Campustown Redevelopment

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Since this thread has become a bit of a catch-all for development in Ames...

The former Carlos O'Kelly's/Other Place building (631 Lincoln Way) has a new tenant.

I was just thinking to myself, “What this town really needs is another Mexican restaurant.”

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
I was just thinking to myself, “What this town really needs is another Mexican restaurant.”
Maybe my sarcasm meter is broken, but if you think Ames has a lot of Mexican restaurants, don’t travel too close to any US-MX border states, your mind will be blown.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Maybe my sarcasm meter is broken, but if you think Ames has a lot of Mexican restaurants, don’t travel too close to any US-MX border states, your mind will be blown.

While you are 100% correct, the ratio of low/middle-range Mexican restaurants:total restaurants in Ames is kind of astounding.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
While you are 100% correct, the ratio of low/middle-range Mexican restaurants:total restaurants in Ames is kind of astounding.

Ankeny pretty similar. I think there's like 6mexican restaurants along that small stretch of delaware

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Ankeny pretty similar. I think there's like 6mexican restaurants along that small stretch of delaware

Guadalajara is my jam along that corridor....looks like they just added on to their place as well.

Reactions: Cytown12

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
https://www.amestrib.com/story/business ... 454918001/

- Kum and Go will open an urban-style convenience store along Lincoln way in campustown (ground floor of 2320 building next to Blaze). It will be similar to one that just opened in DSM. Opening early December.

- Jersey Mikes is opening a location in the former Bruegger’s location near Grand Ave and Lincoln Way intersection

- Hunziker says an update is coming soon on the downtown gateway development project along Lincoln Way.

• Informative
Reactions: Cypow

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
https://www.amestrib.com/story/business ... 454918001/

- Hunziker says an update is coming soon on the downtown gateway development project along Lincoln Way.

I would absolutely love it if Lincoln Way from Duff to Squaw Creek grew upward density-wise. Obviously it would need to be more residential-focused west of Iowa DOT, but that corridor has a ton of potential given the traffic and the 1 route on Cyride.

Reactions: Jammin’

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Hey, has anybody heard any updates on where the city is with the possible relocation of the campustown fire station?

PROJECTS NOT YET INCLUDED IN THE (2021-26) CIP. Mr. Schainker highlighted a few projects that will be needed in the near future; however, because of a need for additional information or other funding priorities at this time, they have not yet been included in the CIP. Those projects include the following:

...."With increased densities in Campustown, it has become more dangerous for pedestrians when fire trucks exit and enter Fire Station No. 2 on Welch Avenue. Because of this, the relocation of Fire Station No. 2 needs to be considered by the City Council. City staff has been working with Iowa State University administrators to identify alternate sites on University property along State Avenue in order to maintain adequate response times to the ISU campus as well as other parts of the city."

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
PROJECTS NOT YET INCLUDED IN THE (2021-26) CIP. Mr. Schainker highlighted a few projects that will be needed in the near future; however, because of a need for additional information or other funding priorities at this time, they have not yet been included in the CIP. Those projects include the following:

...."With increased densities in Campustown, it has become more dangerous for pedestrians when fire trucks exit and enter Fire Station No. 2 on Welch Avenue. Because of this, the relocation of Fire Station No. 2 needs to be considered by the City Council. City staff has been working with Iowa State University administrators to identify alternate sites on University property along State Avenue in order to maintain adequate response times to the ISU campus as well as other parts of the city."

That is GREAT news! I hope take out to road and make welch into a pedestrian only space

Reactions: Freebird

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Old middle school seems like the obvious choice.

which one of us is opening a brewery/craft beer bar in the old fire station?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Old middle school seems like the obvious choice.

Most of that area is already spoken for, and it's not on university property.

The only currently-available space that's on university property is part of the old Arboretum, at State and Arbor -- across the street from where the middle school used to be. If it's in that spot, they wouldn't have to redo the Cross Country course.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Speaking of Campustown/Welch Ave/Fire Station, I drove down Welch Ave the other day. The "new streetscape" is mostly done and it looks pretty underwhelming. To be fair, it is (1) (too!) easy to criticize, and (2) they state the benches etc not yet arrived (3) reconstruction of underground utilities as much of reason for project as streetscape, but my review:

Good/Fine:
  • New pavement and cleaned up sidewalks
  • traded parking for bike lanes

Bad/Missed Chances:
  • Boring tall standard street light poles, no more "charming" brown lamp style w street and sidewalk lights (see pics) (Will be harder for VEISHA Memorial Rioters to tear down I suppose)
  • Pitifully TINY trees in these "tree trenches"... Why not start with biggest trees possible once you've removed all old trees?? I've seen 4 in diameter trees planted in subdivisions, etc.
  • The trenches will just end up as garbage pits and places for drunk people to fall on head when they are "serving as seating options""
  • Big 'tree trenches" leave no room for plantings...maybe they'll put tall grasses in with trees?
  • Sidewalks didn't appear much wider...no real new chances for patio or island-patios between sidewalk and curb . Mostly taken up by giant "tree trenches"
  • Welch Ave "Ped Mall" dreams must now be dead #4EVA!

AmesTrib link mostly about the stormwater features to preserve runoff to Lake Laverne:

New 2021 Pic from AmesTrib:
1622491187463.png
Old 2019 pic from Google Streetview
1622491238472.png

City website from project:
15' sidewalks, 8' for walkway - (Compare streetlights on cute drawing vs streelights installed)
1622491912721.png

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Its stupid what they are doing with Welch. The powers that be have bungled this stretch for decades. I do live in Ames but I don't care what happens on Welch anymore I rarely go their anyway.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Its stupid what they are doing with Welch. The powers that be have bungled this stretch for decades. I do live in Ames but I don't care what happens on Welch anymore I rarely go their anyway.

Getting to be an old person are you? ;)

Reactions: harimad

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Campustown could probably benefit from a comprehensive plan to help guide city and private development. That would hopefully give it some cohesion. I think the current council motioned to create such a plan, but it may have been postponed due to funding concerns at the onset of COVID. As for the Welch Ave project I agree not a big fan, the water quality improvements are nice but that's about it (although the aesthetics and the trees are subpar).