Bowen Born

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Last night we were missing shots that were very much wide open. I just can't figure out how you can devote that much time in a gym to shooting and still not be any good at it, and I'm afraid I'll never understand it.

We don’t have a single pure shooter on the roster. I have a purer shot than any player ISU currently has. I’m not saying I’m a better basketball player, or that I could play against college guys. I’m saying if you put a video of me shooting jumpers and the ISU players shooting jumpers side by side without seeing the results and put up a poll that asked: which shot form looks more pure, I would win.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Or they are playing against Iowa State on a given night.

The Big 12 last year --

1607027803542.png

#7 in 3PT%

We were not exactly great at it, but you are acting like we were some horrifying negative outlier. We were not.

Much better teams than us overall (e.g., 9-9 in the conference WVU) were much worse than us from deep.

But yes, I know they had other ways to win, like WVU being an elite defense team basically every season.

The things where we were horrifying negative outliers were defense and rebounding, not shooting.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The only nonsense is what you are posting. Telling the mods to close a thread like you are the king of Cyclonefantic. Umm just ignore this post. It's pretty easy.
My bad. Once I became aware he could dunk it was hard for me to ignore it. Won't happen again

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have always thought that if I didn't want to have people begging MODs to shut down a thread right after I posted in it I should probably avoid posting really, really stupid **** in it.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
The Big 12 last year --

View attachment 78724

#7 in 3PT%

We were not exactly great at it, but you are acting like we were some horrifying negative outlier. We were not.

Much better teams than us overall (e.g., 9-9 in the conference WVU) were much worse than us from deep.

But yes, I know they had other ways to win, like WVU being an elite defense team basically every season.

The things where we were horrifying negative outliers were defense and rebounding, not shooting.
I think he was referring to this
1607031553973.png

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Which is consistent with what I said.

We were not terrible (merely mediocre) at shooting the ball ourselves.

We were abysmal defensively on any metric you want to use -- 3PT% given up would be one of the many.
I think the inability to rebound also is a factor. When you give up offensive rebounds you more often than not are in scramble mode on defense which often leads to wide open looks from 3. For some reason most players shoot much more accurately when unguarded.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think the inability to rebound also is a factor. When you give up offensive rebounds you more often than not are in scramble mode on defense which often leads to wide open looks from 3. For some reason most players shoot much more accurately when unguarded.

Yeah, it's hard to be good at basketball when the upshot of the other team missing a shot is an easier shot they make that is worth 50% more points. Far too often that is the outcome for us on defense/the defensive glass.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
We do realize that 99.9999% of college players are absolutely horrible at spacing and shot selection right?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I get what you are saying. Any freshman is most likely going to be a defensive liability to start. However, with his dad being Alumni, him living right down the road in Norwalk, his ability to knock down three pointers and he can dunk at 5;10 or 5"11 pending the service saying his height. It was a no brainer. A lot of Iowa kids don't get offered by power 5 schools. Not to mention the fact that a lot of our three pointers have been wide open. He would have knocked them down. It's just frustrating to see us go all over the United States to find players when one of the players we could have got was right down the street not to mention his dad was a star for us. At the very worst he ends up like some of the others and transfers after a year. Think Grill.

If it was a no brainer, Fran would have offered him because he offers basically any warm body Iowa kid.

CyBronco2121

Mar 20, 2015
Cumming
Hard part with men’s basketball. I would like to see more Iowa recruits on the roster - Foster was promising and I would like to see more. I understand Iowa doesn’t produce to many d1 players but it’s nice having a bench with a couple of Iowa players. Its the connection as a fan.