***FARMAGEDDON!!! Game Thread***

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I disagreed with the idea that we needed to pass the ball in the position we were in. All I'm saying. There's nothing to understand or not understand, 3 minutes left, you don't have to panic and throw the ball.

When we started throwing it was less than 2 minutes to go.. so we were in the position where we needed to start throwing.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I am betting you don't come on here and actually say you disagreed with it. Pretty convenient on your part to disagree with a play that doesn't work.

I would've probably been too busy celebrating to come on here and make that comment, but I kept hoping each time that we'd continue to run until they proved they could stop it.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
When we started throwing it was less than 2 minutes to go.. so we were in the position where we needed to start throwing.

Even at that amount of time, I still disagreed, simply because we were in a favorable field position with a timeout remaining. Plus, we run a quick enough offense that I think that sequence we could've still ran. You get below 1 minute to go, then yes, you're looking at passing, but with close to 2 minutes left, I didn't feel like we needed to do the passes.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
KSU is not great, but they absolutely do not make mistakes. The officials didn't do ISU many favors today, that is for sure. I thought the horse collar was BS and the INT was just plain wrong. ISU did everything they could today to win and that is all you can ask.

I'm not mad at the horse collar as long as ISU gets the same benefit of the doubt on similar situations. The rule is there to protect players and it's asking a lot for a ref to judge one inch between a jersey grab and a collar grab.

The INT review was the worst call of the game. From two angles it looked like the ball bounced up off the ground and on the third it definitely looked like it bounced off the ground. One of the officials on the field was calling it incomplete. You have a disputed call on the field. Two shots that look like probably a drop and one that looks like definitely a drop so....catch!

I'm actually relieved they beat us by more than 3 because they were spotted 3 points with that call since we stuffed them for a fg. My ISU takes lead 23-20 sailed over heads, bad joke I guess. I'm glad it didn't come down to that.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I'm thinking Barnett could have gotten some major yardage if he faked it to Woody and kept it himself. Overall though, I think it was the right call. Woody has the better chance to get through two or three defenders than Barnett does.

K-State defense absolutely blew up our line on that play. I'm not sure anybody would've had a chance..

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I disagreed with the idea that we needed to pass the ball in the position we were in. All I'm saying. There's nothing to understand or not understand, 3 minutes left, you don't have to panic and throw the ball.

There was NOT 3 minutes left when we started throwing... There was no panic. You aren't making a bit of sense.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Even at that amount of time, I still disagreed, simply because we were in a favorable field position with a timeout remaining. Plus, we run a quick enough offense that I think that sequence we could've still ran. You get below 1 minute to go, then yes, you're looking at passing, but with close to 2 minutes left, I didn't feel like we needed to do the passes.

no way in hell we could have ran in all the way in... K State players would have started piling and slowing the momentum to kill the clock, it's common knowledge.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
K-State defense absolutely blew up our line on that play. I'm not sure anybody would've had a chance..

Their top D-Lineman also had a shattered foot, would have thought it was a safe bet to run against them.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Fans can knock the Herman offense all they want. That 7-minute drive (against an opponent like KSU that doesn't beat itself) was a thing of beauty, except for the inability to finish. Score a TD there to make it 27-23, I really liked our chances.

Loved going for it on 4th & 1 during that drive. I half-expected the fake punt (ISU got away with a hold, too — sweet officiating justice!).

I'm bummed about this loss. Soooo winnable. But I feel better than I did after the OU game.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I think every team that lost to Kstate had a meltdown. They aren't good, but at the same time they're great. Very frustrating team to play against.

It is so frustrating because everything they do (with one long pass as the exception) is in front of you, and is very simple. They gnaw away at you bit by bit. They move very slowly and can seem very nonchalant at times, but then they've got a guy like Hubert to turn on the after-burners. They are not that great, but they play to their strengths and they always keep both feet on the ground. They are, in so many ways, the anti-Rhoads: they are so controlled and if they tried to play like us, they'd get killed.

While it might be against CPR's instincts, there are things about the way they play that we could learn from. Actually, the way we've played starting against Tech reminds me a lot of K-State. We have changed our offensive game plan completely and have evolved into more of a power running team, with an option component involved. Part of that is because of the freshman quarterback, which has allowed JB to look a lot better than he really is, and get more comfortable at the QB position.

I'd look for us to play much more like an OSU going forward - maybe not quite as fast or as pass-heavy, but much more in the bubble screen game. JB has to improve his accuracy but with Lenz, Horne, Gary, and West all very quick WRs, we'll have some weapons on the outside. Shontrelle can catch well as a 5th WR and then we've got Duck for the occasional big run after we've spread the D and Woody as our power guy.

They are building the offense to be multi-dimensional but right now I think we're only seeing one of the two options being successful. I'm incredibly excited about seeing the O play next year... :yes:

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Their top D-Lineman also had a shattered foot, would have thought it was a safe bet to run against them.

Well, yeah, that's why you try running there, they just got the best of our line that time. I'm not arguing the run.. just saying they got the better of our line to the point where I'm not sure anybody would've have a chance, just cause they got to the backfield so quickly.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Great effort today by the kids that came up short.

Regrding the last offensive play for ISU...handing off to Woody was the "safe" play. It's hard to argue against it. But KSU was probably expecting it. So why not try something else to catch KSU off guard? Why not take a gamble? There's still 4th down to try the handoff. KSU is good enough to shut down the "safe" play, and that's what they did.

I know that the defense missed some tackles today, but they held KSU below their season scoring average of 33.4 points. On the other hand, ISU's offense scored right at their season average of 23.5 points. The bottom line is that ISU's offense just doesn't score enough points for ISU to finish better in the conference than where they did this year. Herman has to change that. Some of that is personnel I know. But some of that is coaching too. I guess all we can do is hope for improvement next year.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Regrding the last offensive play for ISU...handing off to Woody was the "safe" play. It's hard to argue against it. But KSU was probably expecting it. So why not try something else to catch KSU off guard? Why not take a gamble? There's still 4th down to try the handoff. KSU is good enough to shut down the "safe" play, and that's what they did.

That play was 4th down.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron