Does anyone remember Hercle Ivy?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

docholihawk

Oct 9, 2012
clear lake
I believe ISU had a player named Hercle Ivy back in the 70's when I first started following ISU. I think he was a guard, high scoring, could do anything. I always wondered what happened to him. Does anyone have any info?

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I think he still lives down in St. Louis but he is one of my all time favorite Cyclones.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Hilton was basically empty in those days. He would yell to his fellow players "give me the ball, give me the ball"

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hercle Ivy played during my era at Iowa State, teaming up with power forward Art Johnson. Hercle was a no defense shoot every time I touch it kind of player, but could make a high percentage of his shots. He played before the 3 point shot. If he played today, his average would be that much higher since a far percentage of his field goals woulld have been 3's. Unfortunately the two listed above pretty much made up most of the talent on those teams, and I don't know that either was the greatest "team" player. Cyclone basketball is much more enjoyable to watch under Fred.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I liked Art Johnson because he was from Indianapolis, where I spent quite a bit of time. He was a JC transfer I think. I remember running on the upstairs State Gym track all the time and one time the team was practicing there and for whatever reason they didn't kick anyone out. The thing that stuck in my mind was that about every other sentence out of Ken Trickey's mouth was "Get the ball to Hercle!!".

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
My father used to have season tickets during Hercle's time. My dad liked Hercle, but he was fond of saying "You could always tell when Hercle was going to shoot. It was whenever he touched the ball."

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I liked Art Johnson because he was from Indianapolis, where I spent quite a bit of time. He was a JC transfer I think. I remember running on the upstairs State Gym track all the time and one time the team was practicing there and for whatever reason they didn't kick anyone out. The thing that stuck in my mind was that about every other sentence out of Ken Trickey's mouth was "Get the ball to Hercle!!".

I wasn't really aware of ISU BB at the time but from what I have heard, you named the problem.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Art Johnson dominated an all white Oklahoma team during a game at Hilton.
The throng of 300 (3000 announced) was going nuts.

I think that was during a 4 win season.

cyclone83

Apr 10, 2006
Wasn't there a 24 second shot clock back then? I vaugely remember it never getting below 15 with Hercle on offense.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
That was an era when the few students who went to the games would bring their books with them.

What I remember about Ivy was seeing him running back on defense with his index finger pointed high in the air after hitting a shot......and we were down by 30.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Hercle would of blown up the 3pt shot if it were allowed. Not sure if freshmen were eligible back then either, but he would of set a few records.

Jim Zabel! Yes, ol Zipper mouth actually called ISU games for WHO-AM in the 1970's. I kid you not

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Hercle would of blown up the 3pt shot if it were allowed. Not sure if freshmen were eligible back then either, but he would of set a few records.

Jim Zabel! Yes, ol Zipper mouth actually called ISU games for WHO-AM in the 1970's. I kid you not

Freshmen weren't eligible then but I think they still played JV because I remember Ronnie Lester playing in the JV game once in Hilton. Zabel used to get booed when he would put his black and gold WHO sign in front of his table at courtside but one time I remember he took that banner down and replaced it with a Cardinal and Gold one and got a big cheer from the crowd.

Bluffers

Sep 16, 2009
Ames
I sat by him in freshman english. From E. St Louis he was an amazing shooter. The hair and the socks. He wore big floppy socks as a signature as I recall.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I wasn't really aware of ISU BB at the time but from what I have heard, you named the problem.

Exactly. IIRC, Hercle was recruited to ISU by Maury John who died and was replaced by Trickey. If Hercle plays for John, he becomes a well-rounded player, possibly an All-American. Under Trickey, Hercle was a gunner with little inclination for defense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron