Bracketology 2024

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Does Tennessee getting blasted have any influence?

I don't think it does because the committee won't put Iowa State and Houston in the same region. Even if Tennessee would slide to a lower 2 I still think they are going to be in the South. A Marquette loss could change that though. If we beat Baylor and Marquette loses we probably jump them for the Midwest 2 seed. That could Push Tennessee to the East.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
May be an unpopular opinion, but at this point I'd rather lose to Baylor and ISU get jumped on the 2 line. If ISU remains the lowest 2 seed, they're likely headed to the East region with UConn. I think I'd rather be the best 3 seed, and get the Midwest region draw. Even if they beat Baylor I'm not sure it's enough to jump very far up the 2 line.

Omaha likely already a lock it seems as a 2 or 3, but after that being in the Midwest region would be huge. At the end of the day 2 vs 3 seed isn't much different (outside of maybe bragging rights?), so I would rather have as good of a chance at a location advantage as possible. I think being the highest 3 seed would give them that nod vs being the lowest 2 seed.

side note: If my thought process is totally wrong, and it's mainly based off geographical location for placement regardless of overall seeding, or this has already been discussed...take it easy on me :)
I want Purdue in our bracket as the 1, they don’t have the guard play

Joseph Hathaway

Jan 21, 2024
I just enjoy doing this every once and a while...

View attachment 125600

Brooklyn = (2) Connecticut; (12) Kentucky
Charlotte = (4) Tennessee; (5) North Carolina
Indianapolis = (1) Purdue; (7) Marquette
Memphis = (3) Houston; (10) Baylor
Omaha = (8) Iowa State; (13) Kansas
Pittsburgh = (9) Creighton; (11) Duke
Salt Lake City = (6) Arizona; (14) Illinois
Spokane = (15) Alabama; (16) Auburn

I think we look pretty safe for Omaha.

Kansas might lose that to Illinois. The competition for Memphis between Baylor, Duke, and Kentucky matters, too -- if Baylor slips, then one of those other two might end up in Memphis. The knock-on effect of that could be dropping Baylor into heading to Omaha instead of heading to Memphis.
Creighton would go to Memphis before Pittsburgh and both Duke and UK would go to Pittsburgh before Memphis

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
It's 100% geography driven. If NC would fall off the 1 line they would be the first 2 seed placed and they would be put in Boston because it's closest.
Not sure it’s 100% geographically driven. For example, if UConn and NC were in the same conference, they wouldn’t p,ace them in the same region as one and two seeds. I think you’re saying that geography matters more than seeding when determining where to place the higher seeds.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Got to think losing here is better for Tennessee so they don't get shipped west. Same for North Carolina. Both probably would prefer a 2 seed in a region closer to home.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Apropos of nothing, it's pretty amazing how every year ISU is either good enough to be solidly in the NCAA Tournament, or bad enough that we're certain we won't get in. Has there been a single instance in the last, say, 30 years where we were sweating it out on Selection Sunday? Even in our (relatively rare) NIT seasons I don't recall there ever being any doubt about our postseason fate.
Last I remember Johny was on national TV chatting to **** Vitale about being on the bubble?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not sure it’s 100% geographically driven. For example, if UConn and NC were in the same conference, they wouldn’t p,ace them in the same region as one and two seeds. I think you’re saying that geography matters more than seeding when determining where to place the higher seeds.

Outside of conference exceptions, yes it's driven by geography.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
May be an unpopular opinion, but at this point I'd rather lose to Baylor and ISU get jumped on the 2 line. If ISU remains the lowest 2 seed, they're likely headed to the East region with UConn. I think I'd rather be the best 3 seed, and get the Midwest region draw. Even if they beat Baylor I'm not sure it's enough to jump very far up the 2 line.

Omaha likely already a lock it seems as a 2 or 3, but after that being in the Midwest region would be huge. At the end of the day 2 vs 3 seed isn't much different (outside of maybe bragging rights?), so I would rather have as good of a chance at a location advantage as possible. I think being the highest 3 seed would give them that nod vs being the lowest 2 seed.

side note: If my thought process is totally wrong, and it's mainly based off geographical location for placement regardless of overall seeding, or this has already been discussed...take it easy on me :)
Screw that. Beat Baylor then Houston and take a trophy back to Ames.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
It's 100% geography driven. If NC would fall off the 1 line they would be the first 2 seed placed and they would be put in Boston because it's closest.
Not at the regional level it isn’t. It’s about matching up teams that align in the S-Curve (while maintaining other rules like avoiding conference matchups from the top teams, etc.)

Reactions: Acer88

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
If you can't beat Drake in a 3/11 game you don't really deserve to go the S16.
While this may be true, I don’t think anyone wants us to play that “off” game against Drake where they pick us off and we have to hear a year’s worth of Iowa media loving the story. Already puking at the thought.

Reactions: exCYtable

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I WANT UCONN!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Last I remember Johny was on national TV chatting to **** Vitale about being on the bubble?
Yeah, '92. There was lead-up discussion to bracket reveal that assumed James Madison and Iowa State may be vying for the final slot. But ISU wound up as a 10 seed, so the projections were a bit off. (JMU didn't get invite).

Edit - @ca4cy posted clip shortly before my post. (Although that doesn't include majority of the studio discussion, just the classic punchline)

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Yeah, '92. There was lead-up discussion to bracket reveal that assumed James Madison and Iowa State may be vying for the final slot. But ISU wound up as a 10 seed, so the projections were a bit off. (JMU didn't get invite).

Edit - @ca4cy posted clip shortly before my post. (Although that doesn't include majority of the studio discussion, just the classic punchline)
I've never stumbled across the whole discussion. Just Johnny taking out Vitale from the top rope. The whole segment was pretty spirited iirc. Johnny told Lefty he'd win 30 games if he played in their conference.

Not to derail the thread but I feel sorry for people that never got to experience Johnny first hand. His pressers, post games with Pete and other interactions were the stuff of legend. What a classic that guy was.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

This is dumb because you want the Cyclones to lose to Baylor.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

Help Support Us

Become a patron