Breaking down the UNI Panthers

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It's the same story every year. UNI will sell out on the run. ISU typically plays right into that hoping they can show their dominance and run over them. ISU can't dominate them up front and before ISU knows what happened they are in a dog fight. Question will be is our line ready to dominate a team that is throwing everything at stopping the run? I hope so, otherwise it will be a close game in the second half.

We will be able to run the football against UNI.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
It's the same story every year. UNI will sell out on the run. ISU typically plays right into that hoping they can show their dominance and run over them. ISU can't dominate them up front and before ISU knows what happened they are in a dog fight. Question will be is our line ready to dominate a team that is throwing everything at stopping the run? I hope so, otherwise it will be a close game in the second half.

I'd like to see a play action pass to start the game, even if it just goes to Kolar or Breece out of the backfield. Letting a team like UNI use their adrenalin to get early stops always makes games like these closer than they should be.

I think we'll eventually wear them down for a comfortable win. However, letting UNI keep the game close leaves too many options for stupid **** to happen. And UNI has zero incentive to play it safe. I want a game that utilizes our weapons that will keep myself from worrying about things like a random dumb turnover, KO return for a TD, blown coverage leading to an easy TD, etc.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
God for once can we just blow out a team were supposed to blow out week one.
I was about to ask, how often have we just beat these guys like we should? Aside from the obvious losses, seems like too many close ones also! Need a strong start to make this year as great as we all think it can be.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I was about to ask, how often have we just beat these guys like we should? Aside from the obvious losses, seems like too many close ones also! Need a strong start to make this year as great as we all think it can be.
Yeah its pretty bad, for some reason our Oline always has an issue getting a push on their short Dline. Thats usually where our faults are. inability to dominate the line of scrimmage.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Here's a breakdown on UNI. I'll try (probably unsuccessfully) to be brief :)

First, I wouldn't put much in to what happened in the spring. The OC left for a job with the Packers a day before the first game, due to COVID precautions they were never able to practice more than 25 bodies at a time and lost over 200 starts to COVID. It was a year totally in a vacuum and they've moved on as though it didn't happen..

As has been the case for the last decade or so, the defense is as good as you get at the FCS level and is really fast and physical. The offense has talent everywhere but the quarterback position is totally in flux and hasn't at all been consistent.

Offense--

QB- Appears to be a two way battle between returning starter Will McElvain (5-11, 185) and Michigan State transfer Theo Day (6-5, 235). McElvain is the better athlete but isn't an accurate thrower and isn't patient in the pocket. The game he had in Ames in 2019 is head and shoulders the best game he's ever played. Day has a big arm and is a true pro-style quarterback. He was a 4 star recruit out of high school and did see the field in limited capacity at Michigan State. He was a casualty of the coaching change there. I expect McElvain to be the guy because Farley jsut can't quit him.

RB- There's a nice mix of youth and experience but no true stand out. Should be a 'by committee' situation that goes as the offensive line goes. Should see action from 4 backs:
32 Tyler Hoosman (6-0 215) (Plainfield, IL)
7 Dom Williams (5-10 200) (Kansas Transfer)
36 Bradrick Shaw (6-1 225) (Cal Transfer
31 Kendall Robinson (6-0 220) (Waterloo East)

WR- Deep, talented group with lots of experience but can anybody get the ball to them?
80 Isaiah Weston (Jr, 6-4 210) (Albertville, MN)
17 Logan Wolf (So, 6-5 200) (Cedar Falls)
1 Deion McShane (Jr, 5-6 175) (Freeport, IL)
4 Quan Hampton (Sr, 5-10 180) (Kansas Transfer)
13 Tysen Kershaw (Fr, 6-3 185) (Fort Dodge)
82 Sergio Morency (True Fr, 6-2 180) (Naples, FL)

TE- Not a feature in the offense. Used more as an extra tackle. 84 Jayden Scott (So, 6-5 255) (Omaha) and 42 Kyle Fortenbury (Grad, 6-4 245) (Opelika, AL) will get most of the snaps there.

OL- Big and physical but not well coached or schemed at times. New OL coach brought in so there is some optimism that its better. Trevor Penning will be drafted and is the definite standout of the bunch
LT- 70 Trevor Penning (RS Jr, 6-7 325) (Clear Lake)
LG- 75 Jared Penning (RS Fr, 6-6 338) (Clear Lake)
C- 61 Chase Arends (RS So, 6-1 300) (Dike)
or 66 Erik Sorenson (RS Jr, 6-6, 320) (Waukee)
RG- 72 Justin Peine (RS Jr, 6-6 329) (Parker, KS)
RT- 76 Antoine Frazier (Grad, 6-6, 315) (Huffman, TX) (Kansas Transfer)

Defense (4-2-5 Hybrid)--

DT- Led by Valley DPOY DT 44 Jared Brinkman (Sr, 6-2, 290) (Iowa City). Brinkman is a disrupter that is very good against the run and led the team in sacks last year. 99 Khristian Boyd (RS So, 6-4, 300) (Blue Springs, MO) and 94 Tim Butcher (Sr, 6-2 300) (Palmer, IA) will handle the other tackle. Boyd is the better pass rusher and athlete, Butcher is the better run stopper

DE- UNI tends to look for length and athleticism at the end spot and tends to look for pass rushers over run stoppers. Should see four guys get the majority of the snaps
93 Caden Houghtelling (So, 6-5 255) (Cambridge, NE)
91 Brawntae Wells (Sr, 6-4 300) (Dowling)
8 Devin Rice (RS So, 6-3 255) (Liberty, MO)
96 Cannon Butler (RS Fr, 6-7 215) (Waterloo Columbus)

LB- Three All Conference guys for two spots. Very good group though Flater will be limited as he had shoulder surgery after the first game of the spring.
22 Bryce Flater (RS Jr, 6-1 230) (Grundy Center)
41 Spencer Cuvelier (RS Sr, 6-3 235) (Cresco)
47 Riley Van Wyhe (RS Jr, 6-3 230) (Rock Rapids)

Hybrid- Swing safety/LB hybrid that will line up all over the place
40 Alfonso Lambert (RS Sr, 6-1 220) (Rockford, IL)-Running Downs
10 Eric Mooney (So, 6-3 190) (West Dundee, IL)- Passing Downs
37 Jace Andregg (RS Fr, 6-3 215) (Solon)

S- Not the most athletic group but they're physical and experienced and do a nice job against the run. Sapp gets an NFL look if he runs well enough.
9 Benny Sapp III (Jr, 6-1 205) (Ft Lauderdale, FL) (Minnesota Transfer)
5 Korby Sander (RS Jr, 6-1 215) (Belmond-Klemme)
0 Jevon Brekke (Jr, 6-3 200) (Minneapolis De La Salle)

CB-Another real strength of the defense. Omar Brown was national defensive freshman of the year two years ago and then didn't get many honors last year because nobody threw at him (6 balls all spring and he intercepted 2 of them). He's a draft pick eventually and is probably UNIs most talented defensive player overall.
24 Omar Brown (So, 6-1 200) (Minneapolis North)
27 Austin Evans (RS Sr, 6-1 190) (Kansas City Archbishop O'Hara)
3 Demarcus Governor (So, 5-11 185) (Plant City, FL)
34 Edwin Dearman (So, 5-11 200) (Houston, TX)

K/P- You all saw what Cook could do the last time UNI played in Ames. Struggled a little in the spring outdoors but I'm guessing there won't be snow piled on the sidelines in a couple weeks
K 97 Matthew Cook (So, 5-11 180) (Cedar Falls)
P 63 Nate Murphy (RS Jr, 6-1 175) (West Des Moines Valley)

As I said above, this game is somewhere between 31-14 and 42-6 depending on what UNI can do on offense. The defense is legit and can hang as long as they aren't on the field all day. UNI isn't going to back down so I think it's the perfect FCS game for Iowa State. A team like this needs to have somebody that isn't going to roll over and take the check and we know UNI won't do that.

My prediction--Iowa State 38-10. Competitive for 2 and a half quarters, something like 14-3 at halftime and then Iowa State's depth and the fact UNIs defense is on the field too much lets Iowa State cruise in the 4th.
Penning get drafted? I honestly haven’t seen him since HS but his feet and hips and desire must have really improved if so. In HS I figured he was a big project from what I saw of his games.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Penning get drafted? I honestly haven’t seen him since HS but his feet and hips and desire must have really improved if so. In HS I figured he was a big project from what I saw of his games.

