Black Friday deals

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Amazon and others have started already. Anyone find anything good? Personally, I'm looking for a cordless vacuum and wifi thermostat (ecobee or similar).

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I picked up a couple cheap monitors for the kids from Dell. 24" monitors for $70.

But other than that, I'm not seeing many great deals. Unless you're in the market for a TV. They seem to be practically giving those away.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
If 98" and $60k is too much, I picked up one of these two weeks ago to use as a second monitor for working at home. It is working great. Not really Black Friday but still a good deal. I also learned to delve into the specs. Some TVs are listed as 1080p but are not true 1920x1080 resolution but barely over 720p at 1366 x 768. This one is true 1920 x 1080 resolution so text and images are clear (use it for CAD).

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
We're due for upgrades on our phones (Verizon customers). They have some deals going now, but we're wondering if they'll be better around Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
If 98" and $60k is too much, I picked up one of these two weeks ago to use as a second monitor for working at home. It is working great. Not really Black Friday but still a good deal. I also learned to delve into the specs. Some TVs are listed as 1080p but are not true 1920x1080 resolution but barely over 720p at 1366 x 768. This one is true 1920 x 1080 resolution so text and images are clear (use it for CAD).

I like it. Wondering if its better to go this route or to buy a TV with Roku/etc. built into it.

I'll add, I have a Smart TV but had to buy a Roku to add to it because apparently its an old Smart TV and the new apps don't work on the old Smart TVs.

So I guess I'm answering my own question: don't buy something with Roku/etc built in. Right?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I like it. Wondering if its better to go this route or to buy a TV with Roku/etc. built into it.

I'll add, I have a Smart TV but had to buy a Roku to add to it because apparently its an old Smart TV and the new apps don't work on the old Smart TVs.

So I guess I'm answering my own question: don't buy something with Roku/etc built in. Right?

I really like my TV with Fire TV built in. It’s way less laggy and glitchy than fire sticks

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Amazon and others have started already. Anyone find anything good? Personally, I'm looking for a cordless vacuum and wifi thermostat (ecobee or similar).

Watch for Dyson deals at Target, Walmart etc. They usually have some great cordless vacuum deals for Black Friday week but don't really advertise them much.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

I have both and the built in has worked great in the bedroom. In my particular situation, this TV is always hooked to a laptop (second monitor) so I can always access Netflix and streaming services through the laptop and didn't need a secondary device (built in or stick).

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
I picked up a PS5 and a new Sony Bravia 900H on sale so I think my holiday shopping is done for the year. The TV is really nice though, blows my old TCL 4K TV away.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Just bought a TCL series 6 with the built in Roku. Was really skeptical of that specifically but I really like it, works better than the external Roku boxes we have. It also takes your inputs and puts them in the home menu, so each input is basically just an app you can select. Convenient if you have a bunch of stuff connected to your TV, DVD player, game consoles, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: dualthreat

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I really like my TV with Fire TV built in. It’s way less laggy and glitchy than fire sticks
I have both and the built in has worked great in the bedroom. In my particular situation, this TV is always hooked to a laptop (second monitor) so I can always access Netflix and streaming services through the laptop and didn't need a secondary device (built in or stick).

So I guess the question becomes "how long do i have this tv before i will replace it?"

Built in > Add on

Until the built in becomes obsolete

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

While researching TVs for that purchase I noticed a lot of the new smart TVs have a minimalized remote without number buttons. I don't think I would like that. They do have buttons for direct access to Netflix and most popular streams. I still watch a lot of network TV (antenna) so I would want number buttons. My smart TV remote still has number buttons.

And get off my lawn!

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone