Chart of 2017-2018 playing time

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I kept a chart of playing time throughout the 2017-2018 season. I have done this for a few years -- it helps show some trends in rotations, roster development, and, in hindsight, telling the "story" of the season. That is definitely the case this year with different colors phasing in and out. The Talley "ski slope" at the end of the season was particularly memorable.

Without further ado, here it is...

upload_2018-3-8_13-7-31.png

I have these back to Georges' junior year if anybody wants to see more.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I have no idea what I'm looking at here...
It's called a sand chart. You can quickly look at a player's key color and see how their time ebbs and flows during the year. You want to see about 7 to 8 consistent colors though the year.

Of course, with Iowa, you run out of key colors before you run out of players...

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
I kept a chart of playing time throughout the 2017-2018 season. I have done this for a few years -- it helps show some trends in rotations, roster development, and, in hindsight, telling the "story" of the season. That is definitely the case this year with different colors phasing in and out. The Talley "ski slope" at the end of the season was particularly memorable.

View attachment 53905

Could you, by chance, create a small multiple chart? Or just do lines for each player on a single chart instead of the area chart? I think it is tougher to see trends because the only player with a consistent base to measure against is the bottom player. Just my opinion.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Great chart. Might suggest calculating it in % of total game minutes played, instead of just total minutes. That way the vertical limit doesn't increase for an overtime game.

Still, a great visual of the rotation throughout the season. I really hate the way the NWB portion of it ended up.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
If the color band gets wider, that player is picking up game time. If the color band gets narrower, that player is getting fewer minutes. You can see how Lard didn't play at all the first two games, and where Solo and NWB were pulled due to injury/surgery between KSU/TCU. A big vertical displacement doesn't actually mean anything as long as the band is the same width.

That "Talley ski slope" was caused by losing Solo and NWB, followed by Jackson missing the WVU game. But since the vertical width of the band didn't change, his actual playing time wasn't changing. Charted in the opposite order, that "slope" would change to a "peak."

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

View attachment 53905

What is your y-axis? Since it maxes out at 200 it can't be minutes or seconds.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not big into charts, but I'm guessing that extreme fluctuations are not a good thing.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Same chart for this season, now that the year is done...

upload_2019-3-26_12-58-43.png

-- Nick led the team in minutes (falling behind only Bane and Robinson from TCU, who are playing extra games in the NIT, for most in the Big 12 Conference)

-- Tyrese was not far behind, though Culver from TTU could pass each of them

-- you can see the five starters obviously led the way, though Wigginton was starting to catch up to Jacobson and Horton-Tucker towards the end of the season

-- you can obviously see the instability in the lineup during the early season (with the injured Wigginton and suspended Lard) and then towards the end again

-- Griffin and Lewis had a chance to firmly establish themselves in the rotation at that point, and while Lewis showed some flashes on offense, Wigginton was clearly better

-- nice to see Conditt play himself into some experience in critical games late in the season and firmly establish himself as the eighth man over Talley

-- while I think we eventually still hit our stride, we still missed about 1/4th of the season before 2/7 major rotational guys returned (Wigginton and Lard, who might have been starters Day 1 and all season if not for injury and suspension) to develop that last bit of chemistry and experience together would have been nice, rather than figuring it out in the Big 12

-- also missing is Solomon, of course, who barely played more than the walk-on crew before seeking the medical redshirt... I think we missed his experience, size, post defense and defensive rebounding, and silent toughness more than we think

Anyways, it was a good season, and I thought I would share.

If somebody told me before the season that we would...

-- finish in the middle of the Big 12
-- win the Big 12 tournament
-- Shayok would win first-team all-conference
-- Wigginton would win sixth-man of the year (what!?! he wasn't starting!?!)
-- Horton-Tucker would win all-freshman, Haliburton would look like the PG of the future
-- made the NCAA tournament as a #5, but bowed out early

...I think I would have been pretty happy to hear that news.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron