Coaching Search: Place your bets

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I don’t really care who it is, this is so bad it might take a couple coaching changes to find the right guy. I don’t think people realize how bad this is and how the mountain is to compete in this conference.

but at least TJ knows what it takes to win here, he has seen it. Guys like Prohm and Greg in his here, never understand what it takes to compete in the Big12 because they have never been at this level.

then they get here and the ol ball screen with an NBA guard doesn’t work, and they can’t adjust because they never saw it not work and they don’t know anything else.

I would be really nervous about any mid major guy coming in here that didn’t have any power 5 assistant experience.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
This is 100% fair and pretty much where I’m at. The only way I don’t want TJ is if he’s Pollard’s only focus. Do a full search and if he’s the best option, hire him.

But there is a segment out there saying “TJ = Prohm” which is ridiculous. He may be successful, he may not. But no one knows how it will turn out.

Watch a UNLV game. He = Prohm. Unimaginative sets, listless defense. It makes no sense to get rid of Prohm to obtain a similar asset. Seriously, YouTube their games or watch them against Air Force on Wed. It’s not encouraging and there’s nothing there suggesting it’d be a good hire beyond TJ’s recruiting chops.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Good at building and good at raising money, not so good at hiring.

lol

you’re right :jimlad: - the most successful football coach in ISU history and arguably the most successful bball coach in ISU history -totally sucky at hiring!!

not every coach is going to pan out at any university. Saying he is not good at hiring is ridiculous!!

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
lol

you’re right :jimlad: - the most successful football coach in ISU history and arguably the most successful bball coach in ISU history -totally sucky at hiring!!

not every coach is going top pan out at any university. Saying he is not good at hiring is ridiculous!!

If he hires TJ, he is not good at hiring and cares more about faith/friendships/ties than success which is not a good approach to a multi-million dollar business.

• Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Good at building and good at raising money, not so good at hiring.

LOL. Hired Matt Campbell, hired Fred Hoiberg. The greatest coach in ISU football history and will end up as the greatest hire in Iowa State history. Hired Fred Hoiberg who sustained winning better than anyone else in school history.

Sure, some haven’t panned out. But I’d argue, all of his hires, except for Rhoads, were well regarded and solid candidates. I bet nearly every AD with his longevity have made some hires that haven’t worked out.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
If he hires TJ, he is not good at hiring and cares more about faith/friendships/ties than success which is not a good approach to a multi-million dollar business.

:rolleyes: Same was said about the Hoiberg hire

I would bet given size of university Pollard has one of the most successful athletic departments (businesses) in the entire country!!

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
:rolleyes: Same was said about the Hoiberg hire

I would bet given size of university Pollard has one of the most successful athletic departments (businesses) in the entire country!!

This is intellectual laziness. There was indication that Fred could coach; the questions were about recruiting. There were a few articles im not going to dig for stating he lived and breathed drawing up sets and that he had a good deal of respect from NBA peers. Coaches said he had a coach’s mind as a player.

No doubt Pollard has built a successful AD. He’s good at fundraising, image, and building buildings. He’s also hired/extended Greg McDermott, Paul Rhoads and Steve Prohm. Yeah yeah I understand the arguments for Rhoads and Prohm extensions. He gave them lengthy extensions when there was poor indication of the ability to turn the corner/sustain though. The success has primarily come from happening to be in a conference that has lucrative tv contracts.

• Dumb
Reactions: mplueg

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
Who do I Want : Fred or John Beilein
Who do I think it will be : some mid-major coach that I have never heard of
Who do I not want : Steve Prohm

Really I don't care who it is as long as they win, and consistently get us to the NCAA tourney. Its crazy that football's goal is a Big 12 championship, and basketball's goal is to win a game.

Anybody know anything about the Toledo coach? Seems to work out for us (Bill, Matt).

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
This is intellectual laziness. There was indication that Fred could coach; the questions were about recruiting. There were a few articles im not going to dig for stating he lived and breathed drawing up sets and that he had a good deal of respect from NBA peers. Coaches said he had a coach’s mind as a player.

No doubt Pollard has built a successful AD. He’s good at fundraising, image, and building buildings. He’s also hired/extended Greg McDermott, Paul Rhoads and Steve Prohm. Yeah yeah I understand the arguments for Rhoads and Prohm extensions. He gave them lengthy extensions when there was poor indication of the ability to turn the corner/sustain though. The success has primarily come from happening to be in a conference that has lucrative tv contracts.

You forget the biggest coaching blunder of the Pollard era, firing Dan McCarney for Gene Chizek.

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
Watch a UNLV game. He = Prohm. Unimaginative sets, listless defense. It makes no sense to get rid of Prohm to obtain a similar asset. Seriously, YouTube their games or watch them against Air Force on Wed. It’s not encouraging and there’s nothing there suggesting it’d be a good hire beyond TJ’s recruiting chops.
Here, you can watch Craig Smith and TJ in the second half at UNLV this year. UNLV let them back in at the end of the game, this is where they missed their point guard.

Lewey24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 2, 2020
Dubuque, IA
Here, you can watch Craig Smith and TJ in the second half at UNLV this year. UNLV let them back in at the end of the game, this is where they missed their point guard.

Ignoring the results of that game, just from the little bit I watched it looks like Craig Smith’s offense flows much better than TJ’s. TJ’s offense looks very similar to Prohm’s...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
You forget the biggest coaching blunder of the Pollard era, firing Dan McCarney for Gene Chizek.
Chizik was far from a blunder. All things considered at the time, it might of been Pollard's best hire. It's honestly amazing that he was able to convince the hottest commodity on the market to come to Iowa State.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Dan McCarney brought ISU to respectability, but every season seemed to have a late season fade. A lot of people realized he had plateaued out and were looking for a coach to build on. The only difference Prohm and Lickliter is Prohm didn't have a kid playing basketball.

• Dumb
Reactions: isu83

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Chizik was far from a blunder. All things considered at the time, it might of been Pollard's best hire. It's honestly amazing that he was able to convince the hottest commodity on the market to come to Iowa State.
five wins in two years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron