Coaching Carousel

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Gotta wonder why anyone would want to take a job at a place like Florida after firing a guy who made it to 2 SEC championship games in his first 2 years as head coach and then fire him in the middle of the following season. The only reason would be for a money grab, IMO.

Of all the jobs out there that are open or are going to be open Florida would be the best job. Most of the other jobs are at schools that think because their program was good 20 years ago they should win 10 game a year now.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
They didn't fire him for on- field performance. They fired him for lying about the death threats. That said, if they were sitting on a normal Florida season, they would have put up with that.

I'm pretty sure on-field performance had something to do with it. Sure, they went to back-to-back SEC championship games, but 2016 they finished with a 9-4 record, and in 2015 finished 10-3. In 2016 they won the East because they were the only team with a pulse. They've gotten progressively worse each year. Sure, us ISU fans would love what Florida has done the last few years, but they have higher expectations based on their history. Perhaps irrational, but you take that job knowing what the expectations are.

The death threats thing is likely just to get out of paying some, if not all, of the buyout. If Florida was winning this year nobody cares.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Until Saban is gone I don't know why any up and coming coach would take a job in the SEC. Every fanbase in that conference thinks they need to match Alabama and they will give you 2 years to do it. It's a losing proposition.

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Until Saban is gone I don't know why any up and coming coach would take a job in the SEC. Every fanbase in that conference thinks they need to match Alabama and they will give you 2 years to do it. It's a losing proposition.
This, SEC is more of a coach killing job than Iowa State these days.
Everyone in that conference expects 10-11 wins a year..

Florida coach goes to 2 SEC title games and half way through year 3 he gets the axe

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Because CMC knows he’s good?
It wouldn’t be for me, but if you’re good you can survive.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Because CMC knows he’s good?
It wouldn’t be for me, but if you’re good you can survive.

Not in that conference. Look at the number of coaches schools go threw in the SEC. If you don't turn it around in 2 years you are gone. If you fall off a little to rebound you are gone. Once coaches are done there do you ever hear from them again? It burns them out so bad. Yes ISU doesnt have the history of many schools, but it isn't that bad of job. The hardest thing about ISU is getting players to come here, and this staff has that figured out.

• Creative
Reactions: CTTB78

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
ESPN and Florida sports writers are making it sounds like UF is going to pursue Scott Frost hard. They like his offensive system and the fact that he already has an in with the Florida HS. I would love it if Frost went to UF and left Nebraska scrambling to identify another HC candidate.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
ESPN and Florida sports writers are making it sounds like UF is going to pursue Scott Frost hard. They like his offensive system and the fact that he already has an in with the Florida HS. I would love it if Frost went to UF and left Nebraska scrambling to identify another HC candidate.
This would be great. Wonder who nebby would get??

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
I'm not sure I would want to be a coach in the SEC. Alabama is the king and everyone else is fighting for 2nd. Plus, the unrealistic expectations by fans and AD's put's a tremendous amount of pressure to perform. Just look at the last 5-years within the SEC and the changes of head coaches (3-4 programs still have the same head coach).

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm pretty sure on-field performance had something to do with it. Sure, they went to back-to-back SEC championship games, but 2016 they finished with a 9-4 record, and in 2015 finished 10-3. In 2016 they won the East because they were the only team with a pulse. They've gotten progressively worse each year. Sure, us ISU fans would love what Florida has done the last few years, but they have higher expectations based on their history. Perhaps irrational, but you take that job knowing what the expectations are.

The death threats thing is likely just to get out of paying some, if not all, of the buyout. If Florida was winning this year nobody cares.

Yes Florida has high expectations, but they are way overblown. I've been following Florida for a long time and the only two coaches in modern times to have successfully filled those expectations are Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer. So in my opinion they need to bring their expectations back to reality.

Reactions: 3GenClone

Spam

May 21, 2008
I'm not sure I would want to be a coach in the SEC. Alabama is the king and everyone else is fighting for 2nd. Plus, the unrealistic expectations by fans and AD's put's a tremendous amount of pressure to perform. Just look at the last 5-years within the SEC and the changes of head coaches (3-4 programs still have the same head coach).

All exiting SEC coaches are given ridiculous buyouts though. For many, that would make the high risk of failure associated with taking SEC jobs worth it. I don't see Campbell as that kind of coach, though.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Good coaches will still go to the SEC. They’re willing to bet on themselves, plus get a fat paycheck if they’re let go while knowing other schools will give them another chance. And they also see that Gene ******* Chizik won a NC there.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
The ESPN guys dropped Campbell's name yesterday when they broke the Florida story. I'm not claiming Campbell will be here in 10 years but I just don't see him leaving Ames this year, especially with the large buyout in his contract.

IMO, it actually may be a good thing for ISU that his name gets attached to a lot of high profile openings. If he snubs the blue blood of college football to stay in Ames it will certainly improve our image and keep our program in front of recruits.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Have a good friend who is a UF alum. Told me CMC is on their list.

Don't think he answers the call, but he will be on every P5 coaching search list until he either leaves or the multiple rejections make it clear he's not going anywhere. And only time will tell the tale.

The other possibility is the Paul Rhoads story. Stay at ISU and coach yourself out of the spotlight. (I don't see this happening, BTW.)

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Don't think he answers the call, but he will be on every P5 coaching search list until he either leaves or the multiple rejections make it clear he's not going anywhere. And only time will tell the tale.

The other possibility is the Paul Rhoads story. Stay at ISU and coach yourself out of the spotlight. (I don't see this happening, BTW.)
CMC will be on every list.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Is UF willing to throw nearly $30 mil for Campbell and his coaches?

$12 mil per McElwain's buyout
$9 mil per Campbell's buyout
$4-5 mil per year for Campbell's contract (McElwain was making just shy of $4.5 per season)
New coaching staff

Reactions: Knownothing