Ernst

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
  • Funny
Reactions: Messi

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Who knows what happened with Ernst, but I believe it was just bad circumstances and timing. I don't think there is anyone really to blame. I'm one of the few that thought he may be serviceable once he recovered. What sold me was his agility and footwork for a high school big. Prior to injury he was an exceptional athlete. I think he cleared 6ft in the high jump.

He WAS redshirted but that was due to his knee injury recovery as he couldn't do full practices if I remember correctly. It was going to take much longer for him to be healthy enough to practice let alone produce. Somewhere along the line, knee injury recovery = bad player that wasn't going to play. It is hardly surprising that what little we saw of him showed much potential or athleticism.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It's the same faces who turn these threads into mega arguments. I don't think anyone has argued for Ernst to be a major contributor or a major miss, I just think people are wishing we had someone like that at this point. Maybe he wasn't going to develop but it couldn't get much worse at this point.

For what it's worth the post of above me seems like the most reasonable way to accept this current reality. It's alright everyone breathe deeply. ;-P

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
i do not even know how he is doing, but I think we would be a better team if we still had Brady Ernst. Big and strong kid. This team needs some kind of presence in the middle. No inside game combined by a lack of players who can create is hurting our offense right now.
Post defense and rebounding are not just about athleticism, but require some size and STRENGTH. Our lack of these hurts us a lot. You must have the strength to establish and command a spot on the floor. When you don't you are susceptible to over the top passes (did you watch the KU game). I could easily argue that we would be undefeated if we had Ernst ( but won't, wink, wink) but I do believe we would have won more games. The KU center is not a great offensive player, or player in general. You just need the strength to body him up and not let him command the spot. We don't have it. BTW .. There has been some talk that Ernst was not a good teammate. Might be true for all I know. However, he was at every summer league game I attended last year, always decked out in ISU gear, and hanging out with our players. Led me to speculate that he would be returning to ISU this year. Wish he had returned. I mostly posted this to agitate some of you, but what I say about strength is true. We desperately need some strength inside.

• Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Saw Ernst play tonight against Iowa Western, really tough to see him playing in the big east. He can dunk, that's about it. Maybe he just had an off night but for as big and strong as he looks, he honestly plays kind of soft, I don't think he's 100% recovered from his knee injury, he just doesn't seem to have much lower body strength. He wasn't a factor on defense or the glass in a game that he was far and away the highest rated player. Had you not known he was going to Xavier, he wouldn't have stood out as a high major prospect, other than a couple impressive uncontested dunks. He's still a 2 or 3 year project.

• Informative
Reactions: Doc

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Saw Ernst play tonight against Iowa Western, really tough to see him playing in the big east. He can dunk, that's about it. Maybe he just had an off night but for as big and strong as he looks, he honestly plays kind of soft, I don't think he's 100% recovered from his knee injury, he just doesn't seem to have much lower body strength. He wasn't a factor on defense or the glass in a game that he was far and away the highest rated player. Had you not known he was going to Xavier, he wouldn't have stood out as a high major prospect, other than a couple impressive uncontested dunks. He's still a 2 or 3 year project.
Doesn't Iowa Western have a big that's getting looked at by some D1 schools? How's he look, or is he injured right now?

Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Doesn't Iowa Western have a big that's getting looked at by some D1 schools? How's he look, or is he injured right now?

Oumar Berry? DePaul transfer,last night there were 4 D1 scouts in attendance(DePaul,Coppin St, Old Dominion and one more I cant remember). Physically, he fits the bill but he's still pretty raw. Right now he's solid on defense and the glass but not much of a threat on offense. He and Ernst are pretty similar but he looks like he has more size and more potential IMO.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

He's not 100% recovered from his knee injury that happened two years ago? Yikes. Sounds like Xavier is taking a flyer here more than looking for a sure thing.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
He's not 100% recovered from his knee injury that happened two years ago? Yikes. Sounds like Xavier is taking a flyer here more than looking for a sure thing.

No way, he's the 2nd coming of Jared Homan, haven't your heard?

Reactions: CyTwins

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Thanks for scouting and sharing.
It is only one game so I don't want to make a conclusion just off of it as he does have potential for rotation minutes in a year or two. That said, it would line up with what occurred if Prohm had the same opinion after watching him last year.
A lot of the hand ringing over Ernst is due to not having the post threat this year and it is assumed that he'd been a Homan type player THIS year. That isn't likely to be the case. If he wouldn't be playing many would want him to be transferring (not noting Ernst would have to burn a year of eligibility due to already RS at ISU) and citing him as a example of bad recruiting by the staff.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm more so a fan of tracking outbursts of intensity

We should do an analytics site to track these powerful new stats.

Fouls of Aggression
Outbursts of intensity
Hulk Ups
Elevations of directness
Conclusions of spatial clearance
Effort utilization (we'll use the effortometer)
Flashes of brilliance
Heightened technical defensive arrays

All of it.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Oumar Berry? DePaul transfer,last night there were 4 D1 scouts in attendance(DePaul,Coppin St, Old Dominion and one more I cant remember). Physically, he fits the bill but he's still pretty raw. Right now he's solid on defense and the glass but not much of a threat on offense. He and Ernst are pretty similar but he looks like he has more size and more potential IMO.

These tweets were in the recruiting thread.

Does this guy play?

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Perhaps you're not credible. De'Quon Lake is the big for IWCC. Berry isn't even a starter, although Lake did have foul trouble and Berry got extended minutes.
Ernst helped hold Lake to 5 points after Lake scored 38 the game before. Ernst was the best big in the game. He had 17 and 7. Before this game he was averaging 11.5 and 8 in 22 minutes/game.

IHCC scored 25 below their average and struggled on offense as a team. Probably all Ernst's fault. Someone let Chris Mack know, maybe we'll get lucky and Ernst will be as desperate as we are.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Perhaps you're not credible. De'Quon Lake is the big for IWCC. Berry isn't even a starter, although Lake did have foul trouble and Berry got extended minutes.
Ernst helped hold Lake to 5 points after Lake scored 38 the game before. Ernst was the best big in the game. He had 17 and 7. Before this game he was averaging 11.5 and 8 in 22 minutes/game.

IHCC scored 25 below their average and struggled on offense as a team. Probably all Ernst's fault. Someone let Chris Mack know, maybe we'll get lucky and Ernst will be as desperate as we are.

Haha, ouch, i never claimed to know a thing about Lake or Berry, watching the game last night, Berry played more (and better) than Lake. That was why I put a ? after his name, I wasn't sure which big he was talking about. All of Brady's baskets were within two feet of the basket with no one near him. You did quite a bit of reading between the lines, he looked like an average juco player last night, nothing special. He had a really hard time holding on the ball in traffic and struggled to finish with any kind of contact and no offensive game other than dunking. I also brought up that he doesn't look 100%, his strength is all in his upper body, his lower body strength is still very lacking, maybe that will improve. He's a fine juco player, its just tough to see him playing in the big east without some serious development in those two areas.

• Informative
Reactions: Messi

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Haha, ouch, i never claimed to know a thing about Lake or Berry, watching the game last night, Berry played more (and better) than Lake. That was why I put a ? after his name, I wasn't sure which big he was talking about. All of Brady's baskets were within two feet of the basket with no one near him. You did quite a bit of reading between the lines, he looked like an average juco player last night, nothing special. He had a really hard time holding on the ball in traffic and struggled to finish with any kind of contact and no offensive game other than dunking. I also brought up that he doesn't look 100%, his strength is all in his upper body, his lower body strength is still very lacking, maybe that will improve. He's a fine juco player, its just tough to see him playing in the big east without some serious development in those two areas.
Do you watch much Juco ball? He compares favorably to most freshman, Juco or otherwise. Then there's the fact that these "rim runners" many suggest are the ones fit our system are even worse in every critique you have here. It's not surprising, many can't get past what a player isn't, particularly under the prejudice of an outdated recruiting profile from HS. Ernst probably will not develop into an all-conference type, but he's an asset. Imo he complemented Lard and Young quite well.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Do you watch much Juco ball? He compares favorably to most freshman, Juco or otherwise. Then there's the fact that these "rim runners" many suggest are the ones fit our system are even worse in every critique you have here. It's not surprising, many can't get past what a player isn't, particularly under the prejudice of an outdated recruiting profile from HS. Ernst probably will not develop into an all-conference type, but he's an asset. Imo he complemented Lard and Young quite well.
Were you at the game in question?

Help Support Us

Become a patron