Craig McDonald transferring

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I think it's wisconsin... but could be wrong. just my guess.
Considering that he’s been posting highlights on Twitter today, that looks a lot more like someone trying to find a landing spot than someone who got offered a bag of cash. To me, at least.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I count 7. Freyler, Verdon, Johnson, Chambers, Thompson, Howard, Cooper. Still thin though. I think that you can get by with 7, but any injuries may be tough to overcome and it definitely will affect special teams.
We are gonna be seeing walk ons out there at times. You have to wonder what the impact on special teams, too. Specifically the coverage units on punt and kick off. A lot of the guys leaving were involved in that regard.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What a weird catch 22 it is, to have a great college DB like Anthony Johnson stick around for an improbable extra year, only to turn around and lose a projected starter at the same position.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Based on NFL draft CB is a highly compensated position. Maybe all this says is DBs have more opportunity for NIL than most positions and the players know it.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Nothing anybody cannot do, but made a guess, being generous to the kids:
2 starters, 7 on second team, 5 possible future depth and 7 probably never going to play.
5 CB, 4S, 4WR, 2QB, 2LB, 2DL, and 1 OL

Somebody made a great point, coverage teams might be the biggest loss. Although Young and McDonald really dent the safety room, especially since we play three.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Between Anthony Johnson only using his COVID year to spend a season at safety and Beau Freyler being what looks a lot like a future All American, you only get one open starting spot left.

That’s not two starters leaving. So, which one is it?

Agree to disagree.

I am not sure if Johnson moves to safety if we don't lose Isheem Young and other depth at safety from a year ago. Also, not clear to me if Freyler starts over Young / McDonald. But don't have snap counts by player, by game....

If we look at the depth charts at free safety all 3 guys from the Clemson game are in the portal:

King, Amos, Morgan

If we look at the other two spots the only guy remaining now is Freyler with two in the portal and one an NFL UDFA:

Eisworth, McDonald (both gone)

Isheem Young, Freyler

So, from the final 2 deep of the season we have one of 7 guys left. I believe Young, McDonald, Freyler, and Johnson are part of your starting group at DB. Then you add one corner from Tampa, Kyle, and Purchase to be your 5th starter.

But if you want to say Freyler, Johnson start and the 3rd safety is McDonald or Young and we start 2 of tampa/kyle/purchase at CB... that is fine.

The reality is all 7 of those guys play a lot this year if they are all here. Doesn't really matter too much who is #1, who is an "or", etc. They would all play a lot. Losing 2 key pieces and 6 of your top 7 from your final depth chart at safety is not ideal - especially when 5 of the 6 are leaving via the portal.

Finally, there were 15 DBs that played and recorded stats on Def last year. Six participated and recorded stats in 10+ games. One ran out of eligibility, 4 transferred, 2 return. Those DBs forced 10 turnovers. All 10 are gone, 8 are in the portal.

I am optimistic about the young guys and love Freyler. But a football team is about depth. You need bodies with experience and talent beyond the starters. Its not about the top 3 at safety. It's the top 6 or 7.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Just my opinion, but if he's upset because of low registrations for his camp, then his expectations were too high. Like it or not, he's not a known name to many people. He started, what, 4-5 games for ISU? I mean, if Greg Eisworth and Anthony Johnson were running a DB camp, that's at least a little more name recognition. But honestly, if I were to pay for my elementary age kid to go to a FB camp (and I have before), it would be with the actual coaching staff. It would take some pretty big names to skip that and instead go to a player-led camp. Like if last year, Purdy, Hall, Rose and Kolar were running a camp, then I'd consider doing that.

Didn't mean he left due to low participation in a camp...

I do wonder if there were concerns about the camp from the coaching staff. Did he clear it with them, etc. The camp advertised McDonald + Howard & "other ISU athletes". Now it is just McDonald.. could just be reworded, could be that coaches were well aware of this ahead of time, etc. Just interesting timing.

Announce the camp 4/20, delay the camp 4/28, transfer 4/30.

Could be nothing to do with the camp and just got an offer he could not refuse.

• Haha
Reactions: Cycl0nepower

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Agree to disagree.

