Can/Bottle Redemption

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Speaking from experience, you don't want grocery stores taking back cans. There are a lot of gross things that come back in those cans and you don't want people carrying them into the store.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I live in a state with no deposit and they just end up on the side of the road or the trash here.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm good with like Hy-vee and their dedicated can/bottle room like they have at mine.

Same here. I'm the person that will take back a couple grocery bags full back at a time, not 2-3 garbage bags full like I see. I have had a couple times where the person stuffing cans in will let me do my two dozen or so. Still trying to figure out the $6 limit policy thing, since I only average around $2-$2.50 whenever I go every couple of weeks.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Same here. I'm the person that will take back a couple grocery bags full back at a time, not 2-3 garbage bags full like I see. I have had a couple times where the person stuffing cans in will let me do my two dozen or so. Still trying to figure out the $6 limit policy thing, since I only average around $2-$2.50 whenever I go every couple of weeks.
There are people that will wait up to a year sometimes more return them so they can have that 300 - $400 return all at once and they say they like to use that to go spend on stuff. Those are the problem people

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
When a lot of places stopped taking cans for awhile in 2020 because of covid when they finally did start taking them back I had a bunch bagged up I didn't want to deal with but a lot of groups like the boy scouts wanted them so ever since I just drop off mine in the bins around town that some of these groups have setup to collect cans and bottles. I figure the $5-10 I was getting back when I took mine in is just not worth it to me anymore to spend the 15 minutes or whatever it took to run them through the machines at the grocery store. Just a little something that saves me time while helping raise some funds for the groups willing to sort through and get the deposit money from them.

If they ever do get rid of the bottle deposit I hope the local recycling companies either set out more bins around town or do recycling collection every week because our household usually fills up our bin with just plastics and cardboard by the time the every other week collection. They will need to need to compensate for not having an outlet for cans and bottles if they do that or its just going to lead to more in the landfills or litter.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
There are people that will wait up to a year sometimes more return them so they can have that 300 - $400 return all at once and they say they like to use that to go spend on stuff. Those are the problem people
This is why I quit redeeming them even before Covid. I always was behind that guy with my two grocery bags of cans. And that’s always the person that stores them in some shed or something and dumps out the bag with dead mice and bats and broken glass. Just revolting.

There are multiple groups that take donated cans, so whenever I go anywhere that requires driving by one of them, I take the cans with me.

The redemption center in town closed during Covid so the nearest one is 15 miles.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I knew a bar that returned once a year. That way he didn’t have to claim them and used them for personal use. I dreaded walking in on that day.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
22 cans per day for a full year, they either need a new liver or have diabetes.

Friendly reminder the Grimes Fareway has a can collection bin for the local boyscouts.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I don't miss this Iowa thing. Just been recycling them for years. I don't think the % of cans or bottles that end up as litter is any higher really. People who litter will throw something anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
New bill makes it more difficult to get your 5 cent refund. All this does is put more burden on the individual and disproportionally affect those who are less fortunate.

Redemption center within 20 miles of store you purchased bottle/can/glass from. Store can give you the middle finger and say take it to the redemption center. Nobody is going to drive up to 40 miles (round trip) to drop off cans. Also, redemption centers don't give you your full 5 cents back.

Just end it entirely if they're going to do that.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I don't miss this Iowa thing. Just been recycling them for years. I don't think the % of cans or bottles that end up as litter is any higher really. People who litter will throw something anyway.

Yeah, growing up in Illinois in one of the suburbs, I can’t say the roads were any more littered than in Iowa. Maybe due to population density Iowa looks better, but I’d probably guess that a per capita would be the same.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, growing up in Illinois in one of the suburbs, I can’t say the roads were any more littered than in Iowa. Maybe due to population density Iowa looks better, but I’d probably guess that a per capita would be the same.

There's a lot of correlation=causation done by those who say "the bottle bill cleaned up the roads" when in actuality it's just that public attitudes towards littering changed everywhere over the years.

• Agree
Reactions: SCNCY

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
At this point it sounds like they are just making it a TAX. Here are the bullet points of the article posted above.
  • Create a 2-cent handling fee for redemption centers
  • Allow retailers to opt out of taking returns if the store is within a 20-mile radius of a redemption center
  • Require a universal product code label with the redemption value on all eligible containers
  • Delegate the program to the Alcoholic Beverages Division instead of the Department of Natural Resources
  • Start a state mechanism to recover the nickel from unredeemed cans. Rozenboom said up to $48 million goes unredeemed each year.
Make it harder for people to get their redemption, and find a way for the state to "recover" the 48 mill that goes unredeemed...its a TAX now, got it!

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Can redemtion pisses me off. The governor will say its to keep roads clean, thats garbage. With todays recycling efforts and ease of recycling, we could eliminate the can redemption tax. We never take ours back they go straight landfill or recycling. Where does the $$$ go for cans not returned, state fund? Answer that and that is the sole reason can redemption is here to stay.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that you have never walked a county ditch. I used to live a mile on gravel and would walk the ditch in March or April and I would fill up a can bag from that. Not saying the nickel deterred littering but I would not have picked the cans up if it weren’t for the deposit.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Have two trash cans in my kitchen, one for recyclables and one for "trash". If the Iowa bottle law went away, would just throw my pop/beer containers in my kitchen recyclables can.

But as long as there is an entity that will collect cans and give me a nickel, I'm tight enough I'll take to a redemption center. In Dubuque the grocery stores (at least Walmart) have started taking cans back. But there is a redemption center that collected cans over the Covid pandemic, so I continue to take them there. Their location is convenient and a person counts the cans/bottles and gives me a slip to give to a cashier. Never taken me more than 5 minutes.

Don't see a need to require HyVee, Fareway, etc. to take back recyclables. Some entity will step in if there $ to be made. Either that or have city recycling bins be the same size as garbage bins (not the small yellow containers). That was the case when I lived in Clive and recycling was collected every 2 weeks- seemed to work great!