Brockington and the NBA Draft

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I don't think he's hit many long threes.

He's been feasting on open corner threes -- ones that are about the same distance from the hoop as many of his mid-range step-backs only they count for three points instead of two, of course.

Good thing corner NBA 3's are basically the same as college NBA 3's

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I was reading a recent article about IB and he sounds like it is 50/50 right now... I would assume he'll put his name in for evaluation depending on that and discussion with his family decide.

"Brockington has another decision to make after this season ends. He has one more year of eligibility. He can continue to build on what he has achieved or make the leap to the pros.

The senior will wait until the offseason to sort through those choices. He has already spent five years in college.

“That’s something I’ve got to talk to my family about and really weigh my options,” Brockington said. “Figure out, is it best for me to come back? I’ve been dreaming of playing pro since I was 3 years old really. The dream hasn’t changed. So my ultimate goal is to be a professional for sure.”

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I don't see what more he can do to raise his stock. He's not a perfect pro prospect but he's a plus athlete, good defender and rebounder, and has now shown the ability to hit the three at a 40% clip.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Would actually love to see him go pro and shut up all the Hawk fans who think they have supplanted us as the NBA production factory in the state.
what-michael-scott.gif

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
NBA gms will value his defense way more than any non-NBA fans realize, look at how rapidly Georges improved on defense. It wasn't by accident. It was the only way to advance his career. If you aren't a great defender you have to be an all star level scorer and IB is that for college but not at next level among shooting guards. Of course being dominant with one hand doesn't help but I don't think it's a death sentence.

The way he has been hitting the 3 and long 3s recently is absolutely the best thing he could have done for scouts. It's why I went from thinking he wouldn't be drafted to a guy who has a shot at second round pick or sticking eventually without being drafted.
And not just being a great defender, but having some defensive flexibility. He has shown he can be a real problem defending bigger players. I think we're seeing in a league loaded with long scorers, having a guy with plenty of quickness and strength to get up into those guys is the best recipe to disrupt a great scorer with length. Not that it's a great direct comparison, but the value of a guy like PJ Tucker shows how a guy like IB might find a fit somewhere.

Reactions: HFCS

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I was reading a recent article about IB and he sounds like it is 50/50 right now... I would assume he'll put his name in for evaluation depending on that and discussion with his family decide.

"Brockington has another decision to make after this season ends. He has one more year of eligibility. He can continue to build on what he has achieved or make the leap to the pros.

The senior will wait until the offseason to sort through those choices. He has already spent five years in college.

“That’s something I’ve got to talk to my family about and really weigh my options,” Brockington said. “Figure out, is it best for me to come back? I’ve been dreaming of playing pro since I was 3 years old really. The dream hasn’t changed. So my ultimate goal is to be a professional for sure.”
Good to hear but I just don't see him coming back. 5 years out of HS is ancient by NBA standards. He should get drafted in the second round and would likely earn a two way contract from pretty much any team with a shot at a full contract. If it doesn't work out he can go make bank in Europe.

That said it will be amazing if he does come back.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Would actually love to see him go pro and shut up all the Hawk fans who think they have supplanted us as the NBA production factory in the state.

They have one guy on a NBA contract and has had 17 DNP’s in his last 20 games. The other 2 are on two way contracts. They are going to get one drafted this year pretty high but myself, and others are skeptical of his ability in the NBA to be anything other than a role player.

Meanwhile, we have a star in the making playing for Indiana in TH, a consistent starter playing for one of the wests better teams and having a damn good year playing the most minutes, scoring the most he ever has, and the most assists in Monte, and another averaging careers highs in Philly in Niang, oh and another potential very good player over there on the lakers in THT. Would be doing more but being with Lebron makes that difficult. And we have Thomas for the bulls and wigginton for the bucks.

Reactions: isutrevman

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Good to hear but I just don't see him coming back. 5 years out of HS is ancient by NBA standards. He should get drafted in the second round and would likely earn a two way contract from pretty much any team with a shot at a full contract. If it doesn't work out he can go make bank in Europe.

That said it will be amazing if he does come back.
A little NIL could go a long way here. IB and TJ put their faith in each other and IB flourished as the alpha on a good team. Next year he could do the same on a even better team.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
They have one guy on a NBA contract and has had 17 DNP’s in his last 20 games. The other 2 are on two way contracts. They are going to get one drafted this year pretty high but myself, and others are skeptical of his ability in the NBA to be anything other than a role player.

Meanwhile, we have a star in the making playing for Indiana in TH, a consistent starter playing for one of the wests better teams and having a damn good year playing the most minutes, scoring the most he ever has, and the most assists in Monte, and another averaging careers highs in Philly in Niang, oh and another potential very good player over there on the lakers in THT. Would be doing more but being with Lebron makes that difficult. And we have Thomas for the bulls and wigginton for the bucks.
Oh I am fully aware of our NBA production. But Hawk fans keep telling me that Luka is getting snubbed in Detroit where he should be averaging double doubles, is the best big on Detroit's sorry ass roster (big whoop, even if true) and Keegan will be the next coming of Giannis. His brother Kris will be a star in the NBA too I'm told. Big yawn. You can really tell how insecure they are about their lack of basketball success and production over the last 2 decades. The only point I can agree with them on is Weiskamp should've stuck around for one more year. Both parties would be better off for it.

I LOL'd at all the Iowa fans wearing Garza jerseys at their game the other night and he shows up not even wearing Hawk gear, just a black turtleneck. Looked like he was dressed appropriately for the funeral home that is Carver.

Reactions: CychiatricWard

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Bridges is 6’6” with a 7’1” wingspan.
Yeah Brockington is the lighter version. Less height and less wingspan, if he could carve out a role half of what Bridges has in PHX, there's a spot for him in the NBA. A slashing guard that can hang out in the corner and shoot open 3's or take it to the rack with his big left hand.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think he's hit many long threes.

He's been feasting on open corner threes -- ones that are about the same distance from the hoop as many of his mid-range step-backs only they count for three points instead of two, of course.
Coincidentally about the same distance as an NBA corner three.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

those comments have 'go' all over them....doubt he could improve or look better than what he's done this year

CoachBob

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
So all our seniors have an extra year if they want it, correct? What about the others? Any thoughts

Zay - 50/50 according to the article
George - No idea
Jazz - No idea
Gabe - No idea

Anybody have any thoughts on these guys? For reference here is the scholly chart

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Yeah Brockington is the lighter version. Less height and less wingspan, if he could carve out a role half of what Bridges has in PHX, there's a spot for him in the NBA. A slashing guard that can hang out in the corner and shoot open 3's or take it to the rack with his big left hand.
Hence the light comment, lol. Sometimes people are so quick to jump down someone’s throat when making a comparison it’s hilarious.

I interpreted “light” as “poor man’s,” and I don’t think that’s the case. No throat jumping intended, I just think it’s a bad comp with such wildly different body types. Reasonable people can certainly disagree.

This also makes me realize how little NBA I have watched since work travel went away. Marcus Smart with less wingspan and better offense? I didn’t think IZB stood much chance of making a roster, but if the recent 3-point explosion is the real deal, he may find a spot.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
So all our seniors have an extra year if they want it, correct? What about the others? Any thoughts

Zay - 50/50 according to the article
George - No idea
Jazz - No idea
Gabe - No idea

Anybody have any thoughts on these guys? For reference here is the scholly chart
Would love it if Jazz Kunc can do another year.

This offseason of ISU hunting for bigs in the transfer portal is huge though - which 2 bigs we can get from it will be the factor to me that determines if we can continue to make another tourney again next year.