***CFB Transfer Portal 2022-23 thread***

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Time for this again as the season ends. Probably wont use this as a tracker thread as there's so many dudes, but if someone else wants to start one go for it.

Opening the thread with a WR piece I dont know a ton on but is someone we could probably use

UPDATE: The transfer rules for this season are that the transfer window opens on December 5th. Grad transfers can jump in whenever they want to. For football the windows are:

Transfer Window 1: December 5th - January 19th
Transfer Window 2: May 1st - May 15th

Hope that helps everyone make sense of all of this

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Time for this again as the season ends. Probably wont use this as a tracker thread as there's so many dudes, but if someone else wants to start one go for it.

Opening the thread with a WR piece I dont know a ton on but is someone we could probably use

That name sounds familiar, were we originally in on him?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Will be curious how active we are in the transfer portal. A lot probably depends on which players on the current roster enter the portal, to leave a position group thin. We could go the JUCO route instead of portal and we have probably been recruiting those guys longer and might have a better chance of landing.

WR seems to be our biggest need. I believe we lose both Hutchinson & Stanley. And we haven't seen young guys (Gaines & Jackson) get snaps

I understand people's view that we need OL help in the transfer portal, but hopefully we have the guys on campus:

Freshman: Deyo, Hasert
RS Fresh: Maro, Sauser, Bonifas
Soph: James Neal, Akinshilo
RS Soph: Anthony Smith, Rengert, Petersen, Pauls

On top of that guys who have started games like Miller, Remsburg, Hufford, Simmons and Trieber also can come back next year. Sure our OL has seriously underperformed, but I gotta believe a new coach can build a solid Big10 o-line from that group.

I also think we have recruited the LB position pretty hard the last couple classes and should have guys ready to play:

Freshman: Imming, Willich, McLaughlin
RS Freshman: Mendeszoon, Marshall, Ralph
Soph: Jacob Ellis
RS Soph: Zenzen

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Will be curious how active we are in the transfer portal. A lot probably depends on which players on the current roster enter the portal, to leave a position group thin. We could go the JUCO route instead of portal and we have probably been recruiting those guys longer and might have a better chance of landing.

WR seems to be our biggest need. I believe we lose both Hutchinson & Stanley. And we haven't seen young guys (Gaines & Jackson) get snaps

I understand people's view that we need OL help in the transfer portal, but hopefully we have the guys on campus:

On top of that guys who have started games like Miller, Remsburg, Hufford, Simmons and Trieber also can come back next year. Sure our OL has seriously underperformed, but I gotta believe a new coach can build a solid Big10 o-line from that group.

I also think we have recruited the LB position pretty hard the last couple classes and should have guys ready to play:

Which would be great if we were in the Big 10 West but can he build a solid Big 12 O-Line?

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
For me, it's gotten to the point that returning offensive linemen are a negative, at least starting offensive linemen. It sounds terrible, but none of them excite me. We've talked about returning linemen for 6 years, and it never improves.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
For me, it's gotten to the point that returning offensive linemen are a negative, at least starting offensive linemen. It sounds terrible, but none of them excite me. We've talked about returning linemen for 6 years, and it never improves.
I agree that returning starters isn't reason to pencil those guys in as starters for 2023. But having potentially 4 starters back is a solid compliment to young guys like Maro, Bonifas, Akinshilo, etc. making big steps in the off-season.

Plus, I am hoping a change at OL Coach has a big impact on the development of the 15+ returning OL on the current roster.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I don’t follow recruiting at all anymore, but is JUCO football still a thing post-COVID or does ISU just not recruit those guys as much? Occasionally, we have been able to grab some guys from those ranks and I think we got two JUCO guys last year. Not sure if they didn’t pan out but I didn’t remember seeing them at all this year.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I don’t follow recruiting at all anymore, but is JUCO football still a thing post-COVID or does ISU just not recruit those guys as much? Occasionally, we have been able to grab some guys from those ranks and I think we got two JUCO guys last year. Not sure if they didn’t pan out but I didn’t remember seeing them at all this year.
X was a JUCO right?

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

Good write up. Cupboard is not bare at OL as the staff is pretty bullish on Tyler Maro, Hunter Deyo, and D Hasert was a big time recruit. I think we should go after 1-2 OL tho as I believe one or two will leave. LB we are set at, tons of talent there. Go after a stud WR and a RB

Cy4All

Aug 20, 2022
Good write up. Cupboard is not bare at OL as the staff is pretty bullish on Tyler Maro, Hunter Deyo, and D Hasert was a big time recruit. I think we should go after 1-2 OL tho as I believe one or two will leave. LB we are set at, tons of talent there. Go after a stud WR and a RB
I don't think we really need an RB. Norton has looked good the last few games. I think he should be the guy going forward. I really feel bad for Brock. He reminds me of Mike Warren. He's been loyal to ISU through everything he just doesn't seem to be able to get it done. I wonder if he would be better off in a different system. I wouldn't want him to leave but from what I've seen Norton plays more like Hall and seems much more explosive than Brock.