Blake Hinson Committed To ISU!

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Grill is the only guy to have left early that I think we might kind of miss someday. Then again, he was pretty bad last year... sorry to the Grill family... so the odds are against even that. Maybe he turns into a good player out in Las Vegas for UNLV.

If he had really seized a guard spot last year, we'd feel a lot better right now.

Grill played with two injuries last year. Despite that he hustled and played hard. One injury was to his wrist. He felt better at the very end and you saw glimpse of what he could be. He confidently nailed three 3 pointers in the Big 12 tournament game.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don’t think Grill was a reach. He was raw and struggled to find his shot, but I think he was a legit recruit last spring.
Maybe not a reach in the classical sense, but he was bad last year, saw the writing on the wall and decided he'd rather find greener pastures than try to stick it out and compete for playing time. I'm not faulting prohm for taking him, there was/is enough potential there to take a gamble on, but if we could've signed someone later in the summer with immediate eligibility and impact that scholarship would've been much more useful than it turned out being. I know Grill had a handful of P6 offers but in reality he should thrive much more at a place/ level where UNLV is at.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
ISU targeted 3 HS guards in the spring 2019 cycle

Sahvir Wheeler
Clarence Nadolny
Caleb Grill

unfortunately they landed the “worst” one

I think we'll likely see Nadolny in the portal next year after he rides pine again

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Maybe not a reach in the classical sense, but he was bad last year, saw the writing on the wall and decided he'd rather find greener pastures than try to stick it out and compete for playing time. I'm not faulting prohm for taking him, there was/is enough potential there to take a gamble on, but if we could've signed someone later in the summer with immediate eligibility and impact that scholarship would've been much more useful than it turned out being. I know Grill had a handful of P6 offers but in reality he should thrive much more at a place/ level where UNLV is at.

That's pretty harsh, after Grill committed to ISU over TT, UNLV and KSU, I believe there was still still 2 open scholarships one going to Bolton the other going to Javian a month later. It may not have worked out better than a grad transfer but there were only a few of those available in early May and far from a guarantee that ISU would get one.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Ole Miss coach was on Golic and WIngo this morning. He says Hinson never once mentioned the Mississippi flag as an issue for him. So Hinson will now likely have to defend that, although completely understandable you would be afraid to say anything against Mississippi or its flag while you are still there.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Ole Miss coach was on Golic and WIngo this morning. He says Hinson never once mentioned the Mississippi flag as an issue for him. So Hinson will now likely have to defend that, although completely understandable you would be afraid to say anything against Mississippi or its flag while you are still there.

The team is still called the "Rebels."

And it isn't a reference to Admiral Ackbar.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The NCAA is not going to make Hinson defend his decision if that is why he transferred. As shown by the response of some Mississippi State fans, citizens in that state aren't going to back you up when speaking out against the state flag.

This is not the time for the NCAA to sit here and say, "Prove to us you were uncomfortable".

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am terrified Mississippi is going to change their flag to yet another one of those boring "state seal on a dark blue background" ones.

The old one obviously needed to go, but please do something more aesthetically interesting than the default Microsoft Word template.

Last edited:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Big 12 is going to be brutal this coming season

https://barttorvik.com/?&conlimit=

upload_2020-6-29_14-46-25.png

40% of the league appears on paper that they are final four contenders. Makes me less worried about the waiver situation. If Harris and Hinson have to sit out.. ISU could be really strong in 2021-2022. If both are granted waivers, then we get to watch a better product and compete for a tourney seed this year.

Let it be clear, I want to compete now. But the future is a lot brighter today than it was following the Big 12 Tourney

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology/

Big 12 is going to be brutal this coming season

https://barttorvik.com/?&conlimit=

View attachment 73121

40% of the league appears on paper that they are final four contenders. Makes me less worried about the waiver situation. If Harris and Hinson have to sit out.. ISU could be really strong in 2021-2022. If both are granted waivers, then we get to watch a better product and compete for a tourney seed this year.

Let it be clear, I want to compete now. But the future is a lot brighter today than it was following the Big 12 Tourney

Keeping Bolton around for his senior year becomes the key concern then.

The team the year after this (as a hypothetical lineup) --

Harris (off a RS or not, in his 4th year)
Bolton (senior)
Johnson (fifth-year senior)
Hinson (off a RS or not, in his 4th year)
Foster (now a seasoned sophomore... and still 7' tall)
---
Jackson III (designed bench gunner as a junior)
Blackwell (as a more seasoned sophomore... or any of the other guards)
Conditt IV (senior, tag-teaming with Foster)

Plus whatever we land for recruits in the next 14+ months.

That is a team designed to peak that year -- if Bolton is around to lead it.

Prohm has worked pretty hard on getting this program to be old again.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I am terrified Mississippi is going to change their flag to yet another one of those boring "state seal on a dark blue background" ones.

The old one obviously needed to go, but please do something more aesthetically interesting than the default Microsoft Word template.
Hey!

1200px-Flag_of_Minnesota.svg.png

;)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron