Coach Prime

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
That seems low. Also not the job I’d take if I were him.

I had the same thoughts. Boulder and Coach Prime just does not seem like a cultural match. And $5 mil per year is low for someone of his stature. If Rhule is a $9.25 mil coach than Deion is probably at least a $7 mil coach when you factor in everything he’d bring to a program.

I probably would take the South Florida job if I were him. He would kill recruiting there, especially when compared to the competition in the AAC. They’d have a shot at making the expanded playoff every year, and he could hold out until the right B1G or SEC school knocks and pays him what he’s worth.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It doesn't seem like a great fit. The only attractive thing about that job is how little it'd take to win consistently in that division. Wouldn't be a bad place to build a resume for a prime job.
Yep. I mentioned in the other thread that GT should have hired him.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It doesn't seem like a great fit. The only attractive thing about that job is how little it'd take to win consistently in that division. Wouldn't be a bad place to build a resume for a prime job.
He’d probably go over like a ***** in church in the buttoned up PAC.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
PAC no longer has divisions and odds are CU ends up in the B12 sooner than later.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yep. I mentioned in the other thread that GT should have hired him.
GT has pretty high academic standards, so maybe he doesn't want to deal with that. Not for every coach.

I also feel Deon might be looking at a job where he can bring his son along. CU seems like an odd fit, but maybe their Administration was shaken by the USC & UCLA departures.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
GT has pretty high academic standards, so maybe he doesn't want to deal with that. Not for every coach.

I also feel Deon might be looking at a job where he can bring his son along. CU seems like an odd fit, but maybe their Administration was shaken by the USC & UCLA departures.
I get Deion not maybe wanting the GT job, I think that they should have offered it though.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I get Deion not maybe wanting the GT job, I think that they should have offered it though.
If you can believe what he’s saying, I’m not sure why he doesn’t jump at Cincinnati. Unless the financials are out of whack or he wants to stay in the south.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If you can believe what he’s saying, I’m not sure why he doesn’t jump at Cincinnati. Unless the financials are out of whack or he wants to stay in the south.
I think Cincy is a P5 conference is a solid job. Surrounded by population/talent.

• Agree

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Could have been mutual.

They meet:
  1. GT talks about school academic requirements.
  2. GT ask if he's interested in deeper discussions.
  3. Deon says doesn't sound like a good fit.
  4. They both move on.

Tech's interim coach had some OK wins and is a GT grad- so could be they liked the job he was doing.

Sometimes the non-sexy hire is the best. And maybe not the best coach, but the best cultural fit.

Reactions: JP4CY

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
  • Dumb
Reactions: irish

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think the imperative statement is "Believe what he's saying". Deon beats to his own drummer, but I don't recall a prospective coach naming schools who have offered him jobs.

I get the feeling Deon is trying to spark interest where there isn't any. I guess we'll find out by Monday.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think the imperative statement is "Believe what he's saying". Deon beats to his own drummer, but I don't recall a prospective coach naming schools who have offered him jobs.

I get the feeling Deon is trying to spark interest where there isn't any. I guess we'll find out by Monday.
Deon has always and will always be all about the media and attention. His thing works where he can be the alpha and own the narrative. You get him in a big media town or where just recruiting isn't enough, and it'll be very interesting to see how he does.

I don't know enough about him to know if he really preaches what he believes or if he just knows what works for the audience of players and parents he's talking to. The Charter School scandal made me think maybe he's more of the tell people what they want to hear to get what you want, than being truly a great hearted person - but that may be a false perspective.

Colorado doesn't seem ideal due to more limited NIL than many, less access to ideal recruiting areas, and a shaky league to recruit to. You would think he'd do best in the South/East area.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86 and JP4CY

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I don't get Colorado at all. He's a SE guy.
Their stadium sucks compared to others in pac 12 and big 12.

I will say he's walking into a good situation in that it is at absolute rock bottom. Like Kansas two years ago rock bottom. Denver area is a pro sports town through and through though. I hardly ever see anyone with Buffs gear on anywhere. Very diff than Iowa