Craig McDonald transferring

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Well given that there are literally 10-12+ guys in the D-line position room and only 6 in the safety room, (counting the new transfer)... I would beg to differ.
10-12 in DL room include interior and outside DL guys?

To be comparable how many are in the DB room? Always possible the coaches could move a CB to safety to have the strongest 2 deep (10 guys).

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
10-12 in DL room include interior and outside DL guys?

To be comparable how many are in the DB room? Always possible the coaches could move a CB to safety to have the strongest 2 deep (10 guys).
In the defense that ISU plays now, there are primarily 3 safeties and 3 defensive linemen on the field at one time. Hence the 3-3-5...

Therefore, when you need 3 of each group on the field at one time, having a total of 12 D-linemen on the team and only 7 safeties (with only 2 of those 7 seeing actual action on the defensive side of the ball in the past at ISU) is a huge difference in depth.

CB's and safeties are very different, especially in this style of defense. So counting both safeties and CB's as one positional "DB" group is not logical.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
This is where athletes will need guidance from a agent or marketing agency.

Maybe he could pull off a camp in 10 days, but that seems like a recipe for disaster. I don't know what he was charging or how many attendees he wanted- but if his team was serious they should have announced camp at least 90 days in advance. Would also be curious if they marketed beyond Twitter.
I had the same thoughts when i saw the camp posted....it looked like payments and such were through a third party....but my honest first thoughts were:

1. I don't think he has the name rec to truly draw enough attendees to make it worthwhile
2. I think it was $55 a kid....that seems pricey for a day camp
3. I've seen some other athletes doing some individual workouts by the hour and you'd think that may be a better way to make money with your skills
4. I thought "if this is a flop....future camps like this by other athletes may also flop because there is only so many youth in central iowa that will pay for this"

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I honestly cannot imagine how the membership in AAU makes any difference to a player. Most probably have no idea that the university ever was a member or what it even means or meant. Membership consists of an incredibly tiny minority of NCAA division one schools. Does non-membership change the academic programs at all? No.

what would Dan McCarney have to do with sorting out the AAU business?

It seemed to me that the post you are both replying to was meant as a joke, but I could certainly be wrong about that...

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Agree to disagree.

I am not sure if Johnson moves to safety if we don't lose Isheem Young and other depth at safety from a year ago. Also, not clear to me if Freyler starts over Young / McDonald. But don't have snap counts by player, by game....

If we look at the depth charts at free safety all 3 guys from the Clemson game are in the portal:

King, Amos, Morgan

If we look at the other two spots the only guy remaining now is Freyler with two in the portal and one an NFL UDFA:

Eisworth, McDonald (both gone)

Isheem Young, Freyler

So, from the final 2 deep of the season we have one of 7 guys left. I believe Young, McDonald, Freyler, and Johnson are part of your starting group at DB. Then you add one corner from Tampa, Kyle, and Purchase to be your 5th starter.

But if you want to say Freyler, Johnson start and the 3rd safety is McDonald or Young and we start 2 of tampa/kyle/purchase at CB... that is fine.

The reality is all 7 of those guys play a lot this year if they are all here. Doesn't really matter too much who is #1, who is an "or", etc. They would all play a lot. Losing 2 key pieces and 6 of your top 7 from your final depth chart at safety is not ideal - especially when 5 of the 6 are leaving via the portal.

Finally, there were 15 DBs that played and recorded stats on Def last year. Six participated and recorded stats in 10+ games. One ran out of eligibility, 4 transferred, 2 return. Those DBs forced 10 turnovers. All 10 are gone, 8 are in the portal.

I am optimistic about the young guys and love Freyler. But a football team is about depth. You need bodies with experience and talent beyond the starters. Its not about the top 3 at safety. It's the top 6 or 7.
I’m not going to “agree to disagree” with someone who is wrong.

Campbell even said that Anthony Johnson only came back to play safety. It’s not even as if he and Isheem are/were at the same position. Young was at Star, likely beaten out by Freyler—who has a better all around game. Johnson is playing the border/boundary/strong safety spot.

Which (come to think of it) might actually be the reason McDonald left, if he didn’t want to wait another year to start at SS.

And fyi, there is a post earlier with an attachment that has snap counts.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Coach Mac sat on the exec board for AAU for 8 years. He definitely still has pull. Since leaving coaching and focusing on research grant allocation he has a strong internal network there.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
2/7 listed have actual, B12, in-game experience on the defensive side of the ball (and one of those played a completely different position last year). That is not a lot, at all.

Verdon and Chambers have only ever played special teams and Thompson/Howard/Cooper have never even played a game at ISU.
Same can be said about Freyler and Purchase a year ago.

How’s that turn out?

Reactions: Frak

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
CB's and safeties are very different, especially in this style of defense. So counting both safeties and CB's as one positional "DB" group is not logical.
I would agree with you. Except for the fact of all of the players who have flipped back and forth between corner and safety since CMC has been here.

That said, if the coaches do feel there is still a depth issue this fall, I’m pretty sure they can find someone in the Portal before too very long.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
In the defense that ISU plays now, there are primarily 3 safeties and 3 defensive linemen on the field at one time. Hence the 3-3-5...

Therefore, when you need 3 of each group on the field at one time, having a total of 12 D-linemen on the team and only 7 safeties (with only 2 of those 7 seeing actual action on the defensive side of the ball in the past at ISU) is a huge difference in depth.

I mean, you could logically argue that the DL has 3 guys who have played meaningful snaps at ISU...McDonald, Lee and Singleton. A majority of that 12 man room has only played special teams and mop up time.

I do think that you can switch CBs to S (or S to CB) if you have the right kind of player. Antoine did it, so did Kymani King, so did DJ Miller. But we're not exactly deep at CB either. It's also possible to move one of the smaller LBs to S if you're in a pinch, but you don't see that as often. Personally, I'm more concerned about lack of bodies at S than I am lack of talent or experience.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I honestly cannot imagine how the membership in AAU makes any difference to a player. Most probably have no idea that the university ever was a member or what it even means or meant. Membership consists of an incredibly tiny minority of NCAA division one schools. Does non-membership change the academic programs at all? No.

Coach Mac sat on the exec board for AAU for 8 years. He definitely still has pull. Since leaving coaching and focusing on research grant allocation he has a strong internal network there.

jokes-joke.gif

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
Same can be said about Freyler and Purchase a year ago.

How’s that turn out?
Freyler didn't start to play until November (when Isheem started to see less and less time) and Purchase only appeared in half the games played and was average...

Still tho, those are very different situations (and more manageable for Freyler/Purchase) than where we are right now. As it is at this time, one of the starters at the safety position, and all the 2nd string guys have yet to play any sort of meaningful snaps on the defensive side of the ball in their careers at ISU.

Reactions: cymonw1980

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
I mean, you could logically argue that the DL has 3 guys who have played meaningful snaps at ISU...McDonald, Lee and Singleton. A majority of that 12 man room has only played special teams and mop up time.

I do think that you can switch CBs to S (or S to CB) if you have the right kind of player. Antoine did it, so did Kymani King, so did DJ Miller. But we're not exactly deep at CB either. It's also possible to move one of the smaller LBs to S if you're in a pinch, but you don't see that as often. Personally, I'm more concerned about lack of bodies at S than I am lack of talent or experience.
MJ Anderson (transfer from Minn) and Blake Peterson have played meaningful football and are also both going into their fourth year in college. We have heard about the talent and potential from Orange, Joey Petersen and the kid out of KC... clearly were in a better spot at Dline than safety.

S will be interesting, I hope AJ and Beau can stay healthy and a couple other guys step up there this season but surely is an area of concern now that two major contributors have transferred away.

• Agree
Reactions: cymonw1980

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
MJ Anderson (transfer from Minn) and Blake Peterson have played meaningful football and are also both going into their fourth year in college. We have heard about the talent and potential from Orange, Joey Petersen and the kid out of KC... clearly were in a better spot at Dline than safety.

S will be interesting, I hope AJ and Beau can stay healthy and a couple other guys step up there this season but surely is an area of concern now that two major contributors have transferred away.
I would disagree that Blake Peterson has played meaningful football at ISU. He's gotten spot snaps here and there, but it's mostly special teams. MJ Anderson has at MN, but he's going through a system change. I'd put Orange and Joey Peterson in the same boat as Verdon, Howard and Cooper...talented players who either haven't seen the field much yet or just got here. I personally doubt that Johnny Wilson ever sees the field at ISU. He hasn't played yet and seems to be behind guys that are younger than him.

I don't disagree that DL is in a better position than S, but the biggest difference right now is the lack of bodies at S. Add one more guy from the portal and we're going to be fine there.