Bowen Born

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Who has played so well their minutes should be guaranteed? Bolton is soft, a huge defensive liability and disappears for long stretches, JCL has 10 turnovers in 2 games, Harris shoots well but doesn't appear to be able to create his own shot and again, atrocious on defense. Born wouldn't be the savior but none of our guards are irreplaceable. We have a team full of role players that don't fit well together and none fill the role Born would bring.

Yeah, we are missing that scrappy White guy who can shoot but is a turnstile on defense role pretty badly.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Who has played so well their minutes should be guaranteed? Bolton is soft, a huge defensive liability and disappears for long stretches, JCL has 10 turnovers in 2 games, Harris shoots well but doesn't appear to be able to create his own shot and again, atrocious on defense. Born wouldn't be the savior but none of our guards are irreplaceable. We have a team full of role players that don't fit well together and none fill the role Born would bring.

Born and JCL don't play the same position or role and can't.

I guarantee Bolton and Harris aren't any worse on defense than Born.

If Born isn't a role player on a team like ISU's, that team would suck.

Regardless, it didn't happen, probably shouldn't have happened, and I don't get people being interested in this.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Born and JCL don't play the same position or role and can't.

I guarantee Bolton and Harris aren't any worse on defense than Born.

If Born isn't a role player on a team like ISU's, that team would suck.

Regardless, it didn't happen, probably shouldn't have happened, and I don't get people being interested in this.

Nothing he's done in the first 3 games changes the fact that you can understand the non-offer. He may wind up being good at UNI, but it's not a miss to have not offered him.

Reactions: CyTwins

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Nothing he's done in the first 3 games changes the fact that you can understand the non-offer. He may wind up being good at UNI, but it's not a miss to have not offered him.

Win and Losses have nothing to do with Born being good or not. Fact is the kid can ball and would add to this team. He actually makes a lot of shots and three pointers where we struggle. We are getting transfers that chuck up 8 three pointers and make one. We get that transfer for one year. We get a kid like Born who is actually a better shooter and we could get him for 4 years, put some strength on him and watch him improve. Not offering him made no sense then and seeing how his first three games have gone, makes even less sense now. Kid can ball and we missed.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Win and Losses have nothing to do with Born being good or not. Fact is the kid can ball and would add to this team. He actually makes a lot of shots and three pointers where we struggle. We are getting transfers that chuck up 8 three pointers and make one. We get that transfer for one year. We get a kid like Born who is actually a better shooter and we could get him for 4 years, put some strength on him and watch him improve. Not offering him made no sense then and seeing how his first three games have gone, makes even less sense now. Kid can ball and we missed.

He's played 3 games and as others have mentioned he's a bit of a defensive liability. So we can pump the brakes a bit. Also worth nothing he is in a backcourt with an elite PG who is drawing a great deal of attention, which can't hurt Born's offensive output.

I think there were sufficient concerns to justify not offering. With the benefit of hindsight, maybe it was a mistake. But it wasn't just us as no other P5 school appeared to want him either.

• Winner
Reactions: CyTwins

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Athletic black guys who are turnstiles on defense and can't shoot are better....?

Baffling how Prohm can put together a whole team of basketball players and no one can make an outside shot. Hopefully it will get better, but it sure didn't last year.

Reactions: JVAR

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Baffling how Prohm can put together a whole team of basketball players and no one can make an outside shot. Hopefully it will get better, but it sure didn't last year.

Division one basketball players who spend countless hours in a gym devoted to developing their craft who cannot make a jumpshot baffles me. It's one of the great mysteries of the world.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Division one basketball players who spend countless hours in a gym devoted to developing their craft who cannot make a jumpshot baffles me. It's one of the great mysteries of the world.

Watching the NBA, there are two things about its style that jump out at me compared to college ball...

(1.) Pace of play. The NBA is just faster because the players are faster and because of the 24-second clock.

(2.) I do not know if shooting % numbers would back this up, but it has always felt to me that NBA guys drill open shots at a MUCH higher clip than do college players. College ball is a brickyard in comparison.

Yes, college players have taken tens of thousands of shots over the course of thousands of hours, but even then most of them are bad at it compared to those rare few who get paid millions to do it professionally.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Watching the NBA, there are two things about its style that jump out at me compared to college ball...

(1.) Pace of play. The NBA is just faster because the players are faster and because of the 24-second clock.

(2.) I do not know if shooting % numbers would back this up, but it has always felt to me that NBA guys drill open shots at a MUCH higher clip than do college players. College ball is a brickyard in comparison.

Yes, college players have taken tens of thousands of shots over the course of thousands of hours, but even then most of them are bad at it compared to those rare few who get paid millions to do it professionally.

Last night we were missing shots that were very much wide open. I just can't figure out how you can devote that much time in a gym to shooting and still not be any good at it, and I'm afraid I'll never understand it.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

We didn't miss. We passed. That might have been a mistake but it's going to take more than 3 games to determine that.

Reactions: Neptune78

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Athletic black guys who are turnstiles on defense and can't shoot are better....?
Have you watched Born play this year? He looks like a mite out there and was literally a warm body against Utah State. He stood around the perimeter, and for some reason hanged out at the top of the key on defense. Doing nothing in both cases. He is not close to a difference maker.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick and CyTwins

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
He's played 3 games and as others have mentioned he's a bit of a defensive liability. So we can pump the brakes a bit. Also worth nothing he is in a backcourt with an elite PG who is drawing a great deal of attention, which can't hurt Born's offensive output.

I think there were sufficient concerns to justify not offering. With the benefit of hindsight, maybe it was a mistake. But it wasn't just us as no other P5 school appeared to want him either.

I get what you are saying. Any freshman is most likely going to be a defensive liability to start. However, with his dad being Alumni, him living right down the road in Norwalk, his ability to knock down three pointers and he can dunk at 5;10 or 5"11 pending the service saying his height. It was a no brainer. A lot of Iowa kids don't get offered by power 5 schools. Not to mention the fact that a lot of our three pointers have been wide open. He would have knocked them down. It's just frustrating to see us go all over the United States to find players when one of the players we could have got was right down the street not to mention his dad was a star for us. At the very worst he ends up like some of the others and transfers after a year. Think Grill.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I get what you are saying. Any freshman is most likely going to be a defensive liability to start. However, with his dad being Alumni, him living right down the road in Norwalk, his ability to knock down three pointers and he can dunk at 5;10 or 5"11 pending the service saying his height. It was a no brainer. A lot of Iowa kids don't get offered by power 5 schools. Not to mention the fact that a lot of our three pointers have been wide open. He would have knocked them down. It's just frustrating to see us go all over the United States to find players when one of the players we could have got was right down the street not to mention his dad was a star for us. At the very worst he ends up like some of the others and transfers after a year. Think Grill.
Lol no

Mods please close this thread

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Nice story and all, but he was a 5'10" unranked recruit with 0 other P5 offers. I'll fault Prohm for alot, but not going after this kid was reasonable.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Last night we were missing shots that were very much wide open. I just can't figure out how you can devote that much time in a gym to shooting and still not be any good at it, and I'm afraid I'll never understand it.

Because it is really hard to do -- even on your own, never mind when 6'6"+ guys are trying to stop you.

The ones who are really good at it are not playing college (at least for very long) and making millions for it.

• Winner
Reactions: NENick

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Because it is really hard to do -- even on your own, never mind when 6'6"+ guys are trying to stop you.

The ones who are really good at it are not playing college (at least for very long) and making millions for it.

Or they are playing against Iowa State on a given night.