**** daylight savings

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I don’t think the changing of clocks for DST is that bad. The problem is our days are just so short in the winter and no matter what you do with the clocks you can’t change that. On the Winter Solstice the sun rises at 7:40 and sets at 4:40 in Mason City.

Also I think our time is set just right in the summer. Sunrise at 5:30 and sunset at 8:55 on the longest day of the summer….can’t imagine people being happy about the sun rising at 4:30 and setting at 7:55 in June if we went away with DST.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Not sure what I enjoy more, my kids being up at the asscrack of dawn this morning or the fact that I will be leaving work every evening in the dark for the next few months. Blah.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I vote we move winter to December 24-31.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Not sure what I enjoy more, my kids being up at the asscrack of dawn this morning or the fact that I will be leaving work every evening in the dark for the next few months. Blah.
but what if you had to drive to work in the dark and be at work till 9 or 9:30 before you saw daylight? And then when you get home at 5 you only get an extra hour of sunlight

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
but what if you had to drive to work in the dark and be at work till 9 or 9:30 before you saw daylight? And then when you get home at 5 you only get an extra hour of sunlight
Totally fine with that. Feeling like you are getting to work super early because it is still dark makes it feel like I have gotten a jump start on my day and it is sort of energizing. Walking out of the office in the dark makes it feel like the day is over before I even get home and that is depressing.

I don't need sunlight to walk into a building and sit in front of a computer. I want it in the afternoon to do literally anything else.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I woke up and the first thing I thought of wast time time change and whether or not Cyclone Fanatic was discussing it. I was not disappointed. DST needs to be permanent year round. I don't like this time of year when it is dark by 5:00.
1000% times better than 845am sunrise. STD time should be permanent year round. You would still have light until close to 830 in July.
Permanent DST has been tried twice before in the US as well as in other countries and in ALL cases was quickly shifted back because of health and safety issues. Stupid if we try it again.
Leave the clocks on STD time year round and or keep the clock changes going. Only two choices of logical people.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I am just relieved to be able to see the kids walking to school or riding bikes. Especially the ones with their noses buried in their phones that don’t even look.

Reactions: VTXCyRyD

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Why can you not handle a small change twice a year? I would rather have daylight more align with when I want to do things rather than not adjust by one measly hour. For the record, if forced to keep one, I would definitely keep daylight savings.
I can handle it fine. My kids cannot. Kids thrive on routine, and this one hour changes our whole week, twice a year.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I prefer the time change, with the number of deer on the road at seven when I am leaving for my 40-mile drive to work and it still being dark out was getting a little to sporting for me. Starting tomorrow at least the sun will be up giving me a better chance to see them and get slowed down, while now, you are on top of them before you even see them.

Thursday morning, I came upon on one that must have been hit by a semi a few seconds before, highway was bright red, and chunks of deer all over the road, it was still dark out and I did not have time to serve to miss the debris before I was hitting it. Luckily no damage but having the sunup would have been a great help in that situation.