Des Moines Haircut

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Anyone have a go to place for haircuts in Des Moines? -preferably downtown
The South side Great Clips aren't cutting it anymore.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Roosevelt barber shop. It's in the Roosevelt shops on 42nd right off 235. Ask for Bob or Truc. I've also heard good things about universal cuts just west of the intersection of Polk blvd and university.

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
Skywalk Barbering, which is on the skywalk next to Something Italian, in the Kirkwood building on 4th and Walnut. Dewy and Jake are both very good. No beer while you wait, but they do have Playboy!

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Skywalk Barbering, which is on the skywalk next to Something Italian, in the Kirkwood building on 4th and Walnut. Dewy and Jake are both very good. No beer while you wait, but they do have Playboy!

I get enough awkward boners the way things are now. #Next.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Second Skywalk Barbaring. Been going there for years. The guys are younger and fun to BS with and they do a great job cutting hair. $15 bucks a cut (it might be $17 now). They do a lot of walk-ins, but you can make an appoint to if you need to.

Yeah...quite emasculating yourself going to Great Clips, Cost Cutters . etc. sitting next to little Johnny waiting for his cut.

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
Franklin Plaza Barber Shop. Free beers while you wait. Wait can be pretty long depending when you go though.

Two questions:

Cash only or do they take a card?

When you say long wait....lets say I dropped in at 4:30 on a weekday....are we talking 20 mins? 60 mins? Eternity?

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Some of us like Playboy for the articles, you degenerate.

It's funny you say that. Years ago my English 314 teacher at ISU said that one of the highlights of is career was getting an article published in Playboy. He brought in a Playboy framed "linen paper" article to show us all.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I prefer Sport Clips these days. Used to go to Great Clips but depending on the day and location sometimes I would get a good cut and others I would be disappointed in. I'm not even picky about my cut either, keep it simple short on the sides and finger length up top and blend it in with the sides and it's a very simple clean cut yet amazed how some stylists still can find a way to make it look bad. Plus some of those Great Clips stylists were nasty smell like they smoked a pack of cigs already today types that wasn't pleasant to breathe near while they cut your hair.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I prefer Sport Clips these days. Used to go to Great Clips but depending on the day and location sometimes I would get a good cut and others I would be disappointed in. I'm not even picky about my cut either, keep it simple short on the sides and finger length up top and blend it in with the sides and it's a very simple clean cut yet amazed how some stylists still can find a way to make it look bad. Plus some of those Great Clips stylists were nasty smell like they smoked a pack of cigs already today types that wasn't pleasant to breathe near while they cut your hair.

Whenever I've had an emergency and needed a quick cut and go there, I find out there are from:

Masonic-Signs-Boone.jpg

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Two questions:

Cash only or do they take a card?

When you say long wait....lets say I dropped in at 4:30 on a weekday....are we talking 20 mins? 60 mins? Eternity?

Cash. If you dropped in at 4:30 on a weekday they are probably already closed. This place is exclusive. I used to go there before I decided to stop getting haircuts.

CEO

Nov 27, 2009
Des Moines
Form Salon. 6779 Hickman Road in Des Moines. The stylists are nice and you get complimentary drinks during your cut.

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014