He's come leaps and bounds. He's probably looking at being drafted around the same time Spencer Brown was. He's broken all of Brown's lifting records and should run a sub-5.0 40 with good agility numbers. He's on the Senior Bowl watch list and the guy that runs the Senior Bowl has been up to look at him.

Reactions: BCClone

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Here's a breakdown on UNI. I'll try (probably unsuccessfully) to be brief :)

First, I wouldn't put much in to what happened in the spring. The OC left for a job with the Packers a day before the first game, due to COVID precautions they were never able to practice more than 25 bodies at a time and lost over 200 starts to COVID. It was a year totally in a vacuum and they've moved on as though it didn't happen..

As has been the case for the last decade or so, the defense is as good as you get at the FCS level and is really fast and physical. The offense has talent everywhere but the quarterback position is totally in flux and hasn't at all been consistent.

Offense--

QB- Appears to be a two way battle between returning starter Will McElvain (5-11, 185) and Michigan State transfer Theo Day (6-5, 235). McElvain is the better athlete but isn't an accurate thrower and isn't patient in the pocket. The game he had in Ames in 2019 is head and shoulders the best game he's ever played. Day has a big arm and is a true pro-style quarterback. He was a 4 star recruit out of high school and did see the field in limited capacity at Michigan State. He was a casualty of the coaching change there. I expect McElvain to be the guy because Farley jsut can't quit him.

RB- There's a nice mix of youth and experience but no true stand out. Should be a 'by committee' situation that goes as the offensive line goes. Should see action from 4 backs:
32 Tyler Hoosman (6-0 215) (Plainfield, IL)
7 Dom Williams (5-10 200) (Kansas Transfer)
36 Bradrick Shaw (6-1 225) (Cal Transfer
31 Kendall Robinson (6-0 220) (Waterloo East)

WR- Deep, talented group with lots of experience but can anybody get the ball to them?
80 Isaiah Weston (Jr, 6-4 210) (Albertville, MN)
17 Logan Wolf (So, 6-5 200) (Cedar Falls)
1 Deion McShane (Jr, 5-6 175) (Freeport, IL)
4 Quan Hampton (Sr, 5-10 180) (Kansas Transfer)
13 Tysen Kershaw (Fr, 6-3 185) (Fort Dodge)
82 Sergio Morency (True Fr, 6-2 180) (Naples, FL)

TE- Not a feature in the offense. Used more as an extra tackle. 84 Jayden Scott (So, 6-5 255) (Omaha) and 42 Kyle Fortenbury (Grad, 6-4 245) (Opelika, AL) will get most of the snaps there.

OL- Big and physical but not well coached or schemed at times. New OL coach brought in so there is some optimism that its better. Trevor Penning will be drafted and is the definite standout of the bunch
LT- 70 Trevor Penning (RS Jr, 6-7 325) (Clear Lake)
LG- 75 Jared Penning (RS Fr, 6-6 338) (Clear Lake)
C- 61 Chase Arends (RS So, 6-1 300) (Dike)
or 66 Erik Sorenson (RS Jr, 6-6, 320) (Waukee)
RG- 72 Justin Peine (RS Jr, 6-6 329) (Parker, KS)
RT- 76 Antoine Frazier (Grad, 6-6, 315) (Huffman, TX) (Kansas Transfer)

Defense (4-2-5 Hybrid)--

DT- Led by Valley DPOY DT 44 Jared Brinkman (Sr, 6-2, 290) (Iowa City). Brinkman is a disrupter that is very good against the run and led the team in sacks last year. 99 Khristian Boyd (RS So, 6-4, 300) (Blue Springs, MO) and 94 Tim Butcher (Sr, 6-2 300) (Palmer, IA) will handle the other tackle. Boyd is the better pass rusher and athlete, Butcher is the better run stopper

DE- UNI tends to look for length and athleticism at the end spot and tends to look for pass rushers over run stoppers. Should see four guys get the majority of the snaps
93 Caden Houghtelling (So, 6-5 255) (Cambridge, NE)
91 Brawntae Wells (Sr, 6-4 300) (Dowling)
8 Devin Rice (RS So, 6-3 255) (Liberty, MO)
96 Cannon Butler (RS Fr, 6-7 215) (Waterloo Columbus)

LB- Three All Conference guys for two spots. Very good group though Flater will be limited as he had shoulder surgery after the first game of the spring.
22 Bryce Flater (RS Jr, 6-1 230) (Grundy Center)
41 Spencer Cuvelier (RS Sr, 6-3 235) (Cresco)
47 Riley Van Wyhe (RS Jr, 6-3 230) (Rock Rapids)

Hybrid- Swing safety/LB hybrid that will line up all over the place
40 Alfonso Lambert (RS Sr, 6-1 220) (Rockford, IL)-Running Downs
10 Eric Mooney (So, 6-3 190) (West Dundee, IL)- Passing Downs
37 Jace Andregg (RS Fr, 6-3 215) (Solon)

S- Not the most athletic group but they're physical and experienced and do a nice job against the run. Sapp gets an NFL look if he runs well enough.
9 Benny Sapp III (Jr, 6-1 205) (Ft Lauderdale, FL) (Minnesota Transfer)
5 Korby Sander (RS Jr, 6-1 215) (Belmond-Klemme)
0 Jevon Brekke (Jr, 6-3 200) (Minneapolis De La Salle)

CB-Another real strength of the defense. Omar Brown was national defensive freshman of the year two years ago and then didn't get many honors last year because nobody threw at him (6 balls all spring and he intercepted 2 of them). He's a draft pick eventually and is probably UNIs most talented defensive player overall.
24 Omar Brown (So, 6-1 200) (Minneapolis North)
27 Austin Evans (RS Sr, 6-1 190) (Kansas City Archbishop O'Hara)
3 Demarcus Governor (So, 5-11 185) (Plant City, FL)
34 Edwin Dearman (So, 5-11 200) (Houston, TX)

K/P- You all saw what Cook could do the last time UNI played in Ames. Struggled a little in the spring outdoors but I'm guessing there won't be snow piled on the sidelines in a couple weeks
K 97 Matthew Cook (So, 5-11 180) (Cedar Falls)
P 63 Nate Murphy (RS Jr, 6-1 175) (West Des Moines Valley)

As I said above, this game is somewhere between 31-14 and 42-6 depending on what UNI can do on offense. The defense is legit and can hang as long as they aren't on the field all day. UNI isn't going to back down so I think it's the perfect FCS game for Iowa State. A team like this needs to have somebody that isn't going to roll over and take the check and we know UNI won't do that.

My prediction--Iowa State 38-10. Competitive for 2 and a half quarters, something like 14-3 at halftime and then Iowa State's depth and the fact UNIs defense is on the field too much lets Iowa State cruise in the 4th.
Is OL Nick Ellis done? I know he was starting when healthy but has had a ton of injuries

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think we will struggle at times offensively and I will get frustrated watching. We’ve never been able to run on UNI. We’ve also never brought a top 10 team to the match up.
I don’t see Hall running all over these guys. I think he struggles early, probably less than 50 yards in the first half. Then gets taken out before the game is over, so he doesn’t break 100.
with that said, Brock will have a good day. 20/25 280 yards and 4 TD

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He's come leaps and bounds. He's probably looking at being drafted around the same time Spencer Brown was. He's broken all of Brown's lifting records and should run a sub-5.0 40 with good agility numbers. He's on the Senior Bowl watch list and the guy that runs the Senior Bowl has been up to look at him.
Good for him. Nice to see kids from my NC Iowa area do well.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
anyone know if UNI has any podcasts? I like to torture myself by listening to the other side the week before the game

Reactions: amishclone

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Hadn't seen this yet but ESPN released the announcers for the ESPN+ UNI Game:

Northern Iowa at No. 7 Iowa State
Shawn Kenney and Sage Rosenfels

Shawn Kenney is literally one of the nicest people walking the earth. Calls a pretty good game too, does mostly wrestling for ESPN along with the FCS Playoffs.

Reactions: nrg4isu

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
anyone know if UNI has any podcasts? I like to torture myself by listening to the other side the week before the game

They're on hiatus right now but I would expect 'On UNI' to be back soon. Hosted by Cole Bair (UNI Beat Writer for The Gazette and Sports Radio guy in Cedar Falls) and Jim Nelson (UNI Beat Writer for The Courier). I'll post a link when it's up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron