Did Hitler Live Past WW2

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
There is no more disappointing channel around. Just pure, informational history is a boundless subject and I'd watch consistently if they'd just stick to that.

I have a friend from Germany who referred to it as the Hitler channel. I don't see Hitler as the type to go quietly into the night. If he made it to South America I don't see him living a recluse life. That is why I am sure he perished in Berlin.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I've got one.. Had Germany not let the B.E.F. escape at Dunkirk, it is likely UK would have signed a peace treaty; Despite the propaganda in Germany Hitler did not want a war with England. He sued for peace up till the very end.

All the dominoes would have fallen in a quite different manner. For instance, Hitler's war with the USSR would have at least been delayed; it may have not ever have actually transpired (although very unlikely). England's defiance in a strange way forced Germany's hand to go to war with USSR before Germany was prepared to do so. Yet they still came very close to capturing Moscow.

Had the UK capitulated in 1940, even with Pearl Harbor Hitler may not had the reason to declare war on the US; With Germany and UK at "peace" there would be no lingering conflict between the US and Germany. Remember in 1940 and even 1941 popular US public opinion was still to stay out of the war.

One can easily make the argument that Dunkirk was the single most important event in the whole war.

Although improbable due to economics and logistics, there are probable scenarios that the nazi Germany could have won that war.

That one is an interesting scenario. You could make a similar one about the Battle of Britain. Immediately after the fall of France was a rather dark hour.

Assuming Churchill holds on, I do not see a way forward for Germany, however. The main issue, ironically, comes down to British politics and not anything on the battlefield. How close was Churchill really to going down? I do not think the Germans could have forced the British out of the war by military means. Even if the refugee army at Dunkirk as annihilated, which you correctly note would have been difficult given the Germans were already at their logistical breaking point, then the Germans still need to (a.) chase off the RAF and Royal Navy to open their way to a (b.) extremely hazardous cross-Channel invasion, which would have been hard.

This is why I conflate Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain -- both confrontations are ultimately about if Germany could successful invade Britain. I doubt they could. British air power and sea power was too much, just enough help was coming through Lend-Lease, and running an invasion across the Channel or the North Sea was not something to undertake lightly nor anything the German Army was really prepared to do. It took years of preparation for Overlord; not sure the Germans had a similar patience to be ready for such an ambitious enterprise.

All this is moot if Churchill does not hang on, though. If he is out at PM, then the British might sue for peace, which ends that phase of the war.

Hitler would have still invaded the Soviets at some point. That was the whole point of this thing to him -- his ideology drove him to want the verdant lands to the east, he hated the Bolsheviks, he hated the Slavs, and he personally hated Stalin. It is easier to imagine the Germans winning that war if it was a "one-on-one" between them and the Soviets, but I am not sure if the U.K. suing for peace ends Lend-Lease. The Germans were close to Moscow in 1941, but the Soviet Union was essentially a strategic black hole, with near infinite land, manpower, hunger, and cold for any invading army. Napoleon took Moscow and ultimately lost.

I still think the Soviets grind out a war of attrition on them in the long-run.

Last edited:

JH4ISU

Mar 27, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Hey guys, just got to Berlin for a weekend stop during a nearby work trip a few hours ago. Had some good sausages and a few biers. Decided to pop by CF quick before researching what I should see and do over the next two days or so. Luckily, I need look no further. Added "investigate and solve Hitler escape conspiracy" to the list as top priority. Will report back Monday. Prost!

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Hey guys, just got to Berlin for a weekend stop during a nearby work trip a few hours ago. Had some good sausages and a few biers. Decided to pop by CF quick before researching what I should see and do over the next two days or so. Luckily, I need look no further. Added "investigate and solve Hitler escape conspiracy" to the list as top priority. Will report back Monday. Prost!

The weight of history is on your shoulders. Good luck.

Reactions: JH4ISU

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
History Channel - the station that brought you Ancient Aliens, MonsterQuest, Nostradamus Effect, Brad Meltzer's Decoded and Jurassic Fight Club.

giphy.gif

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Started binge-watching Hunting Hitler tonight. I don't find it even a little bit credible. Multi-camera shoots, designed to look like they're occurring spontaneously. Hand-held cameras with intentional motion to give it the feel of a live shot. Carefully spliced-in reaction shots. I laughed out loud a couple times. They're in the "middle of nowhere" wearing camera makeup for crying out loud. If I'm being honest, I'm not even convinced they actually WENT to Argentina.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There is no more disappointing channel around. Just pure, informational history is a boundless subject and I'd watch consistently if they'd just stick to that.

