Breweries to survive coronavirus?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I know of an Iowa brewery whose keg orders were all cancelled in one day because of the pandemic. Most breweries that already offered canning or bottling now have curbside delivery. I have heard of those who will fill growlers (I assume there are cleanliness restrictions).
It is quite possible that some brewers and their beers will not survive. Just wondering if we can compile two lists.
List 1: Breweries we know have already closed permanently.
List 2: Beers that in your opinion would be difficult to do without or are worthy to keep even if the brewery closes its doors in the future.

Please DO NOT list those who you believe have closed.

List #1: I have no additions.
List #2:
- Easy Eddie - Big Grove Brewery;
- WitchSlap - Clockhouse Brewing;
- Back Road Stout - Millstream (not a great Oatmeal Stout, but one of the few I can get my hands on regularly);
- Black Cobra - Third Base Brewery (again, not a great Oatmeal Stout, but can usually be had at the brewery. Falls under "Prove to me that you can build a consistent Oatmeal Stout before you attempt to brew ANY effing coffee stouts or whisky stouts!");
- Blonde Fatale - Peacetree (despite the fact that it is a fairly poor Belgian imitation and though I nearly have a heart attack because of the combine alcohol % and corn syrups).​

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
This will probably just speed up the inevitable for the not so great breweries.

I stopped by 515 yesterday and they said the last couple days have been pretty crazy. I took that as meaning they were really busy. Got a couple crowlers of OJ Gets Lei’d and a couple growlers of Pitter Patter Lets Get at ‘Er. Both excellent.

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I know of an Iowa brewery whose keg orders were all cancelled in one day because of the pandemic. Most breweries that already offered canning or bottling now have curbside delivery. I have heard of those who will fill growlers (I assume there are cleanliness restrictions).
It is quite possible that some brewers and their beers will not survive. Just wondering if we can compile two lists.
List 1: Breweries we know have already closed permanently.
List 2: Beers that in your opinion would be difficult to do without or are worthy to keep even if the brewery closes its doors in the future.

Please DO NOT list those who you believe have closed.

List #1: I have no additions.
List #2:
- Easy Eddie - Big Grove Brewery;
- WitchSlap - Clockhouse Brewing;
- Back Road Stout - Millstream (not a great Oatmeal Stout, but one of the few I can get my hands on regularly);
- Black Cobra - Third Base Brewery (again, not a great Oatmeal Stout, but can usually be had at the brewery. Falls under "Prove to me that you can build a consistent Oatmeal Stout before you attempt to brew ANY effing coffee stouts or whisky stouts!");
- Blonde Fatale - Peacetree (despite the fact that it is a fairly poor Belgian imitation and though I nearly have a heart attack because of the combine alcohol % and corn syrups).​
Depends what state you are in , there are lot of re-purposed old warehouse out here in California, where they just brew beer and have food trucks park outside.

No take out beer, those guys probably don't make it :-(

Reactions: laminak

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Picked-up a dozen crowlers in Minneapolis today. Plan on doing the same in St Paul in a couple weeks.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I dunno what I would do if we lost Confluence and Peace Tree but both sell their products in the stores so they probably will be fine. Barn Town would be a huge loss not only because their beer is great but their food is awesome too. They are doing curbside to go for both, saw they are selling some kegs but at $150-180 for a 5.2 gallon keg you basically need your own kegerator or taps to be able to do that because you probably aren't going to be having a party to put it on ice and tap a keg anytime soon if you are complying with social distancing and groups under 10.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This will probably just speed up the inevitable for the not so great breweries.

Probably depends on their cost of overhead as well. A lot of breweries are in relatively cheap locations where the dollars being lost per day are less.I look at Mistress in what seems like a high rent location and think that a month off could be particularly costly.

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
I don’t know any that have completely closed in Omaha area. Most are offering crowler pickup. I recommend Kros Strain in Omaha for the Nebraska side of the river.

My plan is to buy crowlers from the local breweries, especially Full Fledged Brewery in CB to weather this storm.

Too bad the tailgate tour got cancelled, because Full Fledged would have been a great Cyclone meetup spot.

Go Cyclones!

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Probably depends on their cost of overhead as well. A lot of breweries are in relatively cheap locations where the dollars being lost per day are less.I look at Mistress in what seems like a high rent location and think that a month off could be particularly costly.

Yeah Mistress will be hurting for sure.

I’m a little worried about Gezellig personally. They make really good stuff but are fairly new and in a smaller market(Newton). Think I might have to make a trip over there this weekend.

Reactions: 2020cy

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
On the topic, what's the best place in the Des Moines area that has the best variety of craft beer as far as bottles/cans go? Looking to go out and stock up for a couple weeks..

• Friendly
Reactions: Al_4_State

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I hope my brother in law's brewery can weather this. They opened up last weekend...

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Damn, that is some crappy timing. Hope it goes well.

Yeah, I guess he'll be on the news today in San Antonio, so that'll help with some publicity. It's a small brewery with a tasting room. I don't think they're canning or bottling, buy will do growlers.