F1 2022 Discussion

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Yeah, Las Vegas off track is going to be wild. Not only do you get the whales like Monaco (maybe not quite as big), but it'll be maybe a little bit "accessible" to a more casual person as well.

By accessible I mean they might serve beer at $25/glass instead of only champagne at $125/glass
I’m guessing it’ll be one hell of an expensive weekend if anyone makes the trip.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yeah, Las Vegas off track is going to be wild. Not only do you get the whales like Monaco (maybe not quite as big), but it'll be maybe a little bit "accessible" to a more casual person as well.

By accessible I mean they might serve beer at $25/glass instead of only champagne at $125/glass
Probably more like beer for $125/glass and champagne for $500/glass.

• Agree
Reactions: JHUNSY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Finished watching the race late last night. I didn’t watch any of the prerace, so not sure if that lived up to the hype.

Overall impression was that the track layout was kind of meh. Not bad and not great. The drivers evidently hated the track surface so if/when they come back I’m sure that will be new. The race might have been more entertaining if cars could move outside of the race line anywhere but the straights. Max with another dub that looked closer than it really was because of that last safety car.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Finished watching the race late last night. I didn’t watch any of the prerace, so not sure if that lived up to the hype.

Overall impression was that the track layout was kind of meh. Not bad and not great. The drivers evidently hated the track surface so if/when they come back I’m sure that will be new. The race might have been more entertaining if cars could move outside of the race line anywhere but the straights. Max with another dub that looked closer than it really was because of that last safety car.
It wasn't Monaco boring, but it wasn't great. Max used the clean side of the track and big balls to get past Carlos at the start, and then sailed past Charles and never looked back until the safety car. Sounds like rich people were complaining about the service not being great, apparently it was a local company rather than F1 that handled it and they did poorly.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

I'll write the track surface off to first time street circuit in an area they've never been before. Not really any good way to test it other than running a race on it. Probably would have helped to get some more races on it prior to F1 to help get it rubbered in, but that's hard to do with a street circuit.

Remember reading an article a couple of months ago that really got into the nitty gritty of the surface details and how a portion of the aggregate in the asphalt actually got trucked down from Georgia to help get some of the characteristics they needed since all the local aggregates are limestone and weren't as conducive to the racing surface.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Honestly, is Aston Martin not the biggest disappointment this year? Probably close between them or McLaren (sadly).

McLaren has been coming on a little stronger lately. I’m a fan so I love that.

I think Aston Martin is just positioning themselves to be bought out by Audi by spending enough to not be complete ****. I think Audi will make them competitive in the years to come.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
McLaren has been coming on a little stronger lately. I’m a fan so I love that.

I think Aston Martin is just positioning themselves to be bought out by Audi by spending enough to not be complete ****. I think Audi will make them competitive in the years to come.
See I thought the rumor was Audi would come on as a partner with McLaren. And similarly Porsche with Red Bull.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
See I thought the rumor was Audi would come on as a partner with McLaren. And similarly Porsche with Red Bull.

The last I saw said Audi wanted to buy Aston Martin as a whole and the F1 team would come with it.

• Informative
Reactions: JHUNSY

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Some teams came with some upgrades for this week. We will see if it makes a difference come Sunday but practice times for today:

1653074956868.png