Dave Armstrong retiring

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I had no idea where he even ended up. His voice will always remind me of Big 8 basketball brought to you by Phillips 66 or whatever it was. Maybe he was always a Kansas honk, but I feel like he always called the games straight.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I thought he did a great job and yes reminds me of the good ole days. Didn't he say something on air once and got himself in trouble and he stopped calling B12 games? If I recall it was minimal, but, he stopped doing games in our area. Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
His voice reminds me of being young and watching the old Big 8 games.
Yes indeed. Love the old Big 8 college basketball. It was a good league, some years the best in the country. Had some great coaches in the late 80s/early 90s. Nee was the best Nebraska ever had, Lon Krueger led KSU to the elite 8, Eddie Sutton, Williams at KU, and characters like Billy Tubbs, Norm Stewart, and our own Johnny Orr. Orr coach in a very tough league. Armstrong was the voice we all heard on those Phillips 66 broadcast. Good memories.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I thought he did a great job and yes reminds me of the good ole days. Didn't he say something on air once and got himself in trouble and he stopped calling B12 games? If I recall it was minimal, but, he stopped doing games in our area. Perhaps I'm thinking of someone else.
Ron Franklin?

Reactions: Yaz

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Kind of weird to retire in the beginning of the basketball season.

I always enjoyed listening to him.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I had no idea where he even ended up. His voice will always remind me of Big 8 basketball brought to you by Phillips 66 or whatever it was. Maybe he was always a Kansas honk, but I feel like he always called the games straight.

Bring back the Phillips 66 Off the Bench Player of the Game!

Reactions: NorthCyd

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
His voice reminds me of being young and watching the old Big 8 games.

I'd lost track of him and didn't realize he was still doing games. Makes me nostalgic for the old Big 8 and early days of the Big 12. Ron Franklin, Jon Sundvold, Dave Armstrong...now Fraschilla is the only guy out there I feel is really "ours."

Reactions: Halincandenza

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Yes indeed. Love the old Big 8 college basketball. It was a good league, some years the best in the country. Had some great coaches in the late 80s/early 90s. Nee was the best Nebraska ever had, Lon Krueger led KSU to the elite 8, Eddie Sutton, Williams at KU, and characters like Billy Tubbs, Norm Stewart, and our own Johnny Orr. Orr coach in a very tough league. Armstrong was the voice we all heard on those Phillips 66 broadcast. Good memories.

Think of the book/podcast of stories he could have.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He always had some play on words with player's names or hometowns or whatever he could find. Sometimes it worked well, other times it was pretty forced and you could tell he had been waiting all game to use it like the time when he commented that Stevie Johnson was everywhere almost like there was two of him out there, Johnson & Johnson. But you have to respect the effort.

I agree, his voice always makes me think of the old Big 8.

Help Support Us

Become a patron