Bracketology 2024

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I see lunardi still has us playing South Dakota St.
Are we thinking story line matchup here? I have nothing bad to say about that fanbase but just gives our opponent an easy drive and makes my ticket price go up.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
My gut tells me we’re a 2. I think we have a legitimate argument to be a 1….. there’s something in me (this might be sick) thinking that it would be nice to have some bulletin board material for TJ and the crew going into the tournament after the big 12
Tourney win. Would that be getting a 1 and then the talking heads saying we don’t deserve it? Would it be getting the shaft and maybe ending up on a 3 line?

Reactions: tadsteinberger

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I think our defense could give NU fits though. And IL ran them over in the second half yesterday, so I wouldn't worry as much about our offense.

Hell no to BYU tho
Yeah I'd think we would win, but the tournament is all about matchups and I wouldn't love that matchup vs some of the other 8/9 seeds, plus that would likely be in Omaha.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yeah I'd think we would win, but the tournament is all about matchups and I wouldn't love that matchup vs some of the other 8/9 seeds, plus that would likely be in Omaha.

Yeah, wouldn't want to play Nebby in Omaha. But we've known for a while so I'd think our fans got a jump on tickets.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
ISU being in the discussion drives clicks.

There are 2 main reason I see that we won't get it. I think either in a vacuum would stop us. Both and there's no real chance.

1. The B12 wouldn't get two 1 seeds unless it was undeniable. This is not clear enough scenario to justify it.

2. The committee has been very clear that they don't want to reward weak NCSOS. I think Tennessee or Arizona would always get in over us for that last spot.

But it since we are right there, the media can spend all day discussing "what if" and more people will tune into the bracket reveal tonight.

So scheduling is the #1 determining factor? Then why play the freaking games? If you are going to award the seeds as the primary factor then there really is no need to have these Conference Tournaments. It is all about non-conference schedule.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I see lunardi still has us playing South Dakota St.
Are we thinking story line matchup here? I have nothing bad to say about that fanbase but just gives our opponent an easy drive and makes my ticket price go up.
No just Omaha is probably the closest site when it's SDSUs time to get places

Selmak The Tok'Ra

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2021
My gut tells me we’re a 2. I think we have a legitimate argument to be a 1….. there’s something in me (this might be sick) thinking that it would be nice to have some bulletin board material for TJ and the crew going into the tournament after the big 12
Tourney win. Would that be getting a 1 and then the talking heads saying we don’t deserve it? Would it be getting the shaft and maybe ending up on a 3 line?
We're one of five teams with 6 quad 1A wins, we have no bad losses, and we have a better overall resume than UNC. There's absolutely an argument for us to be the fourth 1 seed, but I doubt the committee will go with two 1-seeds from the same conference and I'd be surprised if we got it to be honest.

Still, UNC losing last night has given me a fantastic opportunity to troll UNC flairs on the collegebasketball sub-reddit this morning just because fo the sliver of doubt that their loss and our emphatic win has created in UNC being the fourth one seed and I've definitely been enjoying the trolling a little too much...

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
So scheduling is the #1 determining factor? Then why play the freaking games? If you are going to award the seeds as the primary factor then there really is no need to have these Conference Tournaments. It is all about non-conference schedule.
When you have teams that are very similar metrics wise you need to use something to separate them. The committee has chosen, right or wrong, to reward teams that chose to play tougher games. You can't chose your conference you can chose your non-con.

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
It's that time of year where the puke green team in Michigan magically gets in the tournament and is placed in a favorable region with weak top seeds, and a clear shot to the sweet 16. We will all be blessed to hear the deluge of verbal diarrhea streaming from the media on how Izzo "always has his team ready for March." Fortunately, everyone here knows that jerk off has one title, thanks only to some seriously questionable calls in a home game of a regional final.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Which is stupid because UNC gets invited to all the blue blood preseason tournaments hosted by ESPN. Most schools don’t have those opportunities. Of course MSU, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and UNC are going to have tougher NC schedules. Everyone else has to guess years in advance which tournament to play in without knowing who will be there.

The above is an example of an exclusive tournament where only select, hi profile teams get invited.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
It's that time of year where the puke green team in Michigan magically gets in the tournament and is placed in a favorable region with weak top seeds, and a clear shot to the sweet 16. We will all be blessed to hear the deluge of verbal diarrhea streaming from the media on how Izzo "always has his team ready for March." Fortunately, everyone here knows that jerk off has one title, thanks only to some seriously questionable calls in a home game of a regional final.
I don't disagree with any of that, but I do think they will be in Dayton

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
FWIW I don’t think we’re gettin a 1 seed but fun to speculate!

Yeah I think we were too far back to make up that much ground in a weekend, and I don't get the sense the committee values conference tourneys as much as we hope.

Still, the fact it's a debate is awesome - we'll be talked about all day on CBS leading up to the selections.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006

The above is an example of an exclusive tournament where only select, hi profile teams get invited.
It isn't even that we weren't playing UNC, Tennessee, Duke, insert overrated blue blood, it's that we played a bunch of Q4 games. Replace one of those with a Q2 and our non-con sos goes up to the mid 200s and we are a slam dunk for a one seed.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I need some of you worry warts to explain the Neb in Omaha worry. Why? Haven’t those games been sold out for awhile? Iowa state fans have been buying up tickets for weeks.

It’s crazy to see we are no worse than a 2 and there are this many people scared of ******* Nebraska.