Coaching Search: Place your bets

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
five wins in two years.

There's not many coachs in the country who was going to win more games than that with the team that McCarney left. Chizik is a huge part of the reason CPR had success. Had Chizik stayed and kept on his recruiting pace, you could have seen some great teams.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
There's not many coachs in the country who was going to win more games than that with the team that McCarney left. Chizik is a huge part of the reason CPR had success. Had Chizik stayed and kept on his recruiting pace, you could have seen some great teams.
No, check CPR's roster - over half of the starters, and most of the stars - on Rhoads' first team were Mac recruits.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I agree. And also agree that Chizik was a hot name - then why couldn't such a hot name attract a better coaching staff. Don't you agree?

I don't disagree. I think he made some weird choices on assistants. However, the fact that our budget was nearly half of what it is right now may have also played into that.

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
Ignoring the results of that game, just from the little bit I watched it looks like Craig Smith’s offense flows much better than TJ’s. TJ’s offense looks very similar to Prohm’s...
The announcers said there were only 2-3 returning players for UNLV, which might affect that, whereas I think USU had a few that have been there for a while. They also said UNLV had a 33 day layoff due to covid, which probably didn't help. But yeah, Smith seems to be a better coach at this point, I think I saw that USU beat UNLV by about a dozen a couple of days later.

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
The announcers said there were only 2-3 returning players for UNLV, which might affect that, whereas I think USU had a few that have been there for a while. They also said UNLV had a 33 day layoff due to covid, which probably didn't help. But yeah, Smith seems to be a better coach at this point, I think I saw that USU beat UNLV by about a dozen a couple of days later.
Player retention is a huge indicator if you’re going to be successful or not. Can’t have that happen or else the program suffers. Prohm is an example and if you’re numbers regarding UNLV are accurate, that’s a red flag for TJ.

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Proven successful tactic at the mid-major level. Not so much in the Big 12. There’s no defense that is good enough to play in the 60’s in this league.
When you get to this level, every team has guys who can hit tough shots. Not saying defense doesn't matter but great offense beats great defense in today's game.

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
After seeing two people stepped up for a $10M pedestrian bridge to JTS, I’ve reset my thinking on buyout barriers. If JP had a candidate that generated excitement, I may be wrong, but I suspect there are some donors out there willing to go to bat for ISU’s basketball program In a similar matter given our COVID budget shortfall In ISU atheletics.

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
Player retention is a huge indicator if you’re going to be successful or not. Can’t have that happen or else the program suffers. Prohm is an example and if you’re numbers regarding UNLV are accurate, that’s a red flag for TJ.
2nd year in, and he cleaned house and brought in 7 freshmen. Probably shouldn't have done that, lol, but i guess no one expected covid to hit, and not be able to bring them along during the offseason.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The people who use record as a deciding factor for NOT wanting Hoiberg need to take a step back and realize record doesn't matter. What was Chizik at ISU before he moved up to Auburn? 5-19 and won a Natty a couple years later.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Minnyclonenut

Mar 1, 2021
2nd year in, and he cleaned house and brought in 7 freshmen. Probably shouldn't have done that, lol, but i guess no one expected covid to hit, and not be able to bring them along during the offseason.

David Jenkins Jr, Caleb grill, Moses wood - all players with experience and guys he’s been on for a long time. Jenkins and Bryce Hamilton their two main guys had multiple years together at UNLV, they still play 1 on 1 ball. The roster was poorly constructed and its equaled the 2nd worst season ever at UNLV.

Reactions: Cyclone Rebel