I am not sure if Johnson moves to safety if we don't lose Isheem Young and other depth at safety from a year ago. Also, not clear to me if Freyler starts over Young / McDonald. But don't have snap counts by player, by game....

If we look at the depth charts at free safety all 3 guys from the Clemson game are in the portal:

King, Amos, Morgan

If we look at the other two spots the only guy remaining now is Freyler with two in the portal and one an NFL UDFA:

Eisworth, McDonald (both gone)

Isheem Young, Freyler

So, from the final 2 deep of the season we have one of 7 guys left. I believe Young, McDonald, Freyler, and Johnson are part of your starting group at DB. Then you add one corner from Tampa, Kyle, and Purchase to be your 5th starter.

But if you want to say Freyler, Johnson start and the 3rd safety is McDonald or Young and we start 2 of tampa/kyle/purchase at CB... that is fine.

The reality is all 7 of those guys play a lot this year if they are all here. Doesn't really matter too much who is #1, who is an "or", etc. They would all play a lot. Losing 2 key pieces and 6 of your top 7 from your final depth chart at safety is not ideal - especially when 5 of the 6 are leaving via the portal.

Finally, there were 15 DBs that played and recorded stats on Def last year. Six participated and recorded stats in 10+ games. One ran out of eligibility, 4 transferred, 2 return. Those DBs forced 10 turnovers. All 10 are gone, 8 are in the portal.

I am optimistic about the young guys and love Freyler. But a football team is about depth. You need bodies with experience and talent beyond the starters. Its not about the top 3 at safety. It's the top 6 or 7.

First off, I think that Anthony Johnson was either moving to Safety or moving on. There was no way he was coming back to play CB. My guess is that the NFL told him to get some film at Safety and if we weren't going to let him do it, someone else would.

Second, I believe that Freyler was going to start this year regardless of whether Young came back or not. Now, it could be that he'd be starting along side Young, but I 100% believe that he's the best player in our secondary (or at least 1B to Johnson) regardless of who came back or who didn't.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
First off, I think that Anthony Johnson was either moving to Safety or moving on. There was no way he was coming back to play CB. My guess is that the NFL told him to get some film at Safety and if we weren't going to let him do it, someone else would.

Second, I believe that Freyler was going to start this year regardless of whether Young came back or not. Now, it could be that he'd be starting along side Young, but I 100% believe that he's the best player in our secondary (or at least 1B to Johnson) regardless of who came back or who didn't.
Fair enough. Doesn’t change the fact that we have more production in the portal than we do returning. We had 5 very productive players at safety a year ago. Three Transferred one graduated, one returns. We have two. We need 3 more (at least).

Got a juco. Hope he is great. Have some true fresh. Hope they are great. Have some young guys who did not see the field much (including Verdon). Hope they are great.

I am not trying to be negative. But some people act like we lost nothing. There is a lot of talent and depth that left the DB room through the portal. That’s all I am saying. Freyler may be the best DB on the team. I hope he is. He did not have the splash plays though. We return 0 of 10 turnovers from the DB unit. Eight of those TOs are in the portal.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Ant is at safety per nfl feedback.

Reactions: Aclone and Cyclad

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Fair enough. Doesn’t change the fact that we have more production in the portal than we do returning. We had 5 very productive players at safety a year ago. Three Transferred one graduated, one returns. We have two. We need 3 more (at least).

Got a juco. Hope he is great. Have some true fresh. Hope they are great. Have some young guys who did not see the field much (including Verdon). Hope they are great.

I am not trying to be negative. But some people act like we lost nothing. There is a lot of talent and depth that left the DB room through the portal. That’s all I am saying. Freyler may be the best DB on the team. I hope he is. He did not have the splash plays though. We return 0 of 10 turnovers from the DB unit. Eight of those TOs are in the portal.
We lost two starter quality guys who both split snaps (Young & McDonald).

We lost several depth pieces/rotational guys as well as some guys who strictly were non-factors on defense and got some special teams run.

The two I mentioned at the top hurt, no other way to put that. The rest, meh.

I’d venture to say we aren’t done adding to the DB room before fall as well.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Well to be fair, the portal is about turnover...

:D