Cap City '21 cancelled

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Good. Absolutely no reason to have it..... it's dumb. Glad our guys don't have to waste their time and risk injury coming down to DM to do this.

CMC would never allow it.... I can guarantee you that.

why they are just playing basketball. Basically pickup games with refs. It’s actually safer for them than what they do. So do you think they just won’t play any ball or pickup games to avoid injury?

Curt Smith

Oct 18, 2018
Good. Absolutely no reason to have it..... it's dumb. Glad our guys don't have to waste their time and risk injury coming down to DM to do this.

One of these days someone is going to figure out that college sports is for the fans. A lot of people enjoy attending the Capital City League games. It would have been fun watching all the new players show their wares. Just as it would have been fun watching the younger football players perform in the Spring Game if only there was one.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
They should be able to play plenty of competitive 5x5 in Ames at Sukup with the roster shaping up like it is.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Agree, playing unregulated pick-up games at Lied Rec or State gym is a much better use of time and safer.

:jimlad:

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Classic Clonedude

Reactions: mj4cy

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee

Risking injury? Have you ever been to a CapCity game? It’s an offensive showcase with very minimal contact if any in the lane or while taking it to the rim.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I agree. It's basically glorified rec league basketball IMO. Defense lacks and its a bunch of fast break dunks or guys chucking up 3's that shouldn't be. Fun to watch but really serves little developmental purpose and a lot of the stats wind up as irrelevant once the college basketball season starts and the competition and defenses are much better that weed out the abnormalities.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
It shouldn't but still blows my mind that there's a segment of fans that believe 18-21 year old guys aren't going to play pickup ball in the offseason

I hope we have guys that are driven enough to play year round and work on their skills in some kind of controlled environment but the Cap City league is hardly that. The "coaches" are usually some guy you never heard of who probably has some tie to one of the sponsors and he's probably not the type of coach you want letting your guys do things that the ISU staff would rather they not.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
From what I've been hearing, Iowa State has been trying to get out of this for a while. Players like interacting with the fans, but aren't a fan of driving down to West Des Moines a few times per week during their summer.
Bull. If Iowa State didn't want to participate, they wouldn't have.

I don't know why they never got the league moved to Ankeny though. Basically right between Drake and Iowa State.

Reactions: t-noah

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I hope we have guys that are driven enough to play year round and work on their skills in some kind of controlled environment but the Cap City league is hardly that. The "coaches" are usually some guy you never heard of who probably has some tie to one of the sponsors and he's probably not the type of coach you want letting your guys do things that the ISU staff would rather they not.
The coaches are pretty much the same every year. The CCL is basically pick up basketball, which they would be playing anyway. Do you think the Iowa State coaches monitor what things players "do" in pick up games at the rec?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Risking injury? Have you ever been to a CapCity game? It’s an offensive showcase with very minimal contact if any in the lane or while taking it to the rim.
Agree. Things that never happen: Iowa State players getting injured in the CCL.

Things that happen every year: Iowa State players sitting out CCL games due to injuries sustained in practice or off season work outs.

In the 10+ years of the CCL, I can't recall a single Iowa State player sustaining anything more than a very minor injury.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Bull. If Iowa State didn't want to participate, they wouldn't have.

I don't know why they never got the league moved to Ankeny though. Basically right between Drake and Iowa State.
Sorry you didn't like what information I provided. Just because they've been pondering the idea of pulling out for a while doesn't mean they would've pulled out at the first thought of it. They like the fan interaction side of it, which is the main reason why they continue to do it anymore. Granted that info is what I heard from when Prohm was in charge, not sure what TJ's approach would be.

I agree that Ankeny would be a more ideal location, however, the league is operated by the Walnut Creek YMCA, hence why it is held in West Des Moines.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
why they are just playing basketball. Basically pickup games with refs. It’s actually safer for them than what they do. So do you think they just won’t play any ball or pickup games to avoid injury?

Im assuming he doesn’t know they play a ton of pickup games. He thinks they just go to practice and play the scheduled games lol.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron