Fans on the 12th or not ?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
My guess is Sept. 1 the Big 12 makes a unison decision. They want to do that, I know. Gun to my head: 25 percent option. No chance they go with 50 percent IMO.
Come on, Chris -- get with the times! Should be more along the lines of, "COVID-19 + guy breathing heavily three inches from my face ..."

• Creative
Reactions: khardbored

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
No, I'm not all that fanatical about the sports. Actually I do enjoy the game but nobody else in our groups pay much of any attention. So it's more about the group than my own thoughts.

And without season tickets I have no idea how/if I'd be able to buy some tickets.

Hey, thanks for being honest about it. I can respect that.

I'm TOTALLY into the actual game, and don't want to miss a single down. I'm so much into the game, that I prefer to sit in the upper deck over the lower because then I can see the entire field better. I don't like the viewing angle as much the closer you get, and then the football players standing on the sideline also get in the way at times too.

I've never understood anyone wanting to leave the game at halftime to go drink a few beers, and then not get back in time, and end up missing some plays or entire drives. But now I know who those people might be..... people like you!

As I said... I don't have an issue with it, I just appreciate you being honest about it. Everyone is different. I'm a little too crazy with my obsession. I will usually listen to John and Eric too on my earbuds while at the game. I'm a NERD with football.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I could see a scenario where even if fans aren't allowed they'd still allow students. I think the issue is avoiding congregations of people from all over the state. So if you can limit to locals, that could reduce the risk of spread both into Story county and spread throughout the state.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
With West Virginia not allowing fans for the first game, no fans is a real possibility. It's the cautious approach that that can lead to larger numbers as the season goes on. Definitely sends a message to the fans that the school is serious about keeping gameday safe for everyone.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

I'm TOTALLY into the actual game, and don't want to miss a single down. I'm so much into the game, that I prefer to sit in the upper deck over the lower because then I can see the entire field better. I don't like the viewing angle as much the closer you get, and then the football players standing on the sideline also get in the way at times too.

I've never understood anyone wanting to leave the game at halftime to go drink a few beers, and then not get back in time, and end up missing some plays or entire drives. But now I know who those people might be..... people like you!

As I said... I don't have an issue with it, I just appreciate you being honest about it. Everyone is different. I'm a little too crazy with my obsession. I will usually listen to John and Eric too on my earbuds while at the game. I'm a NERD with football.
You sound like me with basketball. ;)

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
If zero fans increases the chances of finishing the season I’m all for it. And trust me I’d absolutely love to go to a game. But you can see someone with Covid being at the game and a player getting caught up in the moment and getting closer to said fan than they should.

Reactions: cyclonepower

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If they allow fans I really have no clue what I am going to do. My oldest son is moving in the spring, and he is one of the reasons we have bought season tickets 10 years ago. To spend time with him and his family. I hate the idea of telling him, we are not going, but really do see the use of only going to maybe 3 games.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Come on, Chris -- get with the times! Should be more along the lines of, "COVID-19 + guy breathing heavily three inches from my face ..."

That won't bother CW he's already had the Rona.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
I heard WV already decided 0 fans for them. Myself personally, I plan to go if allowed, even if masks required. It will have the feel of basketball without the tailgating though.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

I think there are still a lot of fans that were around in the 80s when football was unwatchable and that's when the tailgating culture was established. I believe our fanbase is currently in a transition period where there's still a lot of folks where tailgating is the biggest reason to go and as the program continues to get better we will transition to more fans where the game is the most important part.

Reactions: Doc

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If enough season ticket holders opt out of this season, we might be able to have 25% capacity without having split-season tickets. In other words, I'm hoping we will be able to keep our seats and have tickets for the whole season (sort of a mix of Options 2 and 3).

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I heard WV already decided 0 fans for them. Myself personally, I plan to go if allowed, even if masks required. It will have the feel of basketball without the tailgating though.

masks will be required. That’s a given at this point.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Thought i'd heard they were looking at taking the season tickets holders in half and giving all of them 3 games.

How they split those 3 games, however, would be another decision.
With my luck we'll get the November and December games.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
I think 20% to 25% capacity but requiring the signing of electronic waivers upon accepting your tickets would be a pretty sensible solution. I don't think you can ask unpaid student athletes to sign waivers, but asking a bunch of adults who are already willing to shell out the cash wouldn't be a big ask.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think there are still a lot of fans that were around in the 80s when football was unwatchable and that's when the tailgating culture was established. I believe our fanbase is currently in a transition period where there's still a lot of folks where tailgating is the biggest reason to go and as the program continues to get better we will transition to more fans where the game is the most important part.
This is true to a certain extent. I was in Ames in the latter half of the 80's and early 90's and I went to the games but got a lot of enjoyment out of tailgating even when the football was lacking. Now that the team is better the game has become even more important, but we still treasure the tailgating as we have people coming from all over to get back together. We generally tailgate for 3-4 hours before the game and 3-4 hours after the game (depending on kick off time). I don't see tailgating ever becoming less of our gameday experience as it doesn't get in the way of our enjoyment of the actual game.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I anticipate no fans. With that said, I don't see why 20k can't come in and sit with social distance and in family groups. I'll wear a mask and I'm not going to be touching anything. Masks are effective.

Just don't cancel the damn season

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads and RogerQC

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Really curious what the secondary market goes for at 25% capacity (as someone that didn't get in on season tickets)... wonder if anyone that actually gets a ticket is willing to give them up.

Sporting KC playing tonight with limited fans and just to get in its $150 on stubhub.