Does Kolar Come Back Next Year?

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
His parents are professors in Norman. Safe to safe that education was a priority in his house. That doesn't diminish the strong individual achievement while being a D1 student athlete.

If he gets a day 2 grade. I hope he leaves. ISU needs more guys in the league to validate our recruiting and player development. What I don't want to have happen is him to fall to a day 3 pick and fight to even make a roster. In that scenario. I hope he returns and this offensive juggernaut gets ready for 2021

He probably had a year or two of college credits completed before he even stepped on campus. A lot of kids take AP classes these days and can shave a year off. He's probably not going home over the summer and took classes every semester and it's easy to do nowadays.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If he can improve his blocking, his stock will go up a bit.

Yes, the blocking is probably going to keep him from being a high pick. He is just not that great at it, but definitely way better than he was as a freshman. Selfishly I would like to see him come back next year. I thing Dean is pretty solid. Not sure if the JC guy has even played yet, but the TE position is in pretty decent shape, with several highly rated guys in the program.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
He probably had a year or two of college credits completed before he even stepped on campus. A lot of kids take AP classes these days and can shave a year off. He's probably not going home over the summer and took classes every semester and it's easy to do nowadays.
Our oldest was an early acceptance to the College of Engineering and was told "good job on your AP classwork. Nothing will be accepted. Prove it at our level."

CK's graduation has nothing to do with wether he wants to keep playing football. All options are available.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
I’m trying to piece together how ridiculous this roster is going to look next year. It seems like Rose and Purdy are going to come back, but the big question is do you guys see Kolar coming back for his senior season? I feel like he’s going to likely go, but wanted to see what other’s here are thinking. Would one more year raise his draft stock? Right now I see him as a 3rd or 4th round pick if he goes this season.
Selfishly I want him to come back but what’s best for him is to probably get paid while he can. Especially in these uncertain times

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
Basically, all players take summer classes, that is why most graduate in 3.5 years.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Well Manning was an NFL TE coach for a year so hopefully he picked up some details that will keep the group productive regardless of the exact personnel. Obviously talent matters and Kolar is talented, but I'm confident with Manning we'll continue to utilize the position effectively.

Reactions: Brandon

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I think he stays. His injury slowed his start to the season. He has been solid this year but he could be really dominant if healthy for a full senior season. I don’t know where his draft stock is now, but I think there is room for improvement. Especially if our team is even better next year and we get more national attention. Given his parents are professor and his high gpa, he likely didn’t plan on stopping at a bachelor’s anyway.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana

I wouldn’t say it is easy. I found that my son’s high school AP classes didn’t benefit him as much in ME as my daughter’s did in Biology. That being said, my son did have one friend graduate in 3.5 years with a 3.99, but my son said he was clearly the smartest guy in every class. Given Kolar’s gpa I would say he is just really really bright.

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
I wouldn’t say it is easy. I found that my son’s high school AP classes didn’t benefit him as much in ME as my daughter’s did in Biology. That being said, my son did have one friend graduate in 3.5 years with a 3.99, but my son said he was clearly the smartest guy in every class. Given Kolar’s gpa I would say he is just really really bright.

Charlie had a 35 ACT if I remember correctly (might have been 34). The whole TE group are outstanding students and Charlie, Chase, and Dylan are all MEs

Reactions: bozclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I think most the football players take a lot of credits in summer school. You were probably like me and had to work your ass off all summer to pay for school. Those who took summer school, was it really as easy as everyone said it was?
I went to Summer School every year at Iowa State. I would not say it is easier, but you only have 2 classes that meet daily. So, it's easier to keep focus on the task at hand. Personally, I loved Summer school. fyi: I was on the GI Bill for my Major Bills, but I also worked for extra pocket cash. Just a matter of time management.

Reactions: Aclone

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Speed is the big thing for Kolar. High round draft picks jump off the table athletically—usually regardless of their stat production in college. Charlie is more of the production TE, so I’d predict him to go 3-5th round. Prob 5th round in 2021, 4th or maybe 3rd in 2022

Reactions: ISUEmbassy

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Yes, the blocking is probably going to keep him from being a high pick. He is just not that great at it, but definitely way better than he was as a freshman. Selfishly I would like to see him come back next year. I thing Dean is pretty solid. Not sure if the JC guy has even played yet, but the TE position is in pretty decent shape, with several highly rated guys in the program.
Hanika has played all year on special teams, and (very) occasionally from regular sets—about the same at TE as Dean.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
He is finishing his degree this semester I believe he said in last weeks presser, was told by someone who would probably know that this will probably be his last year, that was about a month ago so maybe things have changed...
Well engineering guys and gals (like medical and some other fields) are very smart, have to be to get accepted. 3.5 years to get ME degree, play football, regardless of High School college credits or going to school in summer (not easy in itself), wow!

I think he goes and tries his luck in NFL. However long that goes who knows. Tfall back on ME degree.

If that fails I think he has a shot in comedy (from his pressers)! :D

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If Kolar does go, I believe that might sway one or both of TE's Allen and Soehner to come back. If that were to happen we'd be loaded again at TE next year, esp. w/ Dean and others coming up.

Help Support Us

Become a patron