bail set at 10,000.

Apparently he had a 2006 OWI.

• Informative
Reactions: ajk4st8

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
May be tough to prove that, though. There's a gap of time between when he hit the tractor and when he got picked up. Any blood test would effectively be worthless, as he could say that he was so upset, he started slamming beers at home.

Looks like they might have open container in the truck based on the police report, but that's it.

Might be enough to convince a jury he was under the influence. Or enough that he'll plead guilty to a lesser charge rather than face the full rap.

• Agree
Reactions: CtownCyclone

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Here is a snapshot of his Iowa Courts Online

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    44.3 KB · Views: 108

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
That clearly wasn't my point. Looking at his mug shot it's pretty easy to tell he's smashed or at least had been drinking. But any proof whatsoever that he was texting also and he's double f'd. Cydtracked is right though, someone lost their life last night and in this area it's safe to say it will affect the entire community. Sad on all counts.
Meh - if you could discern level of consumption from that picture, you're more perceptive than I am. I'm not saying there's no way he was drunk/buzzed/hungover in that picture, but to state it definitively is jumping the gun a bit.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If he was drunk as it appears I wouldn't really classify it as an accident, but the mindset that anything preventable isn't an accident is BS.

Yeah, he needs to go to jail for fleeing the scene (possibly while drunk), but I wonder if there were other contributing factors like the trailer not being properly lit.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
So for a Grand he's out on bail. Sad that you can cause a life to end and in less than 6 hours he'll be out.
I guess I get that, but that's not what bail's for. Bail is there to make sure you show up in court, don't intimidate witnesses, and aren't a threat to the community. It's not supposed to be any type of punishment because he hasn't been convicted yet

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, he needs to go to jail for fleeing the scene (possibly while drunk), but I wonder if there were other contributing factors like the trailer not being properly lit.

Again, this is Iowa in April. On a two lane road. Tractors are all over. If the trailer was not properly lit that's not good. But if I hit a tractor and I legit couldn't see it, I'd callthe cops and wait for them to get there. And he said not a 16 year old who just got his listense.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Doc

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That seems really low

Not really. It would be damn near impossible for him to hide and avoid trial. Dude is probably pretty wealthy and chose to stay in BFE Iowa, so the judge wasn't to concerned with him fleeing.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I guess I get that, but that's not what bail's for. Bail is there to make sure you show up in court, don't intimidate witnesses, and aren't a threat to the community. It's not supposed to be any type of punishment because he hasn't been convicted yet

At least according to the Waterloo paper, he will be electronically monitored if he posts bail.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Playing devil's advocate here prior to trial & conviction (I'm not interested in defending a person who is proven to have killed someone while DUI).

If he was in a head-on crash (or at least his vehicle had a front impact), then regardless of the circumstances is it possible that he suffered a concussion in the crash or something similar that might explain his poorly thought out response (and the way he looked in the mug shot)?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Not really. It would be damn near impossible for him to hide and avoid trial. Dude is probably pretty wealthy and chose to stay in BFE Iowa, so the judge wasn't to concerned with him fleeing.

Looks like it's 10,000 cash only

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Playing devil's advocate here prior to trial & conviction (I'm not interested in defending a person who is proven to have killed someone while DUI).

If he was in a head-on crash (or at least his vehicle had a front impact), then regardless of the circumstances is it possible that he suffered a concussion in the crash or something similar that might explain his poorly thought out response (and the way he looked in the mug shot)?

Both vehicles were southbound. Not sure how head on anything would be since he must have hit the trailer first.