Cap City '21 cancelled

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I agree. It's basically glorified rec league basketball IMO. Defense lacks and its a bunch of fast break dunks or guys chucking up 3's that shouldn't be. Fun to watch but really serves little developmental purpose and a lot of the stats wind up as irrelevant once the college basketball season starts and the competition and defenses are much better that weed out the abnormalities.

Wait, does playing in the Capital City League take away from time the players are aloud to practice? I don’t think that’s correct.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Im assuming he doesn’t know they play a ton of pickup games. He thinks they just go to practice and play the scheduled games lol.

yeah that’s what it seems like. At least these cap city games have some good talent and refs. Normally they are playing against Mark and Brads team down at the Rec and Mark and Brad still think they should be playing D1 and try to prove themselves

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Winning is all that matters.

As long as CMC is taking ISU to Alamo and Fiesta Bowls, I don’t care if there’s a spring game or not.

Same goes for TJ. If he brings back winning and Hilton Magic, who cares if there’s a Cap City League or not?

It doesn’t matter.... just win.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Good. Absolutely no reason to have it..... it's dumb. Glad our guys don't have to waste their time and risk injury coming down to DM to do this.

CMC would never allow it.... I can guarantee you that.
Why would football players be in a basketball league, anyway? I can guarantee that as well.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Good. Absolutely no reason to have it..... it's dumb. Glad our guys don't have to waste their time and risk injury coming down to DM to do this.

CMC would never allow it.... I can guarantee you that.
Can we have a "par" emoji? This is par for the course. "Dumb" would apply to most people.

For the record, the CCL going away is totally fine by me but not because of injury risk.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
T.J. sounded pretty down on CCL when asked about it last week. Might have been the nail in the coffin for this season. Too bad. I certainly understand, but it sure was fun back in the day.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
From what I've been hearing, Iowa State has been trying to get out of this for a while. Players like interacting with the fans, but aren't a fan of driving down to West Des Moines a few times per week during their summer.

It seemed much more logical when Faith Baptist in Ankeny had some games there. Half the drive.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
T.J. sounded pretty down on CCL when asked about it last week. Might have been the nail in the coffin for this season. Too bad. I certainly understand, but it sure was fun back in the day.

TJ is down on it because it's dumb.... just like I said.

Same way that CMC is down on the spring game.... it's 10x more important to just practice than it is to have a spring game.

I loved going to the spring game.... and I miss it a lot.... but it's not about me.... it's about what CMC thinks best helps the team to win. W's are all that matters.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015

Same way that CMC is down on the spring game.... it's 10x more important to just practice than it is to have a spring game.

I loved going to the spring game.... and I miss it a lot.... but it's not about me.... it's about what CMC thinks best helps the team to win. W's are all that matters.
But doesn’t holding a spring game count as one of the full contact practices that you’re allowed to have in the off season? Kind of hard to compare the CCL with spring games, considering that one directly impacts your offseason work and the other is just a secondary thing.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

I think the spring game ended because of Veisha right? Didn’t it stop being played under CPR? Similar to the Cap, ended because of Covid and TJ could continue to have it ended for Iowa State.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I think the spring game ended because of Veisha right? Didn’t it stop being played under CPR? Similar to the Cap, ended because of Covid and TJ could continue to have it ended for Iowa State.

The last VEISHEA was '14.

Campbell did spring games in '16 and '17. The '18 spring game was canceled due to weather, and there hasn't been one since.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
The last VEISHEA was '14.

Campbell did spring games in '16 and '17. The '18 spring game was canceled due to weather, and there hasn't been one since.

Man I just felt like there hasn’t been one in forever. But I get it, if you don’t have to have one and you get more benefit without it then don’t have it.

But on that subject, does the Cap city count as practice time even though there’s no Iowa State coaches? Are they comparable? I’ve asked a few times with no response. I’m assuming the answer is no.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Man I just felt like there hasn’t been one in forever. But I get it, if you don’t have to have one and you get more benefit without it then don’t have it.

But on that subject, does the Cap city count as practice time even though there’s no Iowa State coaches? Are they comparable? I’ve asked a few times with no response. I’m assuming the answer is no.
No. Why they drafted teams so that no more than 3 scholarship players from 1 University were playing organized basketball together with a coach so it didn't count IIRC

Curt Smith

Oct 18, 2018
Winning is all that matters.

As long as CMC is taking ISU to Alamo and Fiesta Bowls, I don’t care if there’s a spring game or not.

Same goes for TJ. If he brings back winning and Hilton Magic, who cares if there’s a Cap City League or not?

It doesn’t matter.... just win.
CMC can take us to good bowl games AND reward the fans with a Spring Game. Just as TJ can win this year AND reward fans by participating in the Capital League. It’s not an either/or proposition.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Can we have a "par" emoji? This is par for the course. "Dumb" would apply to most people.

For the record, the CCL going away is totally fine by me but not because of injury risk.

All your posts aren't dumb. I like some of them!

:jimlad::)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron