Bruns - Iowa Everywhere

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Rewatch the last offensive series in the 2020 conference championship game and you see some strangely familiar things:

1. Consecutive false starts
2. A clear indecisiveness on what play to call
3. Purdy forced to rush without a clear play determined resulting in an interception and ultimately the game. Yes other factors put the game in that position but that one decisive drive shows all the same trademarks seen this year.
4. The appearance is the game moves too fast for the coaching staff to determine plays and you see this very clearly whenever it’s a two minute drill especially although it’s always present.
5. Everyone has seen the offense is best when it moves quickly and forces other teams to react. The reality is it cedes the initiative to every single defense it faces by being indecisive and not having the next two to three plays in mind. This has been an issue for years.
6. The continuing major scheme and play execution issues with offense and special teams have been apparent for years. The fact that these issues continue is alarming and will continue to limit the team.

This is what I've been saying for the second half of the year. Last year, we had an NFL QB, NFL RB, NFL TE, and an NFL WR (X) to cover up these offensive issues. It's also crazy that we had NFL players at key positions and went 7-6.

My complaint has been that we are using the same schemes, play calling, lack of accountability, etc. that caused us to go 7-6 with NFL talent this year when we don't have NFL talent at key positions and expecting better results than we had with those players.

mark82

Jun 19, 2006
Great insights as usual. I learn something every time I listen to a new podcast from Bruns.

One comment on presentation and maybe its just me, but I find is constant lip smacking and swallowing distracting. In my view he could benefit from some microphone practice. Just my opinion.

But the content is superb! Thanks Ben.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonscin

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
No doubt about, but turnovers aside we missed game saving stops. We are coached to get stops.
Hard to make big stops if you're playing passive. We don't rush if we don't have to. We almost always go into umbrella. Bend but don't break is fine unless your offense can't score. Then you need to be more like Iowa and play the ball not the formation and down.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This is what I've been saying for the second half of the year. Last year, we had an NFL QB, NFL RB, NFL TE, and an NFL WR (X) to cover up these offensive issues. It's also crazy that we had NFL players at key positions and went 7-6.

My complaint has been that we are using the same schemes, play calling, lack of accountability, etc. that caused us to go 7-6 with NFL talent this year when we don't have NFL talent at key positions and expecting better results than we had with those players.

How many other teams that we play also have “NFL players” at key positions? And probably better ones than ours except Breece?

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA

It’s amazing what some think to explain these results. They want to say that 2020 was the greatest season and the greatest Iowa State football team of all time with the Fiesta Bowl win. Alright let’s agree and say the unique circumstances of 2020 didn’t matter at all. In fact it only worked against us because if we just would have had our limited crowd in Jack Trice we never would have been clobbered by the Rajin Cajuns!

The unique circumstances of 2020 only hindered us they didn’t help us cry those who say it’s concrete proof we have an infallible coaching staff.

As for going 7-6 the seasons before and after the explanation is well sometimes the ball just doesn’t bounce our way :).

As for going 4-7 well sometimes you have a down year. The alternative is being blown out so just accept it.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
If you think today's top Big12 teams are anywhere near as talented as the usual Nebraska, Texas, aTm, and Oklahoma of the glory days of the Big12 I don't know what to tell you.

Apples. Oranges.

Bottom is better, sure, but top isn't near the cream it was.

Reactions: STLISU

Jonyrose

Oct 5, 2017
Is yards per point a stat anyone tracks? I bet we have one of the highest yards per point total in modern history.

Move with ease between the 10s and don’t score points

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Cyclonscin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Is yards per point a stat anyone tracks? I bet we have one of the highest yards per point total in modern history.

Move with ease between the 10s and don’t score points
I wondered about that while walking out of JTS on Saturday. I can't imagine a team consistently having a worse ratio.