enCYCLONEpedia: Wiggy, Wiggy, Wiggy, & Jackson

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Wigginton needs to stop taking a contested, desperate shot when somebody blocks him from going to the rim. He needs to have a fail-safe plan.

He is great at the rim and with spot-up threes, though.

I have always felt that Wigginton was Curtis Stinson with an outside shot.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Wigginton needs to stop taking a contested, desperate shot when somebody blocks him from going to the rim. He needs to have a fail-safe plan.

Agree.
Wigginton is very good at making tough shots, but they’re still tough shots. As good as he is at breaking down his defender, the next step is to have that consistently lead to good shots for him or his teammates.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Agree.
Wigginton is very good at making tough shots, but they’re still tough shots. As good as he is at breaking down his defender, the next step is to have that consistently lead to good shots for him or his teammates.

Right. If he has a head of steam going to the rim or an open outside shot, he should absolutely be taking that shot. He usually makes them.

He gets interrupted between the three-point line and the rim often, though, and he needs to be better at dribbling out of that situation and resetting.

Not chucking for lack of better ideas.

If he learns how to pass out of that, like Monté did, like a true PG, he is going to be deadly, if he starts breaking down a defense and then finding an open man on a broken rotation, rather than just going Leroy Jenkins and always trying to finish himself.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Right. If he has a head of steam going to the rim or an open outside shot, he should absolutely be taking that shot. He usually makes them.

He gets interrupted between the three-point line and the rim often, though, and he needs to be better at dribbling out of that situation and resetting.

Not chucking for lack of better ideas.

If he learns how to pass out of that, like Monté did, like a true PG, he is going to be deadly, if he starts breaking down a defense and then finding an open man on a broken rotation, rather than just going Leroy Jenkins and always trying to finish himself.

Well, there's breaking down the defense for the purpose of passing, breaking down the defense for the purpose of scoring, and then the most effective are those that break down the defense for the purpose of creating an opportunity with an open mind to what that is. I think experience will get him to that last one.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Wigginton’s 2P FG % has dropped to 39%. That’s as bad as Jackson’s. If he can convert some of those difficult attempts and misses into assists, or even an increase in his 3P attempt rate, we’ll get significantly better. He’s still hitting the 3P at a higher rate than expected, and his shot selection on those attempts is very good.

Another thing is FT attempts. Of course, if any of our guards got any respect that would be a lot higher.

• Creative
Reactions: brownie

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I'd be interested to know what percentage of those contested 2's are late in the shot clock when someone has to create.

• Agree
Reactions: peteypie

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
In addition to seeing Lindell make improvements in his mid range game, I'm hoping to see his free throw percentage above 75% next year (currently 66%). I think he could work on quieting his body movement on his free throw shot. I'm surprised he's shot this well from three and really has maintained that high percentage in Big 12 play.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
I understand this is a limited roster, but the mid-game is a glaring weakness for Lindell. He needs to be driving into the teeth of defenses and drawing fouls, not settling for low-percentage contested jumpers inside the three point line.

Death of the mid-range game is real and those principles are incorporated by good coaches. It doesn't make sense to shoot mid-range jumpers when you can shoot threes at a similar rate of success. Love Wiggy, but why wouldn't a coach see what Haaland alluded to and tell him to cut that s*it out? Almost every D-1 coach uses Kenpom and a variety of advanced metrics so I don't buy that Prohm isn't aware.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I understand this is a limited roster, but the mid-game is a glaring weakness for Lindell. He needs to be driving into the teeth of defenses and drawing fouls, not settling for low-percentage contested jumpers inside the three point line.

Death of the mid-range game is real and those principles are incorporated by good coaches. It doesn't make sense to shoot mid-range jumpers when you can shoot threes at a similar rate of success. Love Wiggy, but why wouldn't a coach see what Haaland alluded to and tell him to cut that s*it out? Almost every D-1 coach uses Kenpom and a variety of advanced metrics so I don't buy that Prohm isn't aware.

Our shot chart from the Tennessee game...

upload_2018-2-6_14-17-37.png

Our shot chart from the West Virginia game...

upload_2018-2-6_14-17-59.png

The cleaner the area between the three-point line and under the basket, the better.

The difference is pretty clear to see.

I am okay with a few open baseline or elbow jumpers per game.

A throwback here, but this was the Iowa game in 2014 (the BDJ suspension game)...

upload_2018-2-6_14-21-29.png

Gorgeous.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Wigginton doesn't have the options on the perimeter that Monte had when he would drive and kick out. Monte also had the luxury of typically driving in a lane that wasn't bogged down by two bigs playing inside the three point line which explains the previous statement. It makes what Lindell is doing even more impressive. He will continue to earn more fouls calls going forward in my opinion, boosting his efficiency tremendously.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
In addition to seeing Lindell make improvements in his mid range game, I'm hoping to see his free throw percentage above 75% next year (currently 66%). I think he could work on quieting his body movement on his free throw shot. I'm surprised he's shot this well from three and really has maintained that high percentage in Big 12 play.

He elevates and squares his body pretty well from three, so I don't think it's all that surprising that he's maintaining it. Other guys usually have a hand in their face or have to get their shots off more quickly to avoid a block.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Wigginton doesn't have the options on the perimeter that Monte had when he would drive and kick out. Monte also had the luxury of typically driving in a lane that wasn't bogged down by two bigs playing inside the three point line which explains the previous statement. It makes what Lindell is doing even more impressive. He will continue to earn more fouls calls going forward in my opinion, boosting his efficiency tremendously.
Completely agree. Wigginton's vision is improving and still has room to improve, but the only kickout option late in a shot clock are Jackson and NWB. If there's not enough time for another ball reversal, he might as well take the difficult shot himself.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

He is faster and much more athletic than Curtis. Curtis was so strong in the lane that he could muscle his shots in.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
That’s a good response for illustrating how well NWB is doing, but largely fallacious in regards to Wigginton’s 2 FG shooting %. It’s not an either/or of either having last year’s team or forcing it so much that Wigginton is shooting 2FGs at Jackson’s level (and 10% lower than Monte’s replacement). Wigginton’s usage is around 27%, which is closer to Burton than Morris (22%), as is his role.

Wigginton has never been a pg and the current lack of those skills shows in his forcing of shots. There’s a reason why we switched NWB to pg and ask him to create at the end of possessions, and then had Talley running things against WVU.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
When I watch LW drive the basket, I get excited because I know he is only a freshman. While the comments about kick-outs are absolutely correct, I see him becoming more effective, and the more he does it (within reason), the better he will be in the future.

Rock on, Dartmouth.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Wigginton’s 2P FG % has dropped to 39%. That’s as bad as Jackson’s. If he can convert some of those difficult attempts and misses into assists, or even an increase in his 3P attempt rate, we’ll get significantly better. He’s still hitting the 3P at a higher rate than expected, and his shot selection on those attempts is very good.

Another thing is FT attempts. Of course, if any of our guards got any respect that would be a lot higher.

I think him trying to get 2s is vital for his development and the good of the team, though. Guys like Solomon and Talley have been better in conference play and I think some of that is Wigginton putting pressure on the defense.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think him trying to get 2s is vital for his development and the good of the team, though. Guys like Solomon and Talley have been better in conference play and I think some of that is Wigginton putting pressure on the defense.

Yeah, I agree. I think Babb has been limited in that regard by his knee issues, and I think that our offense as a whole suffered because he wasn't as much of a threat to score.