Cryptocurrency

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Bump. This thread was a fun read. Started right at the top of the prior crypto bull run and had a lot of "I told you so" people on the descent through 2019.
Did we figure out who has enough to fund the rest of the football improvements now?

Reactions: cstrunk and mkadl

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Hindsight is 20/20... Still probably a great time to get in on some. But only if you can afford to lose it. But I think we're to the point where the big dogs aren't going away. You could gamble on a new/cheap one and ride it to the moon, perhaps!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hindsight is 20/20... Still probably a great time to get in on some. But only if you can afford to lose it. But I think we're to the point where the big dogs aren't going away. You could gamble on a new/cheap one and ride it to the moon, perhaps!
It has a base. When my broker out of the twin cities says she is learning and studying it, it’s definitely got a general base. Not saying at these levels but it has found a new bottom.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
If you aren’t in Etherium you will regret it in a year. There are plenty of other nodes worth investing one the Ether chain. So many use cases.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Link, MATIC, MKR, COMP, & GRT
Like every major market in history (cars, airplane, electricity, internet, etc), a TON of companies out the door at the beginning of a market. But, the attrition is astronomical starting after year 5 (rough estimate, but probably pretty close).

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Is there a general consensus on best broker/way to buy crypto? I refuse to use RH.

Coinbase?

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Is there a general consensus on best broker/way to buy crypto? I refuse to use RH.

Coinbase?
Coinbase has worked fine for me, but it's better to purchase in Coinbase Pro (same login, different app) because it has lower fees. Don't know the reason for the split apps exactly, but you can transfer between CP and Coinbase for free. I like that they just IPO'd on the NASDAQ for peace of mind on legitimacy.

Binance is another popular one, but this came out yesterday, so I personally am staying away for now:

Reactions: ianoconnor

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
I’m 100% using Coinbase/PRO, most trusted and now as mentioned publicly traded company available. High fees 1.5% to buy and 1.5% to sell. You can transfer money/tokens into other cryptos offered for free. They offer APR of up to 6% on some of the cryptos. Fast and no hassle deposit and withdrawals, lots of data available and give a human explanation to every crypto- they also link whitepages and websites for each.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Sorry if already asked, but where do the American Dollars go when you purchase crypto currency?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Guessing this may end up like the dotcom bubble. A few stronger ones survive the bubble and continue on (Bitcoin/Amazon), others don't make it (Doge/Pets.com).

We'll see. If it emerges as a long term viable option I might be tempted to put a small % in.

Reactions: Macloney

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Guessing this may end up like the dotcom bubble. A few stronger ones survive the bubble and continue on (Bitcoin/Amazon), others don't make it (Doge/Pets.com).

We'll see. If it emerges as a long term viable option I might be tempted to put a small % in.

These are "currencies" that fluctuate large amounts based on one person's tweets.

That seems like the opposite of a safe investment to me, but people are making money. The problem is that it's easy money. If it sounds to good to be true...

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
There is no use case for Crypto. It's gambling, that is fine, but there are no technical uses for it.
You clearly have not done your research. Regardless if these networks or “coins” are ever used as an alternate source of money they will be used for cyber security and certification of authenticity in many forms.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
You clearly have not done your research. Regardless if these networks or “coins” are ever used as an alternate source of money they will be used for cyber security and certification of authenticity in many forms.

Blockchain (encrypted linked lists) have no practical use as currency. The problem being, each new block gets progressively harder to calculate.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Sorry if already asked, but where do the American Dollars go when you purchase crypto currency?
Into someone else's bank account. Then that person "gives" you some digital 1s and 0s that sit in someone else's computer memory, and somewhere else some other Super Secure 1s and 0s say that those original 1s and 0s really belong to you.

It's a revolution in money, I guess?

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hhhmmmm........how hard is it to start one of these? Think I will start BCcoin. What’s the opening bids?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron