Cyclone History, 1983

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
We had to sit through some pretty rough games when Johnny started. That game made it all worthwhile.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Ron Falenschek.
Thanks! I just noticed the other guys seemed to hustle off the court, but he stayed out there in the middle of the mob just eating it all up!

In my defense, I wasn't here yet. We moved here from San Francisco just in time for the Fall 1983 semester. :)

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
True story: My job was to read the play by play to a person who typed it. During the last break before Barry's shot, Norm turned to me and jokingly asked who I thought would take the shot. I ignored him, but because I also had several things on my mind. First, I had to make sure the time on the clock when the ball was inbounded, which was right in front of me. If there is a mistake, then the ref would check with us to see how much time would be put back on the clock. I had to watch the clock to see when Barry shot it and how many feet away from the basket he was (I think I said 17 feet) and then most important, I had to guard the typewriter in case Norm wanted to pick it up and throw it. (That was Johnny's typewriter and Dave Cox gave me explicit instructions to guard that typewriter within an inch of my life). I distinctly heard Norm yell "all right" when Barry got the ball where he did and took the shot (I think he thought no way he hits it). When the shot went in, I could hear him above the crowd yell you (expletive deletive). After we got our typing done, I grabbed the typewriter and then muttered under my breath to Norm, "sweet dreams."

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I was there sitting in student section behind the west basket. Falenschek was definitely a student favorite with his average Joe vibe. Hornacek and Stevens were my favorites.
Falenshek played through injuries and Johnny had a lot of respect for him.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Roll call to those attending that game. My wife and I were there up in section nose bleed 232. My ears were ringing and I still could not believe we won with the likes of Falenschek.

Student section for me back then, sold me on season tickets for the rest of my life LOL.

Torks Pub

Dec 16, 2006
Ankeny
I was there sitting in student section behind the west basket. Falenschek was definitely a student favorite with his average Joe vibe. Hornacek and Stevens were my favorites.

I worked for the ISU SID and had to get quotes in the locker room following games. Barry was my go to for quotes. Excitable guy to say the least and my personal favorite ISU hoopster.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Come on... We all know we were there.. everyone of us! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Student section. They were some of the best seats back then, especially if you got there early. Watching that shot drop was just unreal.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Definitely wish I had been there. Responsibilities definitely had me busy elsewhere on campus.

Ronnie Virgil, what a blast from the past. Tried staying in front of him in transition while playing pick up ball in state gym. Gave him two steps space and he was still past me before I could react. Dude had major fast twitch. It was funny watching him dunk over one of iowas seven footers. No way he was the 6’4” he was listed at.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Student section.

Thanks for that. That was nice! I wish we could have heard Johnny at the end of that game.

Next best thing, here's some Johnny Orr and ISU highlights. This ISU-MO game is near the beginning:

And same video, I stooped it at the greeting line, I think after the Lafester Rhodes big Iowa game. Looks like an Iowa assistant coach sort of attacked Orr!