Bowen Born

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Honestly why do people care about UNI or Drake at this point? We don’t play them, UNI especially is almost a non entity in the metro, etc. I think the way UNI plays basketball is an assault on the eyeballs but it seems basically moot. I don’t care if any Iowa kid goes to either school at this point.

Edit: UNI is also really struggling to get any good noncon games. The chance I actually watch UNI at any point in the foreseeable future is low. I guess maybe in 2021 I might watch an NCAA game according to some posters but that’s 18 months away.

We all know the flame war threads on here -- Clones versus Hawks, anything with the other instate rivals, stuff with Nebraska, KU, KSU, Democrats and Republicans, Trump versus whoever -- get far more traffic and comment than anything else. With it self-evident that people do care and invest more energy into that stuff than anything else, what do we conclude?

Why do we care? Because hating things is fun.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Honestly why do people care about UNI or Drake at this point? We don’t play them, UNI especially is almost a non entity in the metro, etc. I think the way UNI plays basketball is an assault on the eyeballs but it seems basically moot. I don’t care if any Iowa kid goes to either school at this point.

Edit: UNI is also really struggling to get any good noncon games. The chance I actually watch UNI at any point in the foreseeable future is low. I guess maybe in 2021 I might watch an NCAA game according to some posters but that’s 18 months away.
My contempt for UNI comes from my in-laws mostly

They are from eastern Iowa, and multiple family members went to UNI. Only one went to Iowa. ALL of them are 100% for Iowa and pay no attention to UNI, with two exceptions: the 1 week a year that ISU plays UNI in football, and whenever UNI makes the NCAA tourney. Otherwise they couldn't tell you a damn thing about the UNI teams. But, those two times a year, they are ALL IN PANTHER SUPERFANS. The years when we lost to them in football were painful.

The Pantherhawk syndrome is real, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

They are from eastern Iowa, and multiple family members went to UNI. Only one went to Iowa. ALL of them are 100% for Iowa and pay no attention to UNI, with two exceptions: the 1 week a year that ISU plays UNI in football, and whenever UNI makes the NCAA tourney. Otherwise they couldn't tell you a damn thing about the UNI teams. But, those two times a year, they are ALL IN PANTHER SUPERFANS. The years when we lost to them in football were painful.

And I bet they cheer for Iowa when UNI plays Iowa.....

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I have friends from UNI that will be wearing UNI shirt this Saturday and will be back in two weeks wearing Iowa shirts. Disgusts me.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I have friends from UNI that will be wearing UNI shirt this Saturday and will be back in two weeks wearing Iowa shirts. Disgusts me.

This. I have friends who went to Coe or Simpson or whatever and cheer for Iowa (or any school) and that doesn’t bother me at all because they’re different divisions and literally will never compete. Uni has their own football and basketball team that plays Iowa/ISU. Why they don’t cheer for them when they play baffles me.

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This. I have friends who went to Coe or Simpson or whatever and cheer for Iowa (or any school) and that doesn’t bother me at all because they’re different divisions and literally will never compete. Uni has their own football and basketball team that plays Iowa/ISU. Why they don’t cheer for them when they play baffles me.
All props to you if you go to these schools for academic purposes or to play a sport. I have no problem with you cheering for the bigger schools that you probably grew up liking.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have a friend that lives around Cedar Falls and has always been an Iowa fan but now roots for UNI as well. The difference? Her son now goes to UNI. I think that is perfectly fine - except when she puts her crap ass hawkeye chair on our tailgating bus. ;)

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I have a friend that lives around Cedar Falls and has always been an Iowa fan but now roots for UNI as well. The difference? Her son now goes to UNI. I think that is perfectly fine - except when she puts her crap ass hawkeye chair on our tailgating bus. ;)
If this stuff was happening in small occurrences, I'd have no problem with it. But it's an actual epidemic. Lol

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
there are dumpsters at the rest areas

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I am the biggest Cyclone fan but if my son or daughter received a scholarship offer to play sports at Iowa and didn't get an ISU offer. No way I would discourage them from going to Iowa. I would even root for them when my kid was playing.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
First issue is that you should have raised them properly to not even consider going to another instate school.

I genuinely feel bad for your kids that you would, or have, imposed this much will on their decision where to attend college. Thankful my parents treated me as an adult and allowed me to make that decision on my own.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I have zero proof of this, but I always thought Jeremy Morgan chose UNI over us because we were Iowa State and his dad played for Iowa.