DeJulius Thread: What I'm hearing

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I’d think you would have a point if you added all context, not just some!

I have.......as bad as last season and 17-18 were...losing is still the "outlier" under Steve Prohm. They stink up this season(assuming there is one) and the next like this year.....I'll pack his bags.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
And won the Big 12 tourney in between those 2 misses, but let's not give credit for that.
Ah yes, the great year where we didnt even have a winning record in conference. His last 3 years he has had 18 conference wins total, good enough for a 0.333 win percentage.

Please find me one big 12 with less conference wins over that stretch.

Texas who we like to crap on had 25.

OSU has had a rough go of it lately. They have 20 wins.

Tcu is a pretty crap program. They had 23 conference wins.

For fun, KU had 42 over these 3 years. Prohm has 40 total in 5 years.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Virginia lost to a 16 seed in the first round and won the national title the next year. I guess because they lost in the first round people saying they had a final 4 roster was just stupid.
This right here is an example of how quickly things can change.

UVa follows up that historic exit with another early exit, and the narrative is different. Of course, UVa is talking about one bad game, not bad seasons!

Prohm hasn’t done a very good job. But things can change quickly. There’s hope, although the lack of staff changes is mitigating mine.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Monte Morris wanted to go to Michigan, so Hoiberg gets no credit for getting him? Let's be honest here, pretty much every player we've ever gotten would rather go to Duke if given the opportunity. So, it's ridiculous to say Prohm got lucky that Illinois didn't take THT. You could make that same argument for every single player. We got lucky Duke didn't want Halibruton, Niang, Thomas, Mitrou-Long, Ejim because none of those guys would have come here if they had a Duke offer.

Give Prohm credit where it's due (landing THT and Wigginton, Shayock etc..) and blame where it's due (not being able to land a single good grad transfer in 5 years).

Let's be honest, getting top shelf prospects here requires a little bit of luck. Nothing wrong with it and definitely tip of the cap to the guys for getting great players when they do.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Then you’re saying if he wins 25 games this year, that won’t be enough either.

because he will be the coach here next year, in whatever form of a season it is.

So, if he wins, then that is the opposite of what you actually want, because is will extend his tenure.
What? This was nonsensical. Can you rephrase without fallacies? Thanks!

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
What team was capable of a final four?
His first 2 years , those teams were more than capable. Thats not 100% on the coach but they for sure were underachieving in the regular season. Youre an apologist for this coach so I expect it to be minimized here.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
source.gif

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Ah yes, the great year where we didnt even have a winning record in conference. His last 3 years he has had 18 conference wins total, good enough for a 0.333 win percentage.

Please find me one big 12 with less conference wins over that stretch.

Texas who we like to crap on had 25.

OSU has had a rough go of it lately. They have 20 wins.

Tcu is a pretty crap program. They had 23 conference wins.

For fun, KU had 42 over these 3 years. Prohm has 40 total in 5 years.
Winner winner....chicken dinner. But we have people on here propping him up.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Let's be honest, getting top shelf prospects here requires a little bit of luck. Nothing wrong with it and definitely tip of the cap to the guys for getting great players when they do.

True, unless we get lucky our next stud should come out of the 2020 Freshmen class. Toppin could be a rabbit out of the hat. Right now I'm ok with a game managing PG to steer the ship till Walker or a 2021 target is ready.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Virginia lost to a 16 seed in the first round and won the national title the next year. I guess because they lost in the first round people saying they had a final 4 roster was just stupid.
I think when fans like you say we had a roster capable of making the final 4, what you really mean is "we should have made the final 4". Like you expected it, and anything less was a disappointment. Otherwise you wouldn't be upset over only making the Sweet 16.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
He absolutely should get credit for those. But you have to look at the totality of the last five years as compared to the other teams in this conference:
Wins over last five years:
KU 149
West Virginia 116
Baylor 114
Texas Tech 113
Kansas State 99
Oklahoma 97
TCU 96
Iowa State 95
Texas 90
Oklahoma State 83

In the last three years:

Kansas 85-21
Texas Tech 76-30
Baylor 65-33
West Virginia 62-42
Kansas State 61-42
TCU 60-42
Texas 59-43
Oklahoma 57-40
Oklahoma State 51-49
Iowa State 48-50

And fair or unfair CSP doesn’t get the benefit of starting out his tenure at Iowa State after the previous regime failed.
Ouch, that sucks.

CycloneJoe6

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2012
Iowa
Cincinnati coach just tweeted out a dancing GIF. I think that's enough to make it officially official.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don’t understand why you guys just can’t be honest.

If you all want prohm gone, as badly as you all do, then you have to admit you want to see Iowa State lose

I don't want Prohm gone. I've said it 50 times on this board. I want the program to win, I just don't have long term confidence he'll get it done. It actually makes me sad honestly because I think he's a good guy, and exactly the type of person you want in the program off the court.

Next year, I'll be in my same season ticket seats I've had for 15 years now. I will admit I'm concerned about the future of the program because it's a lot more fun to be in a packed Hilton watching meaningful basketball, and I'm concerned that if we have the year I think we will next year, it will really kill interest in the program, and I don't think Prohm will be fired regardless.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
we looked completely unprepared and had a deer in the headlights look against Ohio State. Of course the same thing happened in the opening minutes of Purdue and Virginia too when we played them. His teams have yet to show any confidence going up against a power 6 type team in the NCAAs, and then of course he got out schemed on top of that. We should have ran OSU out of the gym, but instead, Steve got duped into playing their game. Terrible coaching that day, just terrible.

clones8232

Jun 5, 2015
Cincinnati coach just tweeted out a dancing GIF. I think that's enough to make it officially official.

This is very strange. The comments on this tweet are speculating that. It just seems like a very strange thing for a coach to do before the player has even announced. If it is in fact true.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I think when fans like you say we had a roster capable of making the final 4, what you really mean is "we should have made the final 4". Like you expected it, and anything less was a disappointment. Otherwise you wouldn't be upset over only making the Sweet 16.
The team was a preseason top 10 team. It was a 3 seed the year before which means, by the NCAA seeding committee, that they were a top 12 team the year before. That team ended up having 6 guys play in the NBA(Niang, Nader, Morris, Thomas, Burton, and Mitrou-Long). You’ll never find another team in college basketball history, that had that much talent, and that much experience, underachieve as much as that team did. You’ll never find another team that had 6 future NBA guys that did as little as that team did. Anybody with two eyes and a functioning brain could see the talent in that team and how they underachieved severely with a lack of coaching. It’s not what happened in the tournament. Upsets happen all the time. Hampton beat ISU in the first round. No one questioned the coaching or thought the season was a disappointment. It’s the fact that team underachieved drastically during the regular season and it had a lot to do with Prohm.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
Saw the Cincinnati coach tweeted the dancing Bearcat which apparently means they are about to announce a commitment. Radio silence from my source. Doesn't look good.