Can you cook?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yeah, I'm the primary cook in my house. I do it because I enjoy it and @Angie is ****ing terrible at it. I do pretty well with pan sauces. I don't really use recipes, just recipe frameworks that I play around with depending on what we have on hand or what I'm in the mood for.

I dabble in lots of things, and have some dishes that I'm stronger at than others, but nothing that I would call my specialty. Gun to my head, I'd say I make really good enchiladas.

Also, perhaps more importantly, IDGAF about cooking. I think it is an amazing art that I enjoy in others, but in which I personally have zero interest or talent. You do it well, so I don’t have to.

I think it is incredible that you all are such great cooks. And it sounds like mostly self-taught, which is crazy to me! It takes a refined palate to know when something needs more sage or cumin or thyme or whatever.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
My wife is the primary cook, but I'm the specialty cook. I've been on a real Asian kick the last few months, part probably because all of our favorite local Chinese restaurants are closed, part of it is I've been passing my SIP time with a lot of anime, manga, and Japanese light novels. One of them was Food Wars, and so many things in that anime and manga looked good so I started cooking them. The pineapple curry fried rice and greet tea sweet & sour pork both really came out well.

Yesterday I made steak and mushroom ramen. My wife let me know I'm making that again.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I always really enjoy cooking when I actually do it, it's the set up and clean up part I hate. I've made meatballs that I kinda made up my own recipe for that I get asked to bring to all of that friend groups' functions. Besides that nothing sticks out. Would definitely like to get better at it though

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I think I make some pretty great stuff. My kids say I can cook, but they never eat what I make. I prefer umami and spicy flavors. They aren't afraid of big flavors but they're teenagers or preteens so everything I do is just "meh."

I've started cooking with my 14 year old though when he finds a recipe he wants to try (we've done pork gyoza and a chicken ramen recently) and we both enjoy it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yes, I like making any dish. Now which is my favorite to eat? Probably my stuffed chicken alfredo.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Yes. Ribs and wings on the pellet grill. Along with Pork Loin. Besides the other usuals. Instant Pot a lot of roasts and vegetables in winter. Favorite oven dish is my stuffed boneless butterfly chops with cream of mushroom soup on top.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I’ve never found cooking hard. No one would ever call me great. But I can follow a recipe fine. I just really hate all the dishes.

We are pretty committed to cooking mostly healthy meals for our family though. Mostly out of necessity due to my wife’s food allergy.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I do the cooking in our household. I'm pretty good and have an ok amount of recipes in my head. I can usually read a recipe and modify it to my liking. I tend to cook savory dishes.

I would really like to lean how to make pan sauces.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I’m the cook at our house. We tried some of those meal kit services for a short period throughout the quarantine and learned a ton of great recipes to make on our own. For anyone looking to expand on their “go-to” meals I’d recommend it.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Cook? Yes.

Well? No.

Spaghetti has kept me alive most of my adult life
200.gif

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I grew up cooking. As a kid, I thought I had invented the hot tuna melt. I made a cake for my mom's birthday when I was 9. But didn't know what "confectioner's sugar" was, so the frosting didn't pan out too well. Worked as a line cook for a high end restaurant in our town -- eventually was put in charge of a week night, where I was the only "chef" at 16.

I'm primary cook for my family. Wifeypoo knows her way around a kitchen, but 90% of the time, I'm it.

Venison stroganoff is probably the family favorite, or italian beef cooked in a crock pot all day. Personally, I like to make different soups -- veggy beef (or venison), chicken noodle, creamy potato, new england clam chowder.

I still make myself tuna melts for lunch sometimes.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
-Can I cook? Yes. I shared a house with 3 other people at the last project I was at and we typically did a 'family' style dinner on Saturday and Sunday night. I think I cooked about 75% of those. One of the guys who briefly lived with us tried to get me to cook for him every night saying he'd buy all the groceries for both of us if I cooked everything.

-Do I like cooking? Yes. Cleanup never really bothered me either. Key is to clean while you go and not let it all build up. Chicken and sausage browning in the pot for jambayla? Take 60 seconds and wash your knife and cutting board in between stirring ingredients.

Do I cook? Not that much at the moment unfortunately. Cooking for just one person sucks IMO. You either end up eating the same thing for 4+ meals or throwing half of it out. Also can't have a grill at my apartment which sucks.

Favorite grilled meal was Fennel crusted, bacon wrapped, pork tenderloins with foil potatoes and grilled asparagus.

We also got into doing grilled shrimp tacos and did steak fajitas in the middle of a stupidly large snowstorm for the fun of it.

My go to kitchen dish is pecan chicken with rosemary red potatoes. Still trying to find a good sauce to go with it.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yes I can cook. I'm no chef but I get by
I go on kicks where I make something over and over until I get sick of it then move on to something else.
This reminds me, I should grab a flat iron from the freezer.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
If so, what is your favorite dish to make?
I think learning to cook is incredibly important for anyone who owns a kitchen. Unless you eat out every meal, why would you punish yourself by eating garbage your whole life? It's free to learn how to cook.
I love to cook.
My favorite dish? Pizza, Fettuccine Alfredo, and my nashville hot chickem

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
I've always cooked thanks to my mom. I've been really working on my pizza game during quarantine. Every dough I make has been a little different; last week I made a sourdough crust with semolina flour in deep-dish form. One of the best yet - it was perfectly crispy and pillowy. Now I just need to build a wood-fired oven.

I also love to make a pork shoulder cooked in a tomatillo-chipotle pepper sauce. Eat it over rice, beans (not canned!), sauteed veggies, and cotija cheese. I'm making that tonight - my father picked up a few Duroc pork butts for the 4th and I was able to snag one. Drool.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron