Bruns - Iowa Everywhere

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
It’s pretty amazing that this last block is ISU football honestly. Throw in conference road game records and that chart alone shows why no one should calling for CMC to leave or even be on the hot seat. Just have to have to have to get better on the line. Not great, just serviceable.
So far this year, ISU has the worst scoring offense in conference games, at 9.3 ppg behind the 9th place team. For all games, ISU is 10.5 ppg behind the 9th place team. Look around at the other P5 conferences...these spreads for ISU are crazy. ISU's offensive incompetence relative to its conference peers is mind-boggling, especially for a 7th year head coach who has basically had mostly the same offensive coaching staff in place for several years.

In Campbell's first year (2016), ISU averaged 29.4 ppg in conference. This year, ISU is averaging 16.6 ppg in conference. I think there is way more going on here than just needing just a serviceable offensive line. Something is way off. As a conference, the Big 12 is good at defense, but they are no defensive juggernaut.

In the meantime, ISU has the best scoring and yardage defense in the conference for both conference and overall play...

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
How on Earth did they manage that much scoring without breaking 1000 yards?!?
I have no idea. I thought the only way to get the ball into the endzone was to run it up the middle from shotgun. They did some strange, bizarre play on the goal line where they faked the pitch and threw the defense off and another really weird play where they threw the ball to a tall receiver. I have never seen anything like it I don't know how it worked!

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
If you think today's top Big12 teams are anywhere near as talented as the usual Nebraska, Texas, aTm, and Oklahoma of the glory days of the Big12 I don't know what to tell you.

Apples. Oranges.

Bottom is better, sure, but top isn't near the cream it was.
so we're at least going back 10 years, but more like 20+?

I would say this is true across the board except for Bama and OSU. Few of the blue bloods from the 90's and early 2000s are as dominant as they once were. There's greater parity across the board.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
so we're at least going back 10 years, but more like 20+?

I would say this is true across the board except for Bama and OSU. Few of the blue bloods from the 90's and early 2000s are as dominant as they once were. There's greater parity across the board.
You can't judge a conference by its best 1 or 2 teams (especially in a conference where you may not play those teams every year). This year's Big 12 has a lower ceiling but also a MUCH higher floor, meaning it's much more difficult for even an elite team to get through unscathed.

For every Bama there's a Vandy or an A&M.

For every OSU there's a Rutgers or an Indiana.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
As for conference quality, let's look at the next level.

CONFERENCECOUNT
SEC505
Big Ten381
ACC307
Pac-12298
Big 12207
AAC143
C-USA113
MWC103
IND87
MAC72
SUN50

Oh.

NFL BY COLLEGE
Love these kind of stats. Although the fact remains that the SEC is by far the best for putting guys into the NFL, the gap diminishes when you adjust for the fact that they have 40% more teams. B12 still trails most others even when adjusted.

Just like the NCAA BB tourney, where they list picks by conference. B12 never is first, but they are often first in % of teams participating. As with any numbers, you need to understand the context to draw valid conclusions.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It's beyond the point if the conference is better or worse. 5-18 vs even competition (metrics/Vegas lines). That it's terrible. To be clear that means against teams that are even talent wise, performance wise, we are winning approximately 20%. That's confirmation of coaching being lacking.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
It's beyond the point if the conference is better or worse. 5-18 vs even competition (metrics/Vegas lines). That it's terrible. To be clear that means against teams that are even talent wise, performance wise, we are winning approximately 20%. That's confirmation of coaching being lacking.
Power run up the middle from shotgun!!

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Isn't CampbellBall fun?

My favorite is when the press points that out and we get to listen to Matt's excuses.

An entire season wasted due to arrogance and hubris.

$4 Million to Matty and, what, $800,000 to Manning?

That is a lot of money.
Closer to $5 million and $1million

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
It’s amazing what some think to explain these results. They want to say that 2020 was the greatest season and the greatest Iowa State football team of all time with the Fiesta Bowl win. Alright let’s agree and say the unique circumstances of 2020 didn’t matter at all. In fact it only worked against us because if we just would have had our limited crowd in Jack Trice we never would have been clobbered by the Rajin Cajuns!

The unique circumstances of 2020 only hindered us they didn’t help us cry those who say it’s concrete proof we have an infallible coaching staff.

As for going 7-6 the seasons before and after the explanation is well sometimes the ball just doesn’t bounce our way :).

As for going 4-7 well sometimes you have a down year. The alternative is being blown out so just accept it.

I don't have to accept anything. This is a fan message board...why can't we rationally address and discuss the shortcomings of this team? You aren't concerned at all after watching this season?

For me, if I'm not enjoying something - I'm not going to spend my money on it. So yeah, if there aren't changes, I'm not going to accept it and will probably give up my 6 season tickets.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't have to accept anything. This is a fan message board...why can't we rationally address and discuss the shortcomings of this team? You aren't concerned at all after watching this season?

For me, if I'm not enjoying something - I'm not going to spend my money on it. So yeah, if there aren't changes, I'm not going to accept it and will probably give up my 6 season tickets.
He's being sardonic.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA

I have been concerned since 2019. I was summarizing every response and thought process those that absolutely do not want to consider the shortcomings of this team propose.

There are many who simply do not want to think there is anything wrong at all.

I agree with you about not enjoying something that you should not spend your money or time on it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It’s pretty evident Manning didn’t develop anyone. There’s a reason Purdy got worse every year he was here
I'm pretty sure he took over tight end after Golesh, unless we want to give Alex all that credit.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Is yards per point a stat anyone tracks? I bet we have one of the highest yards per point total in modern history.

Move with ease between the 10s and don’t score points
Yep.

Here it is for this year. NCAAF Yards Per Point

ISU comes in at #125 out of 131 teams.

We're almost the worst team in football.

And I'm the bad guy for wanting wholesale changes in the offensive staff.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
As for NFL players per school instead of gross, it becomes:

ACC: 20
Big Ten: 27
Big12: 21
Pac12: 25
SEC: 36
AAC: 13
CUSA: 10
MWC: 8

So yeah, we're clearly in 4th place and barely above the ACC.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
You’re not a bad guy for that. You’re just going about it in the dooshiest way possible.
I'm trying to save Cyclone Football in case my nieces decide to go there.

Because if wholesale changes are not made right after this season ends, you can forget about next year.

Or Campbell getting back to .500.

Because there is absolutely no reason to believe that, not with our current recruiting rankings.

• Haha
Reactions: SerenityNow

Help Support Us

Become a patron