Facebook shuts AI system down after it creates its own language

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/social-netw...system-after-bots-create-own-language-1731309

"Days after Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg's understanding of artificial intelligence (AI) was limited, the social media company has reportedly shut down one of its AI systems because "things got out of hand." The AI bots created their own language, from the scratch and without human input, forcing Facebook to shut down the AI system. The AI bots' step of creating and communicating with the new language defied the provided codes.

According to a report in Tech Times on Sunday, "The AI did not start shutting down computers worldwide or something of the sort, but it stopped using English and started using a language that it created." Initially the AI agents used English to converse with each other but they later created a new language that only AI systems could understand, thus, defying their purpose.

This led Facebook researchers to shut down the AI systems and then force them to speak to each other only in English."

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
f4c5dbdc-5850-470f-a24a-058682b1dcf1.jpg

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Honestly- that article scared the **** out of me. I don't like the idea of something other than humans creating their own language. Does self awareness follow?

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
Honestly- that article scared the **** out of me. I don't like the idea of something other than humans creating their own language. Does self awareness follow?

Me too. Especially the part about them improving their negotiating skills to get what they wanted, scary ****...

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I'd have to assume that they'll try to break the code of that language, assuming that they got a good supply to reference to. Short of that, if they can't decode it, isn't there a possibility that the AI started talking nonsense?

Maybe that's what it wants you to think.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I'd have to assume that they'll try to break the code of that language, assuming that they got a good supply to reference to. Short of that, if they can't decode it, isn't there a possibility that the AI started talking nonsense?

It very well may have been jibberish, but we may never know.

I'm assuming that is was an alphanumeric language that would make very little sense to a human because it isn't a spoken language. The computers most likely completely broke the rules for how we punctuate, propagate, pluralize, etc. ... along with adding numbers and symbols.

It sound like the computers were talking together to strengthen their English, so I assume that their English skills were lacking at the start. They could have created this tangent language at any point early on that has little basis in English, other than a few words or letters. And it would quickly become unclear where the tangent point was.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
and I totally agree with Musk on this issue. We need to be proactive on regulation here. Because clearly, it can get out of hand quickly, as Zuckerberg is finding out.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The really terrifying part of the article was the fact that they learned how to negotiate. This is a skill that is well beyond simple communication.

It's not so different from playing chess, which computers have done really well for a long time now. You give the program an objective (maximize, minimize or optimize some variable), lay down some foundational ground rules, then tell it to do whatever it can within the rules to achieve the objective.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron