Cincy and the Big 12

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
What would be everyone's personal preference if we expanded? Cinci and Louisville?

We aren't going to poach Louisville from the ACC.

I think decent arguments can be made for Cincinnati, UConn, UCF, Memphis, and BYU. Some might say Houston but the Big 12 really doesn't need another Texas school. I also think BYU is hurt by geography.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Nebraska and Mizzou

Hell, if we're dreaming big I'd say Mizzou and Minnesota. The huskers can stay where they are.

This Cincy thing is old news though. And Boren seems to have been scolded at the recent Big XII meetings. I would be seriously surprised if anything happens with any conference before the Big Ten signs their TV deal.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I like Memphis. While they're not at a P5 level today, if you provide the proper funding then could grow into it pretty quick. You can grab a decent size TV market in an area with rich football tradition.

And if we're even discussing the possibility of poaching a school from a P5 conference, Arkansas has always seemed like the most likely to come. Financially there isn't a big change for them, but they would become a big fish in the Big12 rather than an afterthought in the SEC East.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'd be fine with Cincy and Memphis....not earth shattering adds but both markets are good sized and as much as I love the basketball double round robin, we're going to continue to get destroyed in football without divisions.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I like the idea of Cincinnati because that is where Coach Campbell is recruiting. Having a Big 12 team in Ohio helps.

And I like the idea of Coach Prohm recruiting in the Cincinnati, Western Kentucky, Western Tennessee area where he has had so much success already.

Cbbtruth

Feb 11, 2016
UCF is interesting. I believe it's now the biggest school in the country, it's growing like crazy. You're in a major city and for these reasons it makes a lot of sense. Geographically it's awful and right now they're not great at football or basketball

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Cincy and BYU football only. Avoid the scheduling headaches with BYU basketball & keep round robin with eleven members. Nine game conference schedule in football continues where you only dodge two schools from the opposite division every two years.

Cincy
ISU
KU
KSU
TCU
WVU

Baylor
BYU
OU
Okie Lite
Texa$
Tx Tech

Really hope we dont bring BYU to the Big 12. But this would still work if we added Cincy and Memphis.

North
ISU
KU
KSU
OU
OSU
Cincy

South
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Memphis
West Virginia

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Really hope we dont bring BYU to the Big 12. But this would still work if we added Cincy and Memphis.

North
ISU
KU
KSU
OU
OSU
Cincy

South
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Memphis
West Virginia

North
ISU
KU
KSU
Memphis
West Virginia
Cincy

South
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
OU
OSU

I think this is more likely. Given we aren't recruiting Texas as much I would be fine with it too.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
North
ISU
KU
KSU
Memphis
West Virginia
Cincy

South
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
OU
OSU

I think this is more likely. Given we aren't recruiting Texas as much I would be fine with it too.

I like your arrangement better. For football though I dont know if they would put all that power in the same division. Man what a Royal Rumble that would be.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I don't think the Big 12 would go with a North/South split if we added, say, Cincinnati and Memphis. The state of Texas is the lifeblood of the conference, and putting all of those schools in the same division would result in a pretty severe talent imbalance (like we saw before). The Pac-12 worked the geography to split the state of California in their divisional split; I think the Big 12 could sort of do the same.

East
Baylor (TCU)
Cincinnati (Kansas State)
Memphis (Kansas)
Oklahoma (Oklahoma State)
Texas (Texas Tech)
West Virginia (Iowa State)

West
Iowa State (West Virginia)
Kansas (Memphis)
Kansas State (Cincinnati)
Oklahoma State (Oklahoma)
TCU (Baylor)
Texas Tech (Texas)

Parentheticals are the permanent crossover rivalries. Play the 5 other teams in your division, the permanent crossover in the other division, and 3 of the remaining 5 teams in the other division each year.

I think it would look something like this.

Cy83ag

Mar 20, 2010
Earlham
I'd be fine with Cincy and Memphis....not earth shattering adds but both markets are good sized and as much as I love the basketball double round robin, we're going to continue to get destroyed in football without divisions.

Couldn't the conference go to 12 and still do the double round robin?

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Even if they're just football only? I think that solves a lot of problems, plus they're the sexiest name available. With East/West divisions, you can arrange the schedule so that travel between Morgantown & Provo doesn't occur very often.

I still like the idea of adding 2 football only schools. It gives us everything we need IMO

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
I don't think the Big 12 would go with a North/South split if we added, say, Cincinnati and Memphis. The state of Texas is the lifeblood of the conference, and putting all of those schools in the same division would result in a pretty severe talent imbalance (like we saw before). The Pac-12 worked the geography to split the state of California in their divisional split; I think the Big 12 could sort of do the same.

East
Baylor (TCU)
Cincinnati (Kansas State)
Memphis (Kansas)
Oklahoma (Oklahoma State)
Texas (Texas Tech)
West Virginia (Iowa State)

West
Iowa State (West Virginia)
Kansas (Memphis)
Kansas State (Cincinnati)
Oklahoma State (Oklahoma)
TCU (Baylor)
Texas Tech (Texas)

Parentheticals are the permanent crossover rivalries. Play the 5 other teams in your division, the permanent crossover in the other division, and 3 of the remaining 5 teams in the other division each year.

I think it would look something like this.

I think if they did this split they would not put Oklahoma and Texas in the same division, they'd be the crossover rival though. Even with Texas down, they're a money maker and the conference is going to want OK/Texas in the football championship game every year.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Couldn't the conference go to 12 and still do the double round robin?

22 league games and conference play starts before fall semester finals? Say goodbye to any P5 opponent not named Iowa.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Who else would agree to that besides BYU? Don't say Notre Dame.

Someone like UConn would probably prefer it...b12 for football and big east for basketball and all other sports