Class Action Park

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

If you grew up near New Jersey, the chances are pretty good that the mere sight of those words floods your brain with feelings of dread, doom, and possibly the memories of at least a few scars—if not the time of your life.

Here's the gist: During its 1980s and 1990s heyday, New Jersey’s Action Park earned a reputation as the most insane — and possibly the most dangerous — amusement park that ever existed.

It was known as a lawless land, ruled by drunk teenage employees and frequented by even drunker teenage guests. The rides were experimental and illogical, and seemed to ignore even the most basic notions of physics or common sense—not to mention safety.

Let’s put it this way: There was an enclosed tube waterslide that went in a complete loop—and that wasn’t even close to the most dangerous ride at the park.

Anyone else watched this? It's on HBO Max. It's kind of like Six Flags if the owner didn't give a **** about the health and safety of their customers. It's pretty entertaining for the first hour, funny and ridiculous stories, and then it ends showing the real consequences of it.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Can someone tell me how that ended up? Did anyone die? I’m assuming someone lost a **** ton of money.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hell no, my back was sore just watching. But as a teen that place would have been Mecca.
If I had known of it when I was 16, I would of tried with everything in me to get my ass there for a day

Reactions: Bigman38

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I read about this back in July. Nice little, fairly funny summary.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

In a park full of bad ideas that slide was the worst. It's incredible anyone built it, much less let customers go down it.

Not having enough speed and getting stuck in the bottom is the stuff of nightmares.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

I think I need to watch this. I know that real people got hurt, which is not funny, but that description of the Bailey Ball test had me busting a gut. Thats like something straight out of a campy comedy.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Watched this last night. Great documentary, both funny and astounding when you look back on it. The park really would be a heaven for 80s teenagers.