Ethan Kazmerzak Found

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
He was at the party and supposedly left. All sorts of rumors going around but he did have some trouble before and people were trying to tie those issues to what could have happened. Sounds like it was just a terrible accident.
Is this pond very close to the road or... ?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
two days after he went missing and again 2 months later they scanned the pond, meaning they drove boats over the water with sonar equipment to locate objects in the water. They also dove the pond but when you don't know where to look and can only see 5 ft in front of you it can be a futile effort. The pond being a dug out quarry the bottom is very flat so any large object seen on the sonar would be investigated. As was mentioned in the live stream the quality of sonar equipment has come a long way in the past 7 years. and thats if the sonar they used was new at the time.

What I don't understand is how they didn't see any signs of a vehicle entering the water when they initiated the search.
I'm a certified rescue diver, and there was a little search and rescue training as part of the course. Trying to find something in low visibility water is REALLY ******* hard.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Sure you can. Would just take a long time or a lot of pumps.
Well, quarry ponds are typically dug in alluvium and groundwater fills the hole, so I'm not sure how you are going to stop the groundwater from filling in the hole. I guess theoretically if you pumped the water out fast enough you could mostly drain it.

Reactions: wxman1

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Well, quarry ponds are typically dug in alluvium and groundwater fills the hole, so I'm not sure how you are going to stop the groundwater from filling in the hole.
You are correct. The lake is actually a sand and gravel quarry pit and is one of many in the vicinity. The pits are located right next to the river. The whole area under the pits and river would be an aquifer or alluvium deposit that could be quite extensive. The aquifer/alluvium is full of water, thus the groundwater level would be the same level in all of the pits. You would have to drain the whole aquifer to lower the water level in the pits. While you would be trying to drain the aquifer, more water would be entering it from underground. The aquifer could be several miles wide and long and be hundreds, if not more, feet deep. Basically impossible to drain within our lifetimes. Great spot for wells.

The GPS coordinates for the location of where the car was found is : 42.808763, -93.232556. If the coordinates are entered into Google Earth you can see the whole situation.

Last edited:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
You are correct. The lake is actually a quarry pit and is one of many in the vicinity. The pits are located right next to the river. The whole area under the pits and river would be an aquifer or alluvium deposit that could be quite extensive. The aquifer/alluvium is full of water, thus the groundwater level would be the same level in all of the pits. You would have to drain the whole aquifer to lower the water level in the pits. While you would be trying to drain the aquifer, more water would be entering it. The aquifer could be several miles wide and long and be hundreds, if not more, feet deep. Basically impossible to drain within our lifetimes. Great spot for wells.

The GPS coordinates for the location of the car is : 42.808763, -93.232556. If the coordinates are entered into Google Earth you can see the whole situation.
I stand corrected.

• Friendly
Reactions: aauummm

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
You are correct. The lake is actually a quarry pit and is one of many in the vicinity. The pits are located right next to the river. The whole area under the pits and river would be an aquifer or alluvium deposit that could be quite extensive. The aquifer/alluvium is full of water, thus the groundwater level would be the same level in all of the pits. You would have to drain the whole aquifer to lower the water level in the pits. While you would be trying to drain the aquifer, more water would be entering it from underground. The aquifer could be several miles wide and long and be hundreds, if not more, feet deep. Basically impossible to drain within our lifetimes. Great spot for wells.

The GPS coordinates for the location of the car is : 42.808763, -93.232556. If the coordinates are entered into Google Earth you can see the whole situation.
So, looking at that 'pond' I don't see how you get a car in there on accident.

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I stand corrected.
No problem man, it's kind of an engineering thing that we studied in Hydrology 436 and Soil Engineering 305. :)

Actually, I don't remember the exact course numbers, I just put those numbers in there as placeholders!

Last edited:
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I agree. The nearest road (Nettle Avenue) is a half mile to the west and is the only way in to that particular pit. According to the dive team that found him, the body was found in the back seat, the windshield had been crushed inward and the front passenger side window had been rolled down (or crushed in?). Weird.

Last edited:

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I’ve seen people alluding to foul play and cover ups, even outright suggestions that the car was put there after the searches. But I can’t find discussion on why or what the conspiracy theories are. Was there talk of this type of stuff after he went missing?

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
You are correct. The lake is actually a quarry pit and is one of many in the vicinity. The pits are located right next to the river. The whole area under the pits and river would be an aquifer or alluvium deposit that could be quite extensive. The aquifer/alluvium is full of water, thus the groundwater level would be the same level in all of the pits. You would have to drain the whole aquifer to lower the water level in the pits. While you would be trying to drain the aquifer, more water would be entering it from underground. The aquifer could be several miles wide and long and be hundreds, if not more, feet deep. Basically impossible to drain within our lifetimes. Great spot for wells.

The GPS coordinates for the location of where the car was found is : 42.808763, -93.232556. If the coordinates are entered into Google Earth you can see the whole situation.

Well, they could drain it on TV. It's easy :jimlad:

• Funny

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I’ve seen people alluding to foul play and cover ups, even outright suggestions that the car was put there after the searches. But I can’t find discussion on why or what the conspiracy theories are. Was there talk of this type of stuff after he went missing?

That would have to be at least in the realm of possibility, right?

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
The dive team that found the car addressed the issue of the original searches not finding anything. According to them, the sonar technology that was used in 2013 would not be as advanced as that used by the current team and the original sonar equipment may have been even older than 2013 technology. According to the current dive team, it would have been very easy to not be able to locate the car in 2013. The current dive team, as I recall, couldn't find it on an initial search, however they changed the sonar settings and tried again. That is when they finally spotted it.

The current dive team was pretty emphatic that the previous failed attempts to find the car was not unusual and was not the fault of the searchers. This info comes from the youtube video posted by the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: wxman1

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Is this pond very close to the road or... ?

If you open up a map on your phone or computer, go to Hampton. Hwy 3 goes through Hampton E to W. Hwy 65 goes through Hampton N to S. Find Hwy 65 and go north of Hampton until you get to 190th Street. Go west 1 mile to Olive Street and north of 190th there are pits east and west of 190th. If you go another 1/2 mile west and about a 1/4 mile north there is another pond on the west side of that road. It is one of those ponds.

Edited to add..... Putting in the GPS coordinates that were given above it is the pit that is 1.5 miles west of Hwy 65 on 190th Street and a 1/4 mile or so north. Pond on west side of road.

• Informative

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
If you open up a map on your phone or computer, go to Hampton. Hwy 3 goes through Hampton E to W. Hwy 65 goes through Hampton N to S. Find Hwy 65 and go north of Hampton until you get to 190th Street. Go west 1 mile to Olive Street and north of 190th there are pits east and west of 190th. If you go another 1/2 mile west and about a 1/4 mile north there is another pond on the west side of that road. It is one of those ponds.
That's not a road, it's railroad tracks.

Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
That's not a road, it's railroad tracks.
Correct. The railroad tracks are just east of the pit. The road (Nettle Avenue) is west of the pit by a half mile. The only access to the pit would be off of Nettle Avenue and then take a farm lane east to the pit.

42.808763, -93.232556

Last edited:

aauummm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
For those who haven't watched the whole video posted by the OP, here is a screen shot of the current dive team showing a picture of the car as it was removed from the pit: Adventues with Purpose-Ethan Kazmerzak-2 .PNG

Last edited:

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Well, quarry ponds are typically dug in alluvium and groundwater fills the hole, so I'm not sure how you are going to stop the groundwater from filling in the hole. I guess theoretically if you pumped the water out fast enough you could mostly drain it.

Yeah but not on a treadmill... Pshaw....

Reactions: DurangoCy