Same with Animal Planet. Their best stuff is still when they occasionally just have detailed filming of animals doing what they do with no human interference.

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
It's unbelievable, watching Hunting Hitler, how many secret bases, tunnels, bunkers, and cutting edge research projects the Nazi's had going on around the world. Especially for a country of 30? million...

You could get black out drunk by having a shot every time they find a tunnel or bunker on that show. And to think of all the Jews & others they murdered...had they just utilized that labor force who knows what they would have done.

I think it's highly likely that he got out.

The Germans had a plan & back up plan for everything...making sure Hitler wasn't killed or captured? Yea...they had some plans for that.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Berlin's population in 1939 was 4.4 million.

That is roughly the Detroit metropolitan area nowadays.

It was surrounded by 2.5 million Red Army soldiers.

Every one of them wanted to be the one to nail that bastard.

He took the easy way out. Conspiracies are fun but bad for your health.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
It's unbelievable, watching Hunting Hitler, how many secret bases, tunnels, bunkers, and cutting edge research projects the Nazi's had going on around the world. Especially for a country of 30? million...

You could get black out drunk by having a shot every time they find a tunnel or bunker on that show. And to think of all the Jews & others they murdered...had they just utilized that labor force who knows what they would have done.

I think it's highly likely that he got out.

The Germans had a plan & back up plan for everything...making sure Hitler wasn't killed or captured? Yea...they had some plans for that.

Except the losing part...

• Winner
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I do not know why people ascribe mythical powers of competence and shrewdness to a bunch of guys who were ultimately abominable racists and weird occultists.

Many of their leaders had mental health problems and/or huge drug addictions, too.

Plus, as @throwittoblythe notes, check the scoreboard.

Imperial German got much further towards winning than did fascist Germany.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Berlin's population in 1939 was 4.4 million.

That is roughly the Detroit metropolitan area nowadays.

It was surrounded by 2.5 million Red Army soldiers.

Every one of them wanted to be the one to nail that bastard.

He took the easy way out. Conspiracies are fun but bad for your health.
And Hitler himself was in terrible health. He ended it.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/19/hitler-definitely-died-1945-according-new-study-teeth/

French researchers claim to have put an end to conspiracy theories surrounding the death of Adolf Hitler, after a study of his teeth proved he definitely died after taking cyanide and shooting himself in the head in Berlin in 1945.

The researchers reached their conclusion after they were given rare access to fragments of Hitler’s teeth which have been held in Moscow since the end of World War II.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
In my opinion, the definitive history of Nazi Germany is The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, by journalist and author William Shirer. He wrote that Hitler killed himself and ordered his body to be burned. Shirer was a top European radio news correspondent during the 1930's who worked alongside Edward R. Murrow, and came to this conclusion after much research and interviews with those who claimed to have knowledge of the event.

Shirer grew up in Cedar Rapids and donated his articles, research and manuscript of the book to Coe College, his alma mater.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Does anyone think that in 1945, that both the Soviet Empire and USA Emprie were going to win the war without showing the world the head of the snake? Of course history is written that Hitler committed suicide and that was it, it really could not have been written any other way, aside from maybe USA and Soviet military killing him in middle of street or hanging someone who looked just like Hitler. There was absolutely zero chance Hitler was coming out of Germany alive..Then end of the war and his death boosted USA and Soviet population morale to levels not seen since..

USA gov’t could have come out in 1947 and said that purple martians from Neptune were here and 100% of the population would have believed it.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
If Martin Boremann can get out, Hitler can get out. There is no hard evidence of Hitler escaping, but there is hard evidence of high level Nazi's in Argentina and infrastructure and plans for the 4th Reich in South America.

This argument does make you wonder and eliminates the 'no way' camp IMO.

One thing that is impressive when the show is in all of those tunnels and bunkers-- those damn Nazis knew how to pour concrete.

You mean this Martin Bormann? Found buried in Berlin with DNA to match. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/dna-test-closes-book-on-mystery-of-martin-bormann-1161449.html

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The remains that were there had post 1950's dental work on it, had soil only native to South America, and once found, were thrown into the Black Sea.

That sounds familiar. What other most hunted guy recently had his body tossed in the ocean? I don't know but this was one conspiracy I just was never interested in researching. Interesting but meaningless either way.