F1 2022 Discussion

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Out of curiousity, as a very a new F1 fan, what are some of the best places/resources to pick up on some of the details and in's and out's of the sport? I'm also assuming that Drive To Survive is a must watch.

I never watched F1 prior to the final race of last season... my quick impression is that Max is incredibly unlikeable haha
Kevin Clark has started a regular podcast on the Ringer. He is a newer fan to F1, and has a guests that are considerably more knowledgeable than him on. Not all the episodes are great, but some have some good stuff in them. Also in typical Ringer fashion they are very DTS focused and look at the popularity of the sport and the drivers and get into the personalities and how all that interrelates.

Other than that, DTS is a fun way to learn some things about how F1 works and has been previously said, Reddit will help guide you.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Out of curiousity, as a very a new F1 fan, what are some of the best places/resources to pick up on some of the details and in's and out's of the sport? I'm also assuming that Drive To Survive is a must watch.

I never watched F1 prior to the final race of last season... my quick impression is that Max is incredibly unlikeable haha

One thing to remember is that Drive to Survive is a TV show and not a documentary. They edit stuff in ways that may not entirely be honest or is skewed to create additional drama and tension that may or may not be there. I know Reddit has pointed out a bunch of times where they edit clips to make it way more dramatic then it is.

TheRace on YouTube has some interesting information from a technical side and a bunch of the teams social media departments on YouTube are pretty good. Mercedes does a 10-15 minute QA video after every race with some of their technical management. It's a very good resource that explains the strategy and reasoning behind them. Even F1s own social media group does a good job of getting into explaining details at a basic level.

• Winner
Reactions: mramseyISU

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
One thing to remember is that Drive to Survive is a TV show and not a documentary. They edit stuff in ways that may not entirely be honest or is skewed to create additional drama and tension that may or may not be there. I know Reddit has pointed out a bunch of times where they edit clips to make it way more dramatic then it is.

TheRace on YouTube has some interesting information from a technical side and a bunch of the teams social media departments on YouTube are pretty good. Mercedes does a 10-15 minute QA video after every race with some of their technical management. It's a very good resource that explains the strategy and reasoning behind them. Even F1s own social media group does a good job of getting into explaining details at a basic level.

I forgot about the F1 official channel. They release some good stuff. Here’s one that dropped today on DRS.

Reactions: StormnClone58

Cleaver

Jul 9, 2015

One resource I would recommend as well if you really want to get into the technical aspects of F1 is to look at Chain Bear on YouTube. He provides really informative videos about different aspects of races and cars and how they apply to what you're watching on TV.

• Agree
Reactions: JHUNSY and tim_redd

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
This is a pretty good listen. You can feel Perez's frustration about not really being able to compete for the win via team orders:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This is a pretty good listen. You can feel Perez's frustration about not really being able to compete for the win via team orders:

You can but even the video notes he's like 1.5 seconds per lap slower.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Sure seems like there was a lot of time between Perez spinning and Carlos hitting him, how did he not see yellow?

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Sure seems like there was a lot of time between Perez spinning and Carlos hitting him, how did he not see yellow?
I don’t think the marshals got the yellow up right away. When you look at the on board- no indication of yellows until Carlos is about to enter the apex of the last turn and by then he’s committed. Hits the brakes as soon as he sees Checo.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don’t think the marshals got the yellow up right away. When you look at the on board- no indication of yellows until Carlos is about to enter the apex of the last turn and by then he’s committed. Hits the brakes as soon as he sees Checo.
Crazy, that's a dangerous error by the marshals, a higher speed collision would have been very bad for Checo.

Cleaver

Jul 9, 2015
Heavily delayed start due to rain storm passing Monaco. I think the stewards made the right call to delay it and force these guys to wait. Everyone that's ******** about the weather can **** off. This is quite possibly one of the tightest circuits on the calendar. Starting under these conditions would be disastrous would lead to many dangerous possibilities.