***CFB Transfer Portal 2022-23 thread***

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Good write up. Cupboard is not bare at OL as the staff is pretty bullish on Tyler Maro, Hunter Deyo, and D Hasert was a big time recruit. I think we should go after 1-2 OL tho as I believe one or two will leave. LB we are set at, tons of talent there. Go after a stud WR and a RB
Eh, not sure I'd trust the staff on O-Line stuff right now with the history of that position here under them

Reactions: Dannynoonan

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't think we really need an RB. Norton has looked good the last few games. I think he should be the guy going forward. I really feel bad for Brock. He reminds me of Mike Warren. He's been loyal to ISU through everything he just doesn't seem to be able to get it done. I wonder if he would be better off in a different system. I wouldn't want him to leave but from what I've seen Norton plays more like Hall and seems much more explosive than Brock.
He's been hurt all year. First three games were 100+ yards, one of them against Iowa. He just needs to be healthy.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
He's been hurt all year. First three games were 100+ yards, one of them against Iowa. He just needs to be healthy.
I really like the small bits of Norton ive seen. He's picked up 3 different injuries this year already though. Talent is there but im a bit nervous on his ability to stay healthy

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I really like the small bits of Norton ive seen. He's picked up 3 different injuries this year already though. Talent is there but im a bit nervous on his ability to stay healthy
That position just takes a lot of wear and tear. Breece was a bit of a unicorn in that regard. Sad that it caught up with him his rookie year.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I agree that returning starters isn't reason to pencil those guys in as starters for 2023. But having potentially 4 starters back is a solid compliment to young guys like Maro, Bonifas, Akinshilo, etc. making big steps in the off-season.

Plus, I am hoping a change at OL Coach has a big impact on the development of the 15+ returning OL on the current roster.
We've heard about young offensive linemen coming up for the last few years, and still no improvement.

The best case scenario for next season is a new OL coach that can get more out of the current group, and at least 1 or 2 starters are from the portal.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We've heard about young offensive linemen coming up for the last few years, and still no improvement.

The best case scenario for next season is a new OL coach that can get more out of the current group, and at least 1 or 2 starters are from the portal.
The best you can hope for is a new OL Coach develops the current roster players.

IMO OL is a position it is hard to find portal guys who can step in and start right away. And if we can, probably 1 guy.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Norton with a year of strength training in the winter I feel allows him to catapult Brock. No slight at Brock I just don't like his ability to make people miss against good competition.

I think we all remember the jump Breece made with a good strength coach in those early years. Hoping Norton can do a similar improvement.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
The best you can hope for is a new OL Coach develops the current roster players.

IMO OL is a position it is hard to find portal guys who can step in and start right away. And if we can, probably 1 guy.
I think its a total grand slam if you can land 2 OL in the portal and hire a new OL coach who knows what he's doing. OL are like portal bigs in basketball. Gonna be very hard to land a good one

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Thing I just remembered

Transfer Windows, is that a thing for this year or does it start next year? And if so when?

CoachTretired

Dec 29, 2021
I believe we have many of the needed size qualities in the Oline room now. We need more aggressive strength and agility training. They appear to be getting tossed around like rag dolls and lack the needed foot work to push or contain. Again, identify the problem and provide the solution.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Updated the OP with the transfer rules for this season. The transfer window is in effect for the first time