DirecTV and ESPN

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
It's national. The Channel 5 thing wasn't local either. It was an entire nationwide group of stations that WOI was a part of.
They'll resolve it before Midnight on Friday. As it was no surprise to me that the WOI issue was resolved before the first ABC CFB Saturday, this issue will be resolved too. I cannot imagine the national revolt if Direct TV doesn't have ESPN Games this Saturday. Just will not happen.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
There is no way that can happen. With the NFL and College football season upon us, there will be rioting in the streets.

You know, I thought the same thing before Donald Trump became President, and yet.... here we are.

As the OP says, it would be a very Iowa State thing to happen. If you're an AT&T / Directv subscriber, I think you should write / email immediately Directv customer service to voice your opinion that Directv do everything in its power to avoid interrupting service to ESPN's channels. I think you have to threaten to "cut the feed" / terminate your subscription. That sort of pressure from their users can only help. I plan on doing so. I will be at the game, but it would stink if all of the Gameday stuff I plan on recording isn't available due to these contract disputes.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
You know, I thought the same thing before Donald Trump became President, and yet.... here we are.

As the OP says, it would be a very Iowa State thing to happen. If you're an AT&T / Directv subscriber, I think you should write / email immediately Directv customer service to voice your opinion that Directv do everything in its power to avoid interrupting service to ESPN's channels. I think you have to threaten to "cut the feed" / terminate your subscription. That sort of pressure from their users can only help. I plan on doing so. I will be at the game, but it would stink if all of the Gameday stuff I plan on recording isn't available due to these contract disputes.

I did just that this afternoon. Paying customers held hostage doesn’t fly with me.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Why not? I have yet to have anyone explain to me how I can utilize a dual tuner and, essentially, watch 2 (or even three if recording) FB games at once on a streaming service.

Plus, I am not convinced that, at 25mps, my family can watch multiple programs in different rooms at the same time.

Exactly. Once I add on all the channels/packages I want it’s basically the same as dish without the problem of lagging with slower internet.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Because it's the best out of Direct TV, Cable, and Dish and I honestly don't know how to get ESPN if I don't have one of those three. I have Direct TV mostly for the Cyclone games.

ESPN has a streaming service. It's usually pretty good and you can get alternate camera angles for bigger games

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
ESPN has a streaming service. It's usually pretty good and you can get alternate camera angles for bigger games

Do I need to buy anything or is it like Netflix where I can get it on my smart TV and just pay for it. I am honestly Streaming dumb. I have Netflix but I don't know much more than that

cyclonefan1983

Feb 12, 2009
Isn’t AT&T who runs DirecTV a big time sponsor for the College Football and the CFB Playoff on ESPN?

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Do I need to buy anything or is it like Netflix where I can get it on my smart TV and just pay for it. I am honestly Streaming dumb. I have Netflix but I don't know much more than that

It's like Netflix. Download the app on whatever devices you want, get an account and stream away.

Last couple years they brought in a bunch of coaches to talk during the cfb playoff games. Was actually pretty enjoyable to listen to them during the game. The difference in coach quality is quickly evident (e.g., Gary Patterson wins usually).

Reactions: Knownothing

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
It's like Netflix. Download the app on whatever devices you want, get an account and stream away.

Last couple years they brought in a bunch of coaches to talk during the cfb playoff games. Was actually pretty enjoyable to listen to them during the game. The difference in coach quality is quickly evident (e.g., Gary Patterson wins usually).
Direct tv always does the coaches panel for CFB games

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
It's a stand alone service, but it doesn't include the regular ESPN programming. For college football, it would be mostly Group of 5 and FCS games. It won't include the games on ESPN/2/U. It won't include gameday.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Why not? I have yet to have anyone explain to me how I can utilize a dual tuner and, essentially, watch 2 (or even three if recording) FB games at once on a streaming service.

Plus, I am not convinced that, at 25mps, my family can watch multiple programs in different rooms at the same time.
With youtube tv I can watch two games at once: one on my laptop and one on my tv. Internet speeds and whether you get it in your area would be the issues.

kcbob79clone

People still have directv? Why?

For us it is many things. We live fulltime in our RV and travel the country. Some of the time we have dialup speeds for the wifi provided by RV parks or 4g and a good deal we may be better but still not streaming speed. DirecTV provides the constant of always being there.

We got DirecTV originally instead of Dish because of NFL Sunday Ticket being DirecTV only. We also got a waiver so we get network television broadcasts since we don't own a home.

DirecTV works out well for us and will until we come off of the road and get high streaming speeds.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron