Bowen Born

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Born is blowing up. About to be crowned Mr. Basketball in the state. We haven't had a Mr. Basketball since '07 and he only stayed a semester here...

I think Prohm should go after him hard. Throw a Preferred walk-on at him, if not, give him Tyrese's scholarship after the season.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Born is blowing up. About to be crowned Mr. Basketball in the state. We haven't had a Mr. Basketball since '07 and he only stayed a semester here...

I think Prohm should go after him hard. Throw a Preferred walk-on at him, if not, give him Tyrese's scholarship after the season.

Easily one of the best high school players I've seen. Where that projects in college, I'm not sure, but he's fun to watch.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Yeah I think we missed on him. I was not sold on him and you can see my posts regarding him on this thread. Thought he was to short. However, I have watched Norwalk play several times this year and he can light it up. We could really use his shooting. The only way we can recruit him now is after he goes to UNI if he decides to transfer. Otherwise its a violation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Acylum

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Nothing prevented him from walking on before he signed with UNI.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah I think we missed on him. I was not sold on him and you can see my posts regarding him on this thread. Thought he was to short. However, I have watched Norwalk play several times this year and he can light it up. We could really use his shooting. The only way we can recruit him now is after he goes to UNI if he decides to transfer. Otherwise its a violation.

He's still only 5'11".

He better be ridiculous at something to play in the Big 12 at that height.

Even getting a shot off is going to be hard at that height.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Hey, it's not like it could have gone any worse than it did with Leech and Anderson.
Totally agree, and if he ends up being a miss he ends up being a miss. We have one or two in every class, dating back to as long as I can remember. It's not just a Prohm issue. The worst thing that happens is he's a miss. The best thing? He is a legit competitor, 4 year player, in state kid that goes on to be a productive Big 12 player by maybe his sophomore season if he's willing to redshirt a year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Well, he's a whole inch shorter than Prentiss Nixon, except he's good at this thing called basketball.

He's playing against high schoolers.

Nixon isn't exactly the greatest guard we've ever had at Iowa State in our history but consider who he is playing against night after night.

Nixon would probably be pretty good in the Little Hawkeye Conference, too.

You may be right about this -- but you could very well be wrong, too.

Bowen, even if a legacy, in a Cyclone uniform sounds like a guy that the boo birds on here are complaining about like, "Why the **** did Prohm recruit this short, slow, nonathletic white dude and pretend his could grow into a Big 12 player? BIG MISS!!!"

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

PeprahGH

Nov 20, 2019
He's going to put up good numbers in the Valley. Just not a Power 5 guard.

Am I the only one that thinks the same of Caleb Grill?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

nope. I feel the same. Grill is a Custer type to me. He’d be really good in the Valley as well.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think he would have been worth the risk, I see him as a kid who would contribute 2/3 years down the road. That's not really Prohm's style though. Not a big deal , I don't think he would have been a program changer type of kid and I like the guys we have coming in more.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Caleb Grill has the size and athleticism to work with. He's 6'3" and probably 185 right now. Bowen Born is 5'11" 165.

Caleb Grill offers: Kansas State, Iowa State, UNLV, Texas Tech, Creighton, Nebraska, SMU, Washington State

Bowen Born offers: UNI, Drake, Bowling Green, Indiana State, South Dakota

Caleb was a multi-sport athlete who never specialized. Let's give him some time to fully develop he's incredibly young.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

nope. I feel the same. Grill is a Custer type to me. He’d be really good in the Valley as well.

Two points about this --

(1.) So Grill already fills that "niche" on the roster. No need for a second.

(2.) Grill is a high-level or even elite athlete but not particularly skilled or experienced. He's not the "good fundamentals, limited athlete" archetype you normally think about with a white guy from Iowa or Kansas. He's an upside development project.

Deonte Burton was the same way coming out of high school -- absolute freak of nature athlete, but not much of a basketball player yet... which he grew into.

Grill is not on Burton's level (and very few are), but it is the same idea.