Craig McDonald transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I’m not going to “agree to disagree” with someone who is wrong.

Campbell even said that Anthony Johnson only came back to play safety. It’s not even as if he and Isheem are/were at the same position. Young was at Star, likely beaten out by Freyler—who has a better all around game. Johnson is playing the border/boundary/strong safety spot.

Which (come to think of it) might actually be the reason McDonald left, if he didn’t want to wait another year to start at SS.

And fyi, there is a post earlier with an attachment that has snap counts.

Campbell did not say Johnson "only came back to play Safety". The actual quote from Campbell on Johnson moving to safety "number one, wanting to move for the betterment of the team, I do think at the end of the day it is going be for the betterment of him as well"...

Why would it be for the betterment of the team for him to move to safety? Could it be that we lost 6 of 7 safeties from our final 2 deep of the season and we have young guys with experience coming back at CB?

Yes, it will be for his benefit given he likely projects to a S more than CB at the next level.... but Campbell did not say - he only came back to play safety so we moved him....

Bottom line, we have more production in the portal than returning to the team at Safety. Yes, we all hope young guys and new faces emerge there. But there could be (did not say will be) two future NFL safeties that just transferred (let's see where young / mcdonald end up vs. Thompson / Verdon / etc.). I am not saying the sky is falling, I am saying there is some concern there especially with depth.

We had 5 guys that played a lot of safety last year we have 1 returning and 1 that moved to S from CB. That means we need 3 guys to step up (at least). Could we find 3 new guys? Sure, there are bodies that could become players there. But I don't think any of them will be better than McD, Young - especially early on. Hope I am wrong but I will wait to see it on the field.

My hope is Thompson, Verdon and one of the other young guys step up. But not expecting them to be the same as guys that are in years 2 or 3 with program.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and cyc26

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We have seen Campbell move CB’s and Safeties switch before as needed. Just like we have seen DE’s and DT’s switch as needed. Maybe a CB moves to S.

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
I would disagree that Blake Peterson has played meaningful football at ISU. He's gotten spot snaps here and there, but it's mostly special teams. MJ Anderson has at MN, but he's going through a system change. I'd put Orange and Joey Peterson in the same boat as Verdon, Howard and Cooper...talented players who either haven't seen the field much yet or just got here. I personally doubt that Johnny Wilson ever sees the field at ISU. He hasn't played yet and seems to be behind guys that are younger than him.

I don't disagree that DL is in a better position than S, but the biggest difference right now is the lack of bodies at S. Add one more guy from the portal and we're going to be fine there.
Blake played in 5 games and registered 2 sacks, two of the games were close losses (Clemson and TTU). I'd categorize that as 'meaningful football.'

Orange and Peterson could be put in the same boat as Verdon only if they were both asked to start this year... which they certainly wont be. Verdon likely will be asked, even if he's not ready. All I am saying is that it is a huge jump for one starter and all backups at safety this year, i'm sure they'll grab another body from the portal and manage but still it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Reactions: cymonw1980

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
Freyler didn't start to play until November (when Isheem started to see less and less time) and Purchase only appeared in half the games played and was average...

Still tho, those are very different situations (and more manageable for Freyler/Purchase) than where we are right now. As it is at this time, one of the starters at the safety position, and all the 2nd string guys have yet to play any sort of meaningful snaps on the defensive side of the ball in their careers at ISU.
Iowa fan just buzzing around. Freyler played early in the year right? I remember him being very impressive in the Iowa game, in fact thinking we were going to have to deal with him for the next few years.

• Haha
Reactions: cyc26 and VeloClone

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
Iowa fan just buzzing around. Freyler played early in the year right? I remember him being very impressive in the Iowa game, in fact thinking we were going to have to deal with him for the next few years.
Iowa fan or closet Cyclone? Very odd to have to Cyclone fanatic account as a Hawk fan.

Interesting logic there.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Blake played in 5 games and registered 2 sacks, two of the games were close losses (Clemson and TTU). I'd categorize that as 'meaningful football.'

Orange and Peterson could be put in the same boat as Verdon only if they were both asked to start this year... which they certainly wont be. Verdon likely will be asked, even if he's not ready. All I am saying is that it is a huge jump for one starter and all backups at safety this year, i'm sure they'll grab another body from the portal and manage but still it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Blake Peterson was basically 3rd string at DE. He was not in any kind of rotation there. We probably have a different definition of meaningful football. That said, I don't think we disagree all that much. You basically have two returning starters at S and the other one is likely a RSFR. That's a concern for sure.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
Is Justice Ugo (DB out of Blinn) a possibility? See that he’s announcing today.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
jokes-joke.gif

The OP obviously broke the bro code of including a jimlad or appropriate smiley face. Considering some of the stuff people are way too serious about on here it def was necessary in this crazy thread.