Dune Universe Thread

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Went again last night. Even better on a second watch.

Serious contender for greatest sci-fi/fantasy film of all-time.

Heck, serious contender for greatest film of the century or all-time.

Just everything works and works together sublimely. It's indescribable.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm going to see it in the next couple of days. Pretty pumped. Question, without spoilers do they explain what the strange spider creature is from the first film?

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Saw it last night. So good. This film series is this generation’s LOTR or Star Wars. This kind of cinematography and story is rare.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm going to see it in the next couple of days. Pretty pumped. Question, without spoilers do they explain what the strange spider creature is from the first film?

Spoilers for Part One and potentially Part Three/Messiah but not Part Two...

There is no definitive explanation of what the "spider" actually is.

There are two going theories. They are not mutually exclusive...

(1.) From a storytelling perspective, it is a quick and easy way to show the bizarreness and inhumanity of the Harkonnen that they create this sentient spider creature to keep as a twisted sort of pet.

(2.) That the spider creature is in fact Dr. Yueh's wife (Dr. Yueh being the Suk doctor who betrays the Atreides to "save his wife" from the torment of the Harkonnen... like being made into a spider creature).

It could also be foreshadowing the biotechnology of the Bene Tleilax that started showing up in the second novel and will start showing up in the third film if they follow the basics of the plot.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That's kind of the problem with trying to do long books in movie form. I would love to see The Storm light series by Brandon Sanderson on film but the books are 1000 pages long. Can never possibly fit it all on there.

LotR and especially extended option did as good a job as possible and people still complain about the most minor of details missing or minor inaccuracies. (The hobbit is a totally different story where they turned a 4 hour read into a 10 hour movie)

My theory is if a book is wonderful enough to love, about 20% will not like a near flawless movie simply because they loved a book first or they just prefer great books to great movies. Of course this ends up being maybe 1% of viewers at best. If the movie is actually bad pretty much everybody who already loved a book goes nuts.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
LotR and especially extended option did as good a job as possible and people still complain about the most minor of details missing or minor inaccuracies. (The hobbit is a totally different story where they turned a 4 hour read into a 10 hour movie)

My theory is if a book is wonderful enough to love, about 20% will not like a near flawless movie simply because they loved a book first or they just prefer great books to great movies. Of course this ends up being maybe 1% of viewers at best. If the movie is actually bad pretty much everybody who already loved a book goes nuts.
Can't please them all. Especially the Neck Beards.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Can't please them all. Especially the Neck Beards.

I don’t think The Dark Tower is on the level of Dune or LotR but it could have been a massive money making film franchise or streaming series with 8-9 seasons written. The fact they seemed to barely even try is crazy knowing how much $$$ they may have flushed down the toilet, you knew when the casting came out they hadn’t even thought of a second or third film.

Dune isn’t a guaranteed hit but look at the $$$ it’s making with old and new fans from the love they gave it.

Last edited:

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines

That’s my problem with Denis’s version of Dune. Look no further than Peter Jackson doing a great job packing in everything important into a trilogy. I don’t care that they left out Tom Bombadill. I hated that dude anyway lol.

Denis left out too much and the pacing was hectic in Dune 2. Pacing was amazing in Dune 1

Reactions: mfelske

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That’s my problem with Denis’s version of Dune. Look no further than Peter Jackson doing a great job packing in everything important into a trilogy. I don’t care that they left out Tom Bombadill. I hated that dude anyway lol.

Denis left out too much and the pacing was hectic in Dune 2. Pacing was amazing in Dune 1

Goodness me don't let me imagine the first four books as a seven-piece series of films...

Dune
Muad'Dib
The Prophet
Messiah
The Children
The Golden Path
God Emperor

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
I don’t think The Dark Tower is on the level of Dune or LotR but it could have been a massive money making film franchise or streaming series with 8-9 seasons written. The fact they seemed to barely even try is crazy knowing how much $$$ they may have flushed down the toilet, you knew when the casting came out they hadn’t even thought of a second or third film.

Dune isn’t a guaranteed hit but look at the $$$ it’s making with old and new fans from the live they gave it.
I think that Netflix and Mike Flanagan are talking about/producing/??? The Dark Tower. Mike Flanagan has gained my trust as a filmmaker, so I'm excited to see what he'll do with it.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Is there an explanation on Lady Jessica being the Baron’s daughter at all? Like how did that happen and how did she marry Leto then?

I didn’t read the books, but I was able to follow the nuances of the universe and story (with some supplemental info from my dad who read the books and the internet).

However that twist kind of came out of nowhere to me. And it didn’t really make sense. She doesn’t even look like a Harkonnen

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

In Dune pt 1 I was worried it’d be too slow for casual audience (though I liked it) and not get a green light for sequel.

In a world of “successful” F&F 13 and Transformers 17 I was pleasantly surprised by the movie going public.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think that Netflix and Mike Flanagan are talking about/producing/??? The Dark Tower. Mike Flanagan has gained my trust as a filmmaker, so I'm excited to see what he'll do with it.

They should, just ignore that the film was tried. If they do it right it’s a guaranteed hit as long series or 6-8 movies. It seems more like a 2024 story than a 80s story without really changing much.

Reactions: jcf817

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Is there an explanation on Lady Jessica being the Baron’s daughter at all? Like how did that happen and how did she marry Leto then?

I didn’t read the books, but I was able to follow the nuances of the universe and story (with some supplemental info from my dad who read the books and the internet).

However that twist kind of came out of nowhere to me. And it didn’t really make sense. She doesn’t even look like a Harkonnen
I don't know the books but are all the houses of human decent?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I’ve read book twice and watched lynch movie a dozen times growing up and if it was a big thing it always flew over my head.

Ive intentionally not read sequels though because I know it devolves. Someone here can change my mind to read a sequel or two though if they promise me a perfect cutoff point that makes the original book/movie better.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I’ve read book twice and watched lynch movie a dozen times growing up and if it was a big thing it always flew over my head.

Ive intentionally not read sequels though because I know it devolves. Someone here can change my mind to read a sequel or two though if they promise me a perfect cutoff point that makes the original book/movie better.
Mesiah is good & really ends at a perfect point.
Children of Dune jumps the shark & it doesn’t really matter too much to learn about the prophet and what not

Reactions: HFCS

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021

Yeah my Dad said the last 2 books are real bad and the third isn’t great, so I’m going to pass on reading the series (though I loved these movies).

I don’t want to get myself into another Game of Thrones situation where I get to books 4 and 5 which aren’t great (book 4 in particular stinks) and the author has no interest in finishing the story.

Reactions: HFCS